Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey Tesla, there is a need for that NEMA 14-30 adapter still!

As a Model S/3/X owner, how would I use a NEMA 14-30 adapter (now discontinued)?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you aren't already up to speed: Trying to find a Tesla NEMA 14-30 adapter

The short story is that there is still a need for the NEMA 14-30 adapter that Tesla has discontinued. This need is increasing both as a percentage of current ownership that is realizing the 14-30 is useful, and as a total number of new owners where a 14-30 is their fastest/only option.

The longer story is owners and reservation holders are finding themselves in a couple of different situations where there is a legitimate need for the NEMA 14-30 adapter.
1. Their existing wiring in the home or the break box doesn't currently allow for a 14-50 connection to be run at all, or the cost to do so just isn't economical.
2. Those that have gas dryers and therefore the 14-30 is not currently in use, extending that outlet to where the car is parked is a reasonable solution for them as an alternative to a brand new run back to the breaker-box.
3. Owners and future owners find themselves traveling to locations that only have 14-30 connections (I'm looking at you in-laws). Spending the night somewhere, even with a 5-20 adapter just doesn't get the necessary range to continue on a journey or return home. 17mph from a 14-30 is far more useful/acceptable even if not ideal.

So the motivation behind this poll is some real world experience. I came across a couple forum members that posted about having trouble finding a NEMA 14-30. For whatever reason, their local service centers did not have any in stock and were either unwilling or unable to transfer inventory from another service center to their own. So I called my local service center, and sure enough they had a couple. I purchased them, boxed them up and shipped them out to the owners and charged them only the cost to do so. Well, that was 18 adapters ago, within just a 3 week period. Word got out that I was willing to do the legwork to find them and I've been helping where I can. Currently, I have 9 more people waiting to purchase adapters if I can locate them. But unfortunately, it appears as though the well may have run dry. The remaining stock at service centers is being used for warranty replacements for existing owners that may have a 14-30 adapter that goes bad in the future. As a 14-30 owner/user, I support that mentality.

All that to say this, Tesla is currently unaware of this need and so hopefully, an online poll will act as a vehicle to communicate this message to them. They already have the specs and the production figured out. While I'm sure it's not just as easy as flipping a switch, I do expect the hard work is already done. So please comment, please vote. You will be helping currently owners who need this adapter, you will be helping future Model 3 owners that will need this adapter, and you will be helping yourselves if you ever find yourself needing this adapter. The NEMA 14-30 is the 2nd most useful adapter I have at the moment so I'm not just an un-paid actor, I'm also a client.

I have to say that I can only think the need will increase. The only case where I would want to see someone use a 14-30 as their primary charging is when they had an outlet left over from an electric dryer and switched to gas. I wouldn't want to see them plugging and unplugging a 14-30 all the time.

However, using a 14-30 when traveling and visiting relatives, family, friends is highly desirable and needed. I can't expect someone to spend hundreds of dollars so I can "fill up" my car while I am visiting them. But if I can just unplug their dryer for one night, when they aren't using it anyway, things would be golden.

The appropriate Tesla adapter on the mobile EVSE will cause the pilot signal to adjust the car down to 24A.

Are you sure about this? I did not think there was any circuitry in the "dumb" adapters for communicating with the car. And if you use any of the 14-50 to 'whatever' adapters, you'll have the 14-50 on the mobile connector and the car will think that 50 amp (40 nominal) is appropriate instead of 30amp.

Are you sure about this? I did not think there was any circuitry in the "dumb" adapters for communicating with the car. And if you use any of the 14-50 to 'whatever' adapters, you'll have the 14-50 on the mobile connector and the car will think that 50 amp (40 nominal) is appropriate instead of 30amp.
This thread is about Tesla plug adapters for the Tesla mobile EVSE. They used to make both a NEMA 10-30 and 14-30 adapter and people want them to start making them again.

Yep. Using a proper Tesla branded adapter will tell the car how much current to draw. If you use any other adapter, you MUST do that yourself, or risk a tripped breaker, blown fuse, or even a fire.

New house came with 14-30 plug. My service center found one for me (after I read on TMC that if you ask nicely they can sometimes find them). Works fine for us. Went from 14-50 at old house to 14-30.

Definitely should keep making more variety of Tesla UMC adapters as Model 3 comes on line. I'm sure the needs will vary considerably with a much larger uptake of customers.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
The Roadster UMC adapter choices are still all there, the Model S used to have as many choices as the Roadster ones, My plan was to have various adapters on my "gift registry" for family members who want to get me something for birthdays and Christmas, but tesla has since discontinued quite a bit of these adapters. I was able to get the 6-50 before that was discontinued.

Made my own by using a 14-50 plug without the neutral pin.
But I agree Tesla should officially offer plugs for *anything* you can plug into.
edit - Really you could just cut the pin off your 14-50 adapter to do so as well.

I Agree that this is a good modification.
Just remember to label the adapter and always set the Charging to 24A on the touch screen.
Let's hope that Tesla takes note and starts producing the NEMA 10-30 and 14-30 adapters again!

Tesla 14-30 adapter.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Made my own by using a 14-50 plug without the neutral pin. But I agree Tesla should officially offer plugs for *anything* you can plug into.

edit - Really you could just cut the pin off your 14-50 adapter to do so as well.
This workaround is not safe as Tesla goes mainstream. It's hard enough for some early adopters to remember to turn the amps down manually (or check that the setting hadn't reverted). Mainstream buyers who don't know a volt from an amp (and don't care to know) shouldn't have to take this step because some will forget and cause problems. Tesla will be blamed, and with good reason as they didn't provide the necessary native adapter.

This workaround is not safe as Tesla goes mainstream. It's hard enough for some early adopters to remember to turn the amps down manually (or check that the setting hadn't reverted). Mainstream buyers who don't know a volt from an amp (and don't care to know) shouldn't have to take this step because some will forget and cause problems. Tesla will be blamed, and with good reason as they didn't provide the necessary native adapter.
I've tripped my breaker with loaners by forgetting they aren't already set.