Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey Tesla, where's my $1000 worth of white paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Truth must be told. I'm not a service person, and I saw it, so it is unacceptable! You're saying it is ok to cheap out on my paint job because "I won't see it"? And this is what it looks like under the hood, without a big piece of plastic to hide it.

Truth has been told! Tesla does not paint the hidden parts of the Model 3 with the finish paint color, only the rust-protective primer. Awesome. Who cares?

I love my M3P unpainted hidden parts and all. Sad that this absurdity bothers you so much. Sell the car and move on to some other object of angst for no reason.

I once had the complete interior out of my 1971 Plymouth Valiant, and guess what? It was all painted inside the car. And all up in the trunk. And all under the hood. And behind the door panels. And even most of the underside of the car. Is Tesla saying they can't paint a new car better than a 48 year old Plymouth? They are that greedy? I wonder what I will see if I take the door panels off, or pull up the carpet?

I knew we couldn't go a whole thread without tim waxing poetic about his damn 1971 Plymouth Valiant. :D Just return your tesla and get a 1971 Plymouth Valiant. :)

From the cars i’ve had, it has been standard to not fully paint areas not visible to the customer.

I think the last car I owned that was fully panted was a 1988 Honda. In 1989, honda started skipping paint on areas not visible.

You can go onto COPART and look at all the crashed cars that are missing panels. It is NOT uncommon to have unseen parts of the car just primered.

Not going to lie, it would be weird if you were seriously upset about this.

Reactions: compu85 and Elixir
The paint job is probably not a problem, but it looks cheap for sure... No getting around that. Charging a premium for a Tesla paint job is kind of funny.

While I am not in love with pulling the plastic out of the frunk and seeing the primer, I wish they at least painted the door jambs and hinges all the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: voip-ninja
I once had the complete interior out of my 1971 Plymouth Valiant, and guess what? It was all painted inside the car. And all up in the trunk. And all under the hood. And behind the door panels. And even most of the underside of the car. Is Tesla saying they can't paint a new car better than a 48 year old Plymouth? They are that greedy? I wonder what I will see if I take the door panels off, or pull up the carpet?
Maybe this is why Plymouth is no longer around now, they wasted money on things that didn't matter?? lol

Pretty sure the OP is being facetious here guys.

Reactions: RyanT and Shygar
I went backstage on a tour once at Disney World and I was pissed the didn’t decorate the backstage area the same as the rest of the park.

I was horrified, I demanded a refund, because how dare they not decorate a part of the park I was never meant to see. The mouse told me to pound sand.

Also I’m being sarcastic
You almost got badly beaten by Micky Mouse then become part of River of America, do you know that?

Okay ....all but one of us agree there is no need to paint the areas that are not seen.

But what about the door jamb .... that is seen every time you get in and out of the car?

Hey .... it just occurred to me; if Tesla offered a gloss metallic color that is the same as the primer color .... no one would know.

Last edited:
Reactions: super20g
Truth must be told. I'm not a service person, and I saw it, so it is unacceptable! You're saying it is ok to cheap out on my paint job because "I won't see it"? And this is what it looks like under the hood, without a big piece of plastic to hide it.

Tesla shouldn't be ripping me off on the paint job. I paid ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS for pearl white paint, and I expect ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS of paint on the car! Everyone who paid $1500, $2000, or $2500 for their paint should be even more upset than me about it.

I have a 1974 Cadillac and nothing is painted body color under the hood. Under all the interior trim is just primer or a light over spray of body color.

As automakers do their best to trim costs in an era of expensive, mandated safety equipment and crashworthinsss standards, things like painting the inside of a part of the car nobody sees have been scrapped.

My Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf, and Kia Soul EV were all the same as my Tesla in this regard. All of them, ironically (given all the bitching here about paint defects), came with visible paint flaws from the factory.

The Chevy had a black roof that someone taped off incorrectly, the Kia had a paint run on a hood edge, and the Nissan had eyebrow-raising orange peel.

You paid extra money for white because it needs to take multiple trips through the paint booth to accomplish the pearlescent effect (same with red) not because it gets you an extra bucket from Lowe’s.

You have a point there man. That's why when I used to make bike frames I painted the insides of the frame tubes before I brazed them together. I'm just a quality guy.

Oh, yeah, I used to paint house interiors also. I made it a special point to get in there for a day or two before the sheetrockers arrived so I could paint the studs and the backsides of the sheetrock. You never know when someone might do a remodel.

Well good then, you understand my point of view. And these things are not equal in what is considered an acceptable level (by me) of thoroughness in completing the paint work.