Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help talk me away from the ledge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put in a Model S reservation in July of 2012, just so I could go on a test drive at the "Get Amped" tour when it was in New Jersey (a 4-5 hour drive each way for me), after test driving it, I had to have it. I've owned 4 different Prius's since 2001, my most recent was a 2012 "Plug in Prius" I only took delivery of in April of 2012. Needless to say, the PiP is in the garage, waiting to find a buyer, I should have skipped the PiP to tell the truth.... You won't regret buying a Model S.

Then, I mentioned my plan to my wife and brother-in-law... I got: "You're out of your F___ing mind!"
Take them both to a test drive. Whoever drives has to buy lunch. Watch them argue about it before the test drive. Then watch the "loser" (the one not buying lunch) even more upset after the test drive. I think they won't give you any more guff about buying the Car of the Year afterwards.

It's funny, yesterday after the test drive I was not as excited as I thought I would be... Then it built like a locomotive.

Grey 60, debating triple black or Grey over black with moonroof
Definite Tech Package, Air Suspension, Rear-facing Seats..
That red is a lovely color too...
:)

Stsanford, I was not that impressed by the test drive either. For that matter, I have never been impressed by any test drive. Most likely, because I don't drive the car like I would normally drive the car. I have been most impressed with the MS since I picked up my own car. Anyway, what is your verdict?

It's funny, yesterday after the test drive I was not as excited as I thought I would be... Then it built like a locomotive.

Grey 60, debating triple black or Grey over black with moonroof
Definite Tech Package, Air Suspension, Rear-facing Seats..
That red is a lovely color too...
:)

Consider the 85kWh version if that is a financial possibility. With winter in NY, you'll take a 10-15% hit on range but if you are staying within the city, the 60 kWh should be fine.

Consider the 85kWh version if that is a financial possibility. With winter in NY, you'll take a 10-15% hit on range but if you are staying within the city, the 60 kWh should be fine.

I agree. If I buy a second Model S (for the wife), I'd go 85kWh and I'd leave out the air suspension.

It's sounds as if you're diving in. Have you decided yet?

It sounds like the OP has made up his mind but I wanted to chime in too. I had a S2000 and a WRX prior to the Model S and I am a die hard car guy. I knew I would miss shifting my own gears, the roar of the engine, the smell of raw power...then my S85 showed up. Living with it for 5 months now I will say without a doubt I don't miss any of if.

I loved manual transmissions becuase automatics are just that bad. Not have a traditional transmision in the MS just makes the experience that much sweeter. The lack of engine/exhaust noise is beautiful to my ears now. I realized that I like the sound of the exhaust because it helped me time my shifts...since I don't have to row gears at all I don't need it. Finally, the "smell of cars" I don't want anymore. It's like quiting smoking, while you're a smoker you don't notice how bad you stink until you quit and you're around somebody who still smokes.

Edit: I agree about the wife issue too as mentioned above. My wife has serious car envy now and she wants one. We are going to look at the X once it is avaiable for test drives.

Stsanford, I was not that impressed by the test drive either. For that matter, I have never been impressed by any test drive. Most likely, because I don't drive the car like I would normally drive the car. I have been most impressed with the MS since I picked up my own car. Anyway, what is your verdict?

Debating whether or not the paint protectant is a good value at $950 :wink: That's my verdict!

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. If I buy a second Model S (for the wife), I'd go 85kWh and I'd leave out the air suspension.

It's sounds as if you're diving in. Have you decided yet?

Yeah, I'm all in... Just debating options at this point.
Interesting about the air suspension... You don't think it makes that much of a difference?

Hey actually anyone on Long Island with an MS? I'm thinking the 60 is what I'm going to do as I don't drive THAT much in any given day, and for trips, we can take my wife's Cayenne. (yep.... she has one too)
I'm thinking 190mi range on it with the standard charge should be sufficient for a day. There is talk of swapping batteries / refurbishing wear items in 5 + years, maybe I can upgrade then? Range anexiety is a bit of an issue now, but I'm awful new at this. I don't think cars on Long Island go any slower than 75, so that would affect range, but it's as flat as a table (at least on the South Shore where I am), wondering what I'll see. My sales guy told me when he came into work, he was driving an MS and the commute was 35 mi, but he only used 8 mi of range. Sounds good to me!

- - - Updated - - -

My vote is for after-market paint protection. Tesla doesn't cover enough of the hood IMO.

If you buy the P85 or P85+, (if you're a Porsche convert, then why wouldn't you?), then the air suspension is included, so it doesn't matter.

Aah, interesting. Yes, not so crazy about the halfway solution, on my 911 I have a chip 5 mm above where the clear bra ends... grr

I'm not ready to commit to this EV thing 100%, so I'm staring with a baby-step. Hoping to do a 60 and if all is good, move up to an 85+ in a few years.

I'm not ready to commit to this EV thing 100%, so I'm staring with a baby-step. Hoping to do a 60 and if all is good, move up to an 85+ in a few years.

If you include SuperCharger access, the S85 is only $8k more than the S60. No brainer upgrade IMHO.

Wait until next week's SuperCharger announcement before making your decision. If you like what you see, you can sell the 911 and buy the car, (P85+), that does everything!

I feel like I could started this thread! I am currently driving a base Porsche Panamera 2011. I have two kids, and this was my compromise to have a great driving experience daily, but still have the ability to drive my kids when the wife is out with the SUV. I can't justify having a third "toy" car. S I had my test drive yesterday. I love many things about the model s, but have my few reservations. I like the styling, the acceleration, the touchscreen tech, the minimalist interior, the plug in good for environment no gasoline use, cool/unique factor, panoramic roof. I don't like the handling and interior finish quality and seat comfort and lack of ventilated seats compared to my Panamera. So my dilemma is I have to part with a car I love at this moment. I wish I could've bought the tesla back before the Panamera, and there would've been no question.

So I decided to go drive again tomorrow. This is mainly because I wasn't allowed to drive for a few miles on Highway, which I was told was because of some incident on highway test drive in past. This is my main commute. I want to see how it feels at 80mph changing lanes and road noise versus my Panamera and get a feel for the seat comfort again.

After that, I may take the plunge tomorrow. I just will have a hard time deciding between the matte obeche wood versus glossy to go with tan leather and blue exterior...

Yeah, I'm all in... Just debating options at this point.
Interesting about the air suspension... You don't think it makes that much of a difference?

I believe if you are not getting the P85 (Mycroft is correct the active air is standard with the P85), it is not completely necessary. It really depends on your driving habits/preferences. When the Model S is traveling at speeds of 55 mph or greater for 10 seconds, the Model S drops from the "normal" suspension to "low." Again, if you value the performance aspect, go with the active air suspension. Then again, if you geniunely value performance, you will be ordering the Performance 85. It sounds like you are going with the 60kWh, but I'd recommend the 85kWh; it will make a difference in the winters and for road trips. I'd venture to guess there is a TMC member who lives in Long Island that can provide better insight as to Long Island/New York-Specific use.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel like I could started this thread! I am currently driving a base Porsche Panamera 2011. I have two kids, and this was my compromise to have a great driving experience daily, but still have the ability to drive my kids when the wife is out with the SUV. I can't justify having a third "toy" car. S I had my test drive yesterday. I love many things about the model s, but have my few reservations. I like the styling, the acceleration, the touchscreen tech, the minimalist interior, the plug in good for environment no gasoline use, cool/unique factor, panoramic roof. I don't like the handling and interior finish quality and seat comfort and lack of ventilated seats compared to my Panamera. So my dilemma is I have to part with a car I love at this moment. I wish I could've bought the tesla back before the Panamera, and there would've been no question.

So I decided to go drive again tomorrow. This is mainly because I wasn't allowed to drive for a few miles on Highway, which I was told was because of some incident on highway test drive in past. This is my main commute. I want to see how it feels at 80mph changing lanes and road noise versus my Panamera and get a feel for the seat comfort again.

After that, I may take the plunge tomorrow. I just will have a hard time deciding between the matte obeche wood versus glossy to go with tan leather and blue exterior...
Two Things:
1) Next week's super Charging Announcement will (most likely) introduce Super Chargers in Florida.
2) Trying to be objective and if you have not seen it yet: Consumer Reports all but said buy a Model S over a Panamera (14 minute mark). Talking Cars with Consumer Reports: #5 Tesla Model S - YouTube

FREE LONG DISTANCE
How about taking a road trip this spring? One of the most frequently asked questions we hear is, “When are we getting a Supercharger in our area?” We’re glad you’re asking. We will be adding Supercharger coverage in many areas over the next three to four months, installing our first Superchargers in the Pacific Northwest, Texas, Illinois, and Florida with additional coverage in the Northeast and California. We’re also expanding existing locations like Harris Ranch, where we’re adding five more Superchargers in the next month. Supercharging is the perfect way to visit out of town friends and family, and remember, it’s always free!

Inside Tesla 03.21.13 | Blog | Tesla Motors

The 911 and Cayenne are SO 20th Century... (Yeah, I know the Cayenne didn't debut until 2002 - no matter.)

The only reason I'd hesitate to dump the 911 would be if it had a stick.

It is and I didn't :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats! So what configuration did you decide on?

Did the 60 with Tech, Air Suspension, Panameric Roof, Rear Jump Seats in Grey with Black.
Hoping the leap into the unknown is as awesome as everyone here thinks it is. Hoping we're all patting each other on the back in 3-5 years...
Time will tell, but you have to live in the moment!