Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here, There, and EVerywhere... Posting our trip SoCal to East Coast and back...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today is a driving day through I-70 from West Virginia to as far West as we can go.

We passed by a truck half-full of Minis which lead me to thinking of Electrified Minis...

17933447295_4ec2bf3ff9_c.jpgIMG_8625 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

like the Superleggera, BMW please make it!

14187431537273575.jpg

Had a random Model S sighting.

17930365502_98b1eb5c64_c.jpgIMG_8631 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

And we stopped off for sushi in Ohio...

17310825574_fcf851de72_c.jpgIMG_20150520_175019 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

Yup... We're living on the edge.

Day 19 out now.

Last edited:
Interesting that you chose the Holiday Inn Express over the Hampton Inn at Effingham- While both are near the superchargers, I noticed you have been staying in Hilton Properties much of the time on your trip. Was there something about the Hampton that you didn't like? just curious. I stayed at the Hampton in Effingham the night of the 19th. I guess I was just a little in front of you on my way back to Tucson. I've enjoyed your trip report. Thanks for sharing.

Interesting that you chose the Holiday Inn Express over the Hampton Inn at Effingham- While both are near the superchargers, I noticed you have been staying in Hilton Properties much of the time on your trip. Was there something about the Hampton that you didn't like? just curious. I stayed at the Hampton in Effingham the night of the 19th. I guess I was just a little in front of you on my way back to Tucson. I've enjoyed your trip report. Thanks for sharing.

They were sold out for the evening. "No room at the Inn" as the saying goes. We are HHonors Diamond Members, so tend to stay @ Hilton properties, though I was hoping to expand our Hyatt stays on this trip, that didn't happen, just not enough properties where we wanted to stop.

And I'm glad that you're enjoying reading the posts. It's been a fun trip (as well as fun to write on the experience.)

I'm confused, you say you SC'd to near full before retiring for the night. I thought that was bad for the battery? Or did I misunderstand your post?

i live in Swansea IL about 37 miles from the St Charles SC (work at Scott AFB) and I would have taken some time to drive over and meet you folks on your way through.

in anyway I'm enjoying your travelogue.

The Mini's used in the movie Italian Job was converted to electric, so they can run them in the subway scene of the film.

Thanks Steph280. The MiniE program ran for 2.5 years in all electric with AC Propulsion motors. They were definitely all electric and great little cars p, from what I understand from the Mini E Pioneers.

I'm confused, you say you SC'd to near full before retiring for the night. I thought that was bad for the battery? Or did I misunderstand your post?

i live in Swansea IL about 37 miles from the St Charles SC (work at Scott AFB) and I would have taken some time to drive over and meet you folks on your way through.

in anyway I'm enjoying your travelogue.

@TomServo,

It is not recommended to charge to full all the time, but I've been charging to 90% on a daily basis for most the time I've had the car and to max for a bit during the trip. The range stayed at 255 for range charge from the start of the trip throughout. I backed off range charges when the car complained for a charge or two. Back home, I'm closer to the 80-90% charges again.

Cool to know that you would've hung out with us. Maybe next trip. :)

@TomServo,

It is not recommended to charge to full all the time, but I've been charging to 90% on a daily basis for most the time I've had the car and to max for a bit during the trip. The range stayed at 255 for range charge from the start of the trip throughout. I backed off range charges when the car complained for a charge or two. Back home, I'm closer to the 80-90% charges again.
The car complained? You must be referring to the reminder that you have the charge slider set at 100%. I think the warning comes up if it's left there for three days or so. It's helpful for people who forget to set the charge limit back down after a trip, but don't worry about it if you're on a trip and need the 100% charge. If you're staying at a hotel with a supercharger though it's better to just charge to 90% that evening, move the car to a regular space, then top off your supercharging to 100% in the morning just before you leave so it doesn't sit at 100% overnight.

The car complained? You must be referring to the reminder that you have the charge slider set at 100%. I think the warning comes up if it's left there for three days or so. It's helpful for people who forget to set the charge limit back down after a trip, but don't worry about it if you're on a trip and need the 100% charge. If you're staying at a hotel with a supercharger though it's better to just charge to 90% that evening, move the car to a regular space, then top off your supercharging to 100% in the morning just before you leave so it doesn't sit at 100% overnight.

Thanks @TexasEV. What we actually started to do for those locations where the supercharger is located at the hotel is to just check in to the hotel when we get there (because we're often in late). When we go down for breakfast and before we get ready, we move the car and SC to full. I put my Plug in America EV Card with my contact information on the dash and go back to get ready.

By the time we're done getting ready, the car is pretty close to full and we just roll off.

I find it even more interesting that the big takeaway from Day 19 that you want to talk about is the Hotel choice rather than the Supercharger at the gas station!! :)

We were quick to have attributed the ability to do this journey to Tesla Motors.

As we make the journey West on I-70, we were reminded of the other thing that provided us with the ability to travel so easily from state to state, and that's the US Interstate Highway system, or the Eisenhower Interstate System.

17818441578_72691f2fbc_c.jpgIMG_20150522_171157 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

We were surprised to find that the President that championed such an important part of our journey has his Presidential Library and Museum off the route that we're taking West. In Abilene, Kansas.

So, we stopped.

It seems that "Ike" Eisenhower was also a fellow #EV driver!

18004977265_4ff3751ed4_c.jpgIMG_8851 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

Furthermore, we were faced with the elevation changes and inclement weather on our ascent into Denver later in the day and took the time to compare our consumption on this day.

On today's Day 21 of our journey.

There are a lot more pictures than words on Day 22 of our trip. When the view is the majestic Rockies and you go through snow showers in late May, it's hard to put that in words.

17846451739_f5a47d2c32_c.jpgIMG_20150523_120532 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

Then you're rewarded with sun and a beautiful sunset at the Arches National Park in Utah.

It's a sight to behold.

18045688541_565f4f1ab8_c.jpgIMG_9128 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

17857025208_12d28dfa8e_c.jpgIMG_20150523_195033 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

17857437928_0a8ae5d259_c.jpgIMG_20150523_201546 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

So, enjoy the Westward drive from Colorado to Utah. The weather was a little scary with snow showers and elevation. With some car "hiking" thrown in at the end of the day.

Today's Day 23 drive is through the rest of Utah to Nevada then...

With Utah's 80 MPH speed limit on the freeways, they might be a good state to visit for North American Model S owners who like to drive fast. (until they build a landbridge to Europe and folks can drive to the Autobahn from here.)

18108562742_b7ff2b80c6_c.jpgIMG_9196 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

And how far did I drive that I saw a LIGHTHOUSE on this drive.

17924345360_03bddb9064_c.jpgIMG_9217 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

And a pyramid?

17514398464_b7cdf814cf_c.jpgIMG_0715 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

Enjoy.

Welcome Home + 30 Dennis! Glad you had such a great adventure and took the time to share it with us. I especially loved the Pacific photo at the end. A great way to wrap it up. Must have been kismet to sleep in your own bed again though after 23 days!

Welcome Home + 30 Dennis! Glad you had such a great adventure and took the time to share it with us. I especially loved the Pacific photo at the end. A great way to wrap it up. Must have been kismet to sleep in your own bed again though after 23 days!

Thanks @Cyclone. Glad that you enjoyed the trip summaries. Still deciding whether to write about our next few "short" trips to the Bay Area. One of which will be to attend TMC Connect 2015.