Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! What do I do with a flat tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And they're the "old" lighter style? About to amazon a 12v pump, lol
I have this one for the last 4 years in my frunk:

I use it to pump air to the tires to reach the correct PSI every few months so I don't have to be guilty taking the EVs to gas stations to use their free pump.

Welp, not used to a big city, discount tire is a 5 hour wait today so a big nope on that. Les Schwab won’t work on tires with the acoustic foam… so I’ll wait for Tesla mobile service on Monday, then at least I don’t have to go return the wheel 🙃

Welp, not used to a big city, discount tire is a 5 hour wait today so a big nope on that. Les Schwab won’t work on tires with the acoustic foam… so I’ll wait for Tesla mobile service on Monday, then at least I don’t have to go return the wheel 🙃
Interesting. My local Les Schwab works on Tesla tires all the time. They even take a picture on their phone and show me of how they cut away the foam and patched the tire.

Agreed 100%. Plug kit with an inflator will get you back on the road in less than 10 mins. Even if it is not a perfect job, you will still get to your destination just fine and get the proper repair.

I take it that repair shops are fine repairing tires that have been plugged ? I ask because the videos that show plug kit repair have you make a pretty big hole for the plug

Some Les Schwabs do. Unfortunately they are closed on Sundays. Pump and tire patch kit are a necessity if you don’t want this hassle you are going through. Also I’ve had two nails/screws in 5.5 years. I don’t think that’s anymore than what my old gas cars picked up.

I have AAA and when I've gotten flats on road trips in the past, I just used their free towing to a tire shop. What I've been wondering, and this looks like an appropriate thread in which to ask, is what's the deal with towing an EV? Does it need a flatbed because of regen/transmission? Thought I saw that somewhere.

And what's the deal with Tesla roadside? Is this a free service?

(LR MY due in August)

I take it that repair shops are fine repairing tires that have been plugged ? I ask because the videos that show plug kit repair have you make a pretty big hole for the plug
Depends on where it is and if they can overlay a patch.

I also strongly endorse a plug kit (as well as 12 volt inflator). It will save you a lot of trouble in a large percentage of situations.

Depends on where it is and if they can overlay a patch.

I also strongly endorse a plug kit (as well as 12 volt inflator). It will save you a lot of trouble in a large percentage of situations.
I have a question about the plug kit. If I get a nail in the front tire, then I could obviously turn the wheel all the way in one direction and roll the car until I can easily work on the puncture. But for the rear tire, besides removing the tire completely, am I basically working off my back on the ground?

Thanks!

I have a question about the plug kit. If I get a nail in the front tire, then I could obviously turn the wheel all the way in one direction and roll the car until I can easily work on the puncture. But for the rear tire, besides removing the tire completely, am I basically working off my back on the ground?

Thanks!
You should be able to approach it pretty well from behind. Unless you have aftermarket mud flaps in the way.

Some tire hops will not attempt to plug or patch a tire where there has been a previous attempt to repair the damaged area. Too much liability for the repair shop if the tire fails. The best thing you can do when you have a puncture, if the vehicle is able to be driven, is to pump up the tire using a 12V tire inflator and drive to the nearest place where the tire can be properly repaired. Leave the screw (it is almost always a screw or a bolt these days, in the tire. Let the tire shop determine whether the puncture is able to be repaired. Next would be to use the tire sealant (i.e. Slime) but this makes a large mess for the tire shop so they may charge you extra for shop supplies just to clean out the sealant from inside the tire.

Reactions: DrGriz and Need
Some tire hops will not attempt to plug or patch a tire where there has been a previous attempt to repair the damaged area. Too much liability for the repair shop if the tire fails. The best thing you can do when you have a puncture, if the vehicle is able to be driven, is to pump up the tire using a 12V tire inflator and drive to the nearest place where the tire can be properly repaired. Leave the screw (it is almost always a screw or a bolt these days, in the tire. Let the tire shop determine whether the puncture is able to be repaired. Next would be to use the tire sealant (i.e. Slime) but this makes a large mess for the tire shop so they may charge you extra for shop supplies just to clean out the sealant from inside the tire.
Have done it this way many times. Plugging is for when you can't, or don't have the time to deal with or wait for a tire shop close by. That said, I have driven for years on plugged tires and never had a fail.