Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey Uber and Lyft drivers - NO SUPERCHARGING!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
A new policy, but cars purchased before Dec 15, 2017 are grandfathered.
Supercharger Fair Use

To help ensure that Superchargers are available for their intended use, we ask that you not charge your vehicle using a Supercharger if your vehicle is being used:

• as a taxi;
  • for ridesourcing or ridesharing (through Uber, Lyft or similar services);
  • to commercially deliver or transport goods;
  • for government purposes; or
  • for any other commercial venture.
If you charge your vehicle in a manner that does not comply with this Supercharger Fair Use Policy, we may ask you to modify this behavior. We may also take additional action to protect the availability of Superchargers for their intended purpose, such as limiting or blocking your vehicle’s ability to use Supercharger stations.

This Policy applies to all Superchargers worldwide and all Tesla vehicles purchased, either new or used, whether from Tesla or a third party, after December 15, 2017. Tesla may choose to exclude certain Supercharger stations or occasional trips from the scope of this Policy, such as to accommodate specific local circumstances.

• Informative
Reactions: spottyq and MarcoRP
I'm surprised all vehicles purchase before December 15th are being grandfathered in. It's not necessarily fair to new owners to have different policies for different groups.

I'm certainly not a fan of commercial cars using the chargers, but before this policy came out they were allowed to. So they bought the car based on the old policy, and it seems reasonable that the policy that was active at the time they bought is still active for them.

You don't want commercial vehicles choking the SCs but if you want to increase adoption of EVs for commercial purposes then don't you need fast charging of some sort? Even if an Uber/Lyft driver went home to top up a HPWC at 80A is way slower than a SC.

Reactions: doubeld
You don't want commercial vehicles choking the SCs but if you want to increase adoption of EVs for commercial purposes then don't you need fast charging of some sort? Even if an Uber/Lyft driver went home to top up a HPWC at 80A is way slower than a SC.

Uber drivers need sleep too.

Miles per taxi per day really isn't _that_ high, and common taxi operation involves urban and suburban driving.

Reactions: David99
Good point but I have to think that their energy usage is not going to be optimal. I bet they are way above 200Wh/km, especially in the winter. I wonder who is abusing this today that is causing them to change the policy? Or is it pre-emptive ahead of lots of Model 3s hitting the road.

Good point but I have to think that their energy usage is not going to be optimal. I bet they are way above 200Wh/km, especially in the winter. I wonder who is abusing this today that is causing them to change the policy? Or is it pre-emptive ahead of lots of Model 3s hitting the road.

A preemptive strike. The catch-all on the policy is to contact Tesla to discuss solutions.

Maybe we should let them use the SuCs, but make em pay! It's like getting free gas and then one day you're no longer allowed to put gas in your car. ?

I wonder who is abusing this today that is causing them to change the policy? Or is it pre-emptive ahead of lots of Model 3s hitting the road.
It's because of Tesloop and Taxi companies like the one at Amsterdam airport who have a fleet of Model S who are hogging the chargers a fair bit.

Tesla screwed this one up. They should have stopped free SCing on new purchases a year ago when it was starting to happen. They absolutely should grandfather this in as it was part of their PR campaign.
As I've said elsewhere, all they need to do is put a fair/competitive price on the $/kWh or $/min charging rate, plus a prohibitive idle fee, and this problem goes away. The money funds new supercharger stations, and the idle fees prevent the current artificial fullness of the SuperChargers.

This has nothing to do with Model 3 owners being cheap (as I've read elsewhere) and the massive volume of them coming. The problem surfaced before a single piece of Model 3 production line equipment was installed.

Hard to imagine how Tesla will know you're an Uber driver anyway, or how much of your driving is Uber.
I tried Uber driving when it first came to Australia, just for the experience. I would do an hour or two ever few days, usually when I was bored. It felt amazing that I could just switch on the app, have a little drive and chat, make $30, then eat a $30 lunch.
This was long before I got my Model S, but if I started Ubering again I don't see how Tesla would have the foggiest idea. My current job already involves working at multiple sites around Sydney, so has a fair bit of random driving.

• Love
Reactions: MarcoRP
Elon said that Supercharging is for trips only. If you use the Supercharger every day of course they'll know you're up to something. Maybe they should have a voucher system for your local Superchargers.

Elon said that Supercharging is for trips only. If you use the Supercharger every day of course they'll know you're up to something. Maybe they should have a voucher system for your local Superchargers.
That's what he said a couple years ago. Then more recently they have stated that they are building superchargers for urban dwellers. So it's not really the policy any more.

I think they would only raise the issue if you had a usage pattern consistent with taxi service, i.e. charging a LOT at the same site.

Really free is bad policy. Even a small charge dissuades a lot of poor behavior, and helps optimize use of a limited resource. But I’m not complaining about my free access!!!

• Helpful
Reactions: Gen3 and SW2Fiddler
Then again, Christian in Quebec City got around in his Taxi using his own HPWC for 3 years before a SC was opened in Levis so you have to imagine Supercharging for taxi drivers is not always necessary. Tesloop is a whole other beast with long-distance taxying.

As far as I'm concerned, while I do use my car to visit my customers (and I don't believe this policy is directed at businessmen like me) I don't want to have to end up at a Supercharger as this means I'm losing time during business hours. So I will manage it the best I can to complete my driving days on a single charge from my HPWC.

Mind you, I knew full well when buying that wouldn't always be possible and figured if I could waste less time at superchargers in a year than what it would take to stop by, and fill a tanks of gas in that same year it would still be worthwhile. So far it seems to be the case.

But I do need to stop every now and then to top off. If I've needed to add what, 100kw of charge in 18,000km driven so far does that make me a sinner? Do I need to invoke the grandfather clause to appease folks?

They can always pay to charge at a CHAdeMO station.

Also, I don't see where Tesla wanted to increase adoption of EVs for commercial purposes (other than for semis, which is a different subject). In this case, the commercial cars are causing an issue for the general public, which is why this policy has to exist.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC