Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - Ordered today but didn't get premium package. Is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm switching from a Model S 85 with tech package to non-PUP MS 60D. I don't think I'll miss the power lift gate that much, since I find that closing chime really annoying. Also, it open and closes too slowly for me. Has anyone noticed a significant difference in how the steering wheel feels in a non-PUP MS? It feels a lot rougher to the touch compared to my 2013 tech package MS.

I'm switching from a Model S 85 with tech package to non-PUP MS 60D. I don't think I'll miss the power lift gate that much, since I find that closing chime really annoying. Also, it open and closes too slowly for me. Has anyone noticed a significant difference in how the steering wheel feels in a non-PUP MS? It feels a lot rougher to the touch compared to my 2013 tech package MS.
I like how I don't have to touch the wet dirty back of my car with the power liftgate. That's pribably not an issue in Sunnyvale.

The filter is the best part. I haven't smelled any car exhaust yet while driving my Tesla. Had to drive the ice yesterday and definitely got some whiffs of pollution coming in through my vents.
This is an interesting observation and I feel the same way. Even though I don't keep it on biohazard mode, I have found that I never smell nasty exhaust/diesel while in the model S. I drove my wife's volvo the other day and it was a completely different experience.

This is an interesting observation and I feel the same way. Even though I don't keep it on biohazard mode, I have found that I never smell nasty exhaust/diesel while in the model S. I drove my wife's volvo the other day and it was a completely different experience.
I put it in biohazard mode once yesterday, when a big plume of diesel smoke came out of the truck in front of me, at a stop light. It should really be called industrial pollution mode. Although I'm pretty sure you are getting the benefits of the filter without cranking up the fan speed.

I put it in biohazard mode once yesterday, when a big plume of diesel smoke came out of the truck in front of me, at a stop light. It should really be called industrial pollution mode. Although I'm pretty sure you are getting the benefits of the filter without cranking up the fan speed.

Looks like this will be rather useful in LA then

How often does the Bio-Hepa Filter have to be serviced and how much does that cost? That's the one feature I could do without. I wish they would add the power lift as standard equipment. That's really the only feature I would want in the PUP.

For reasons unknown (to me), the power lift gate is standard in Canada. Made the PUP, which I got, a less compelling purchase. In the end I'm glad I got it for the HEPA and ambient lighting (I'm a sucker for nice interior lighting).

For me, the power lift gate alone, is a big thing. You are already spending so much money as it is, spending a bit more to get a feature which should be standard to begin with (yes it's frustrating) isn't a big deal. When you are buying a luxury car (yes Tesla calls Model S a luxury car instead of a performance car), power lift gate adds to the luxury ;)

Thanks for your help guys. She arrived yesterday!
WhatsApp Image 2017-02-18 at 1.57.42 PM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-02-18 at 1.57.41 PM.jpeg

I was placing my order right around the same time this thread came to a close. I ended up not purchasing the the Premium Upgrades Package. I am currently driving a 2014 P85D loaner that is equipped with the PUP. While it is quite nice, I would still save my money if I did it again. I plan on keeping the car until the autopilot can't see anymore / the wheels fall off.

After driving a MS with and without PUP, these are my thoughts:
  • Leather arm rests, steering wheel and lower dashboard when paired with leather seating: The leather on these parts of the car is nice in my loaner. At first, I could not tell much of a difference with the steering wheel in my S60 vs. the upgraded leather in the showroom. There is a difference of course, it is slight, but definitely a difference. If you like a leather steering wheel, which I do, you will miss it a bit if you forego the PUP. The tan leather in my loaner works a bit better with the MC red vs. the standard black interior - as far as looks are concerned. Although the textile seats are still very comfortable and well-made and will likely hold up better than any leather option. Alcantera accents are nice because it is different, however my practical side says these are tough to clean and are more of a gimmick of the high-end car world. Ambient lighting is a splurge. Definitely a nice tough, but not for the price. When you're driving at night especially, you want a cabin as dark as possible. I have always dimmed my displays to a very low level so that I can clearly see everything outside. The last thing I need is the distraction of some sporty lights on the interior. Great for passengers though. And with the Autopilot, I suppose I could sit back and admire the futuristic lighting. Eh, still not worth the price tag.
  • HEPA air filtration system: Certainly a nice touch. I was driving my 60S the other day and some exhaust made its way into the car even with recirculate on. The smell quickly dissipated as I drove passed the truck. I immediately thought - What if this had been a bio-weapons attack?! I would have been toast. The benefits of this feature are just not useful enough for the price IMO.
  • Three-position dynamic LED turning lights: These "three-position LED dynamic turning lights" do not actually turn. I think many mistakenly believed, including myself, that the lights actually turned as you turned the wheel - like many other luxury brands. The three individual lights that light in succession as you make a turn are a nice feature, but again, not worth the money.
  • LED fog lights: Nice, but not worth the extra money. The non-functioning plastic bits of the fog lights are still there on my non PUP. Like the bio-weapons feature, the fog lights would have so rare an application that it doesn't make sense for me.
  • Power liftgate: Of all the features of the PUP, this is the one I really wanted. However I could not justify the cost for this single, very-practical feature. I guess all those lucky Canadians get this included as a standard feature. I would pay $500 for this all day long, but not the $3500 asking price that the PUP goes for today.
  • Lighted door handles: Pretty neat, but it does not add to the performance. I would get used to this feature. Sure, my passengers would take note, however those comments are not worth the money.
  • Quick connection phone dock: Really? Guaranteed to snap and break IMO. I keep a USB charging cord with me if needed.
Must haves for me - these were the only options I selected.:
  • Enhanced Autopilot: My nearly 2-hour commute is something that I actually look forward to everyday now. It is an absolute pleasure having the vehicle drive you nearly 90% of the way. Future upgrades to autopilot will only make this feature more pleasurable.
  • Red Multi-Coat Paint: Never had a red car. For the Tesla, it made sense.
Wish I purchased:
  • Ultra High Fidelity Sound - The sub-woofer in my loaner makes all the difference. I will upgrade with something aftermarket down the road I think.
My thoughts on other features:
  • Smart Air Suspension: Neat, but another splurge.
  • Subzero Weather Package: Not in South Florida.
  • Rear-Facing Seats: What, only $4,000? Maybe if I was carting around a baseball team. Until then, nope.
  • High Amperage Charger Upgrade: Current home charging is relatively quick and this feature doesn't reduce the time enough to justify the expense.
  • Full Self-Driving Capability: Nope. I'd rather invest it in Tesla than spend money on something that doesn't exist yet. I will be purchasing this feature once it's made available and the initial bugs are worked out.
  • Glass Roof and sunroof: For sound insulation and sun protection, I said no. Definitely cool and affordable, but I wanted to focus on an insulated cabin and cancel as much outside noise as possible. The body color roof fits that bill.
  • Wheels: 21s look awesome, but 19s meet my need for a smooth and quiet ride.