Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat Tire Q's - What's the latest?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Def want to see how much room rhe Modern Spare takes in both rhe MY and M3
Photos anyone?
The diameter of modern spare is the same as your regular tire, but it is not as wide. Teslas can’t use donut tires.
So, the spare takes space. I usually don’t have anyone in the back seats, so I just put the tire straight in the footwell and tie it with seatbelt. If I carry it in the trunk then it has to be tied down as well.

This is a screen capture of the scissor jack that comes with the complete Modern Spare kit. It says rated for 4000 lbs. Has anyone tried this jack?
Screenshot_20230811_120938_Chrome.jpg

Yes, carrying a spare is a good idea, but on a long trip with people and luggage, does not leave much room. Also to change the spare, you will need a jack, jack pads, a 21mm socket and a torque wrench to get to the 129 ft-lbs for the nuts. I carry a Ryobi compressor for small leaks which should get me to a repair shop, for blowouts, call Tesla roadside.
I have AAA (as well as Tesla RA) and having a working spare gives their technician another option, namely to put my spare on if they cannot fix the bad tire on the spot. They'll have the proper jacks, pads, wrenches, most likely even if I, for some reason, do not or don't want to mess with the actual tire change. It could avoid a tow to a strange town and then a wait for a properly-sized replacement tire which could easily be a day or two in a place like Houlton, ME.

I do have an air compressor too.

Reactions: Andy7
This series of posts is why I carry a Modern Spare in my 3 and my Y. They are expensive, but I do not want to be stuck on a highway or country road waiting for Tesla (although the one time I called them they came within 45 minutes) and then have to return a loaner tire to a center 100 miles from my home.

And I see I have to revise my signature block to add the Y and take away the Subaru!
What about a Jack and accesories. I haven’t seen them on my Y.

I always keep a plug kit and tools to remove a foreign object from the tread in the car along with a tire pump. It would be a pain in the butt depending on where in the tread the foreign object was, but acceptable in an emergency. If I had a sidewall blowout, or cracked rim from road debris, or a giant pothole I have AAA.

Keith

Reactions: zoomer0056
I modified my trunk area by cutting some of the carpet board in the trunk on my 2023 MY. My StanceMagic spare tire fits in this area. The tire raises the trunk floor by about 3/8" which is not noticed with a trunk protector pad. There is a thread on doing this on this site. Having a spare with me all the time is a comfort. Until a year or so ago I had not experienced a blowout in 30 some years and then had 2 within 30 days.

I modified my trunk area by cutting some of the carpet board in the trunk on my 2023 MY. My StanceMagic spare tire fits in this area. The tire raises the trunk floor by about 3/8" which is not noticed with a trunk protector pad. There is a thread on doing this on this site. Having a spare with me all the time is a comfort. Until a year or so ago I had not experienced a blowout in 30 some years and then had 2 within 30 days.
Can you shoot a few photos and rhe link?

I really need to get the electric jack out of the case and make sure everything works.
I will only put the spare tire in the trunk when going farther than 50 miles from home.
Of course I finally read this review after buying the jack. :rolleyes:
Bought the 3 ton electric jack. Seemed a good idea. On arrival, it looked to be of decent quality. But it broke on first use -- without even lifting the car, a Tesla Model Y. As soon as the jack engaged with the car, the rear motor housing of the jack broke open and the jack stopped lifting. Fortunately, it hadn't “lifted” the car, so I was able to get it out from under. My punishment for being lazy. Next time, a traditional scissor jack.

They just use probability as a justification, but really it is done to save money. Also, probability and severity are not related, a rare event can be a serious event.
Not including a spare is not just about saving the cost of the spare. They can advertise more cc's of trunk space and slightly higher mpg/range (weight savings), etc. All a game of numbers to attract customers...which in the end is still about the money, of course.
I've experienced a nail in both rear tires. The first one on the rear drivers side the app notified me that I had a flat tire while parked in my garage in New Jersey this past April. I opened a service request and a Tesla Roving Tire Van was in my driveway 40 minutes later. They replaced and balanced my tire for $430.00
A few weeks later after driving to Florida I had another nail in the passenger rear tire. Florida does not have roving Tesla tire vans like they do in NJ so I had to drive to their Delray Beach service center.
I carry this tire inflator so I just added a few lbs of air for the drive to the SC

https://www.amazon.com/Kensun-Performance-Portable-Compressor-Inflator/dp/B01J8Y91GC/ref=sxin_17_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?content-id=amzn1.sym.1c86ab1a-a73c-4131-85f1-15bd92ae152d:amzn1.sym.1c86ab1a-a73c-4131-85f1-15bd92ae152d&crid=39GBXSOZRLHOK&cv_ct_cx=kensun+portable+air+compressor&keywords=kensun+portable+air+compressor&pd_rd_i=B01J8Y91GC&pd_rd_r=1af3fa1c-cb6f-4ba7-8feb-48a35e54ee5e&pd_rd_w=yR9K4&pd_rd_wg=9ZQnp&pf_rd_p=1c86ab1a-a73c-4131-85f1-15bd92ae152d&pf_rd_r=69VCWGV1CF8X4J2S1VZK&qid=1691590209&sbo=RZvfv//HxDF+O5021pAnSA==&sprefix=kensun,aps,113&sr=1-3-364cf978-ce2a-480a-9bb0-bdb96faa0f61-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9zZWFyY2hfdGhlbWF0aWM&psc=1

Another new tire for $460 a little more than the charge in NJ

No way am I going to drive on I95 or anywhere else on a long road trip with a patched or plugged tire.
So every time a nail punctures your tire, you get a brand new tire? Dude, you're a dream customer. LOL. Wish I was near you, so I could take those tires off you and I wouldn't even charge a disposal fee like they do.

Not including a spare is not just about saving the cost of the spare.
Agree. And in “cost of the spare” is the tire and wheel, jack, lug nut wrench, jack pad, maybe a chock, all mounting hardware, extra time welding, maybe another robot to do these welds, just-in-time inventory control of each of these items, an inflation stop on the assembly line, extra QC steps…the list goes on. For a company as focused on manufacturing costs as Tesla is, it is no surprise to me that they chose to include no spare. I just wish they’d engineering a space for an owner-acquired spare as desired that safely and securely stored one.

Interesting Bryan Hauer travels the entire USA without a spare, he confirmed to me
Reference link to his channel

Maybe the spare, although good to have statistically not necessary

I've heard horror stories on the Bolt forum (Bolt does not have a spare tire) where someone has a non-repairable flat, has to get a tow truck, and then find a hotel somewhere while he waits for the tire to be delivered and installed.

I look at the worst case scenario; Saturday night, busy freeway, most places closed and have to wait possible hours for a tow truck.

Reactions: zoomer0056