Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hepa Filter Biodefense Model Upgrade and Option Code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My SC just told me my 2016 Model S w/refresh 9/16 build date does not have the capacity to be able to receive the Hepa Filter but they said they can add the firmware upgrade aka bio button. Hmmm... interesting. I thought all Model S have the capacity for the hepa filter if they were offered that same year model period. So i can have the button but can't add the hepa filter???

My SC just told me my 2016 Model S w/refresh 9/16 build date does not have the capacity to be able to receive the Hepa Filter but they said they can add the firmware upgrade aka bio button. Hmmm... interesting. I thought all Model S have the capacity for the hepa filter if they were offered that same year model period. So i can have the button but can't add the hepa filter???

I would jump on that offer. You can (at least for 2017) make your own HEPA filter - I did it and it's not that difficult. Search the forum here. But most folks back then were saying the SC would *NOT* add the BIO BUTTON, we we are stuck setting the controls manually. I would love to have the button.

What SC is this?

Update. So i was able to buy a Hepa Filter and installed it. I dont have the bio button yet but I will request it. Here is a video I did of the oem hepa filter install on a non hepa bio weapon car. Its basically the same filter container one with a hepa filter and one without. The bio button is a setting on the ac/air system.

Here is my video:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Update. So i was able to buy a Hepa Filter and installed it. I dont have the bio button yet but I will request it. Here is a video I did of the oem hepa filter install on a non hepa bio weapon car. Its basically the same filter container one with a hepa filter and one without. The bio button is a setting on the ac/air system.

Here is my video:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for the video, I've been contemplating replacing mine myself in the near future. Can I ask how much the filter cost from Tesla?

I just clicked on the updated Tesla shop link from my Tesla account. You can now have the HEPA filter and biodefense software upgrade for 500 bucks through the SC.

I will have to watch A DIY video to determine if it’s worth saving a couple hundred bucks to do myself and deal with the hassle of asking service center to upgrade biodefence button, if they will even do it anymore.

I just clicked on the updated Tesla shop link from my Tesla account. You can now have the HEPA filter and biodefense software upgrade for 500 bucks through the SC.

I will have to watch A DIY video to determine if it’s worth saving a couple hundred bucks to do myself and deal with the hassle of asking service center to upgrade biodefence button, if they will even do it anymore.

You can now order it on the Tesla website. Its only a $500 and they will install the filter and add the Bio Defense button to your software. Here is the link: Model S HEPA Air Filtration Upgrade

I would suggest to purchase the Hepa Filter at Tesla and install it. Then just call service and ask for a Tesla Ranger to stop by your car and do the firmware update. This will probably cost you less if not free.

Reactions: Flyguy