Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High CPO prices?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went through a CPO adviser who found the car in their inventory before it hit the website. I was about to pull the trigger on a fairly loaded 2013 P85 with AP1 for $65k but when he told me about my P85D, I figured it would be worth the extra $7k even though it was over my mental limit for budget.

After I got my car, I ended up trading the 21" wheels for base 19" wheels + $550 cash and he paid for the install. I gave him a good deal... Anyways, the dude recently got into a 55k mile CPO 2013 S60 with hi-fi, textile seats, everything else was base. He only paid $34,500 for it. Its the 13th cheapest car ever sold on the ev-cpo website. He told me that he waited around for a couple months to find the right deal then pounced on it within minutes of going live. Had the email notifications from the CPO website which really helped him.

Good call on trading the 21" wheels for 19" wheels. That was our first "upgrade" for our car :)

CPO prices are madness right now....so expensive! The theories from earlier posts seem to be plausible explanations. I'm holding out for the return to normalcy!

CPO prices really are complete madness right now when you see them listing 2014 P85Ds around $100K.

If you are not careful, you could end up buying a CPO car now for a grossly inflated cost and be hit with accrued depreciation when they stop trying to manipulate CPO prices by holding back inventory.

If you want a good rule of thumb, figure out the cost if the car when new, and 3 years later if you can get it for around 55% of the cost when new, that is decent. Anything better is a great deal.

Reactions: geometro
I bought a CPO about 5 months ago for what I thought was a good deal. 32K miles and roughly $40K under original sticker price.

Now I see similar cars (pre-AP 85) priced at 5 to 10 thousand dollars more. Unless they are now allowing price haggling I think there is something fishy going on.

I would like to upgrade to a 2015 P85D CPO within a year or two but not at $95K+. Some of them used to be priced around $75K to $80K. Now they seem to be all upper 80s and higher.

Manipulate supply to create demand?

Reactions: mb44 and geometro
Yeah, this is unfortunate— Tesla used to pride themselves on not playing typical car dealership games, but it seems like they are manipulating things in a similar fashion.

I agree. I feel the price fixing they do with the CPO cars is worse than the games dealers play. At least with dealers you can see their whole inventory and if a car is absurdly priced, you can at least make a reasonable offer.

With the CPO program, you have to a visit a Tesla store to see the actual inventory or pray that you have a responsive Advisor who will let you know when a vehicle you are interested in comes up or sign up with some inventory monitoring Web site to send you an alert when the car you are looking for is listed.

All the while they remove dozens or sometimes hundreds of cars from the inventory only to put them back and increase and decrease prices sometimes by tens of thousands.

Yeah the current Tesla CPO programs makes car dealers seems like very reasonable people.

I agree. I feel the price fixing they do with the CPO cars is worse than the games dealers play. At least with dealers you can see their whole inventory and if a car is absurdly priced, you can at least make a reasonable offer.

With the CPO program, you have to a visit a Tesla store to see the actual inventory or pray that you have a responsive Advisor who will let you know when a vehicle you are interested in comes up or sign up with some inventory monitoring Web site to send you an alert when the car you are looking for is listed.

All the while they remove dozens or sometimes hundreds of cars from the inventory only to put them back and increase and decrease prices sometimes by tens of thousands.

Yeah the current Tesla CPO programs makes car dealers seems like very reasonable people.

It's not good when Tesla's used car selling experience is worse than at a car dealer! :eek:

I think this will continue as long as they view the CPO program as an instrument to control demand for new cars by holding back inventory and inflating prices.

I don't think they'll be able to keep doing what they are doing now for too long. They are taking in Tesla trades every day with cars coming off leases and they will need to start selling those cars at some point :p

It's not good when Tesla's used car selling experience is worse than at a car dealer! :eek:

I think this will continue as long as they view the CPO program as an instrument to control demand for new cars by holding back inventory and inflating prices.

I don't think they'll be able to keep doing what they are doing now for too long. They are taking in Tesla trades every day with cars coming off leases and they will need to start selling those cars at some point :p

Agreed. The odd thing is that they seem to not want to take my money— I can’t configure my Model 3 and they have artificial prices on their used cars for the inventory they have made available.
I have no interest in dropping $80k+ on a car, so their desire to move the world to sustainable transport is conflicting with their pricing scheme.
I’m seriously starting to consider buying a used car around $30k-$40k, despite not wanting to buy another ICE.

Reactions: Electricious
Yeah, this is unfortunate— Tesla used to pride themselves on not playing typical car dealership games, but it seems like they are manipulating things in a similar fashion.
How is setting an asking price "manipulating"? As a business, they can set their prices any way they see fit to maximize their profits. It's not like they have monopoly on some product everyone needs to survive - they cars in a very high price bracket. If they overprice their product, they will not sell it. If they are selling, that means they priced it right, even if that means that some people won't be buying.

No matter what they do, people will complain. Expensive CPO bring out buyers who want a deal, low priced CPO's bring out owners who are ticked their resale value is going down. No way to please everyone. Tesla should do what is best for their business, as far as pricing is concerned.

Agreed. The odd thing is that they seem to not want to take my money— I can’t configure my Model 3 and they have artificial prices on their used cars for the inventory they have made available.
I have no interest in dropping $80k+ on a car, so their desire to move the world to sustainable transport is conflicting with their pricing scheme.
I’m seriously starting to consider buying a used car around $30k-$40k, despite not wanting to buy another ICE.

I can understand the frustration but hang in there! Whatever you do, don't buy an ICE relic!!!

More Model 3 configurations will open up soon and the current situation with the artificially high CPO pricing can't be sustained for too long. I doubt many looking to buy a CPO car are looking to pay almost as much as the cost of a new car to buy a car several years old...

As an owner, I hope they start using those lease returns as loaners. Last time I was at the local SC picking up parts, I overheard a few people getting Enterprise rentals for loaners :eek:

I've had my car in for service twice in about 18 months. Both times I got to sample one of GM's fine offerings (Chevy Impala and Buick Equinox). The Buick was at least handy to move some furniture.

Whether it's the supercharger or service center, Tesla has under invested in San Diego.

If you're getting that antsy I'd lease a Bolt or a 330e. You can get some seriously cheap deals last time I checked. Californians, Lease A Bolt EV For $138/Month, $0 Down! (After Rebates)

In a couple years things should've settled down a bit. Or you can wait for the inevitable CPO dump sometime this year. Which will be around the time my attitude swiches from "wow this car is still worth a lot, I should sell it" to "holy crap this thing has lost value, I should never have bought it"

Last edited:
Reactions: geometro
I can understand the frustration but hang in there! Whatever you do, don't buy an ICE relic!!!

More Model 3 configurations will open up soon and the current situation with the artificially high CPO pricing can't be sustained for too long. I doubt many looking to buy a CPO car are looking to pay almost as much as the cost of a new car to buy a car several years old...

"Hang in there" ? Easier said than done. Some people need to be able to drive to get to work, or haul their kids around. "Hanging in there for Elon time" is not an option if you need a car.

Unless of course you're offering the use of your Tesla for anyone who is willing to "hang in there" while waiting for a Model 3? ;)

Reactions: Ketchups
"Hang in there" ? Easier said than done. Some people need to be able to drive to get to work, or haul their kids around. "Hanging in there for Elon time" is not an option if you need a car.

Unless of course you're offering the use of your Tesla for anyone who is willing to "hang in there" while waiting for a Model 3? ;)

Yes, given the choice between an overpriced CPO inventory that is playing musical chairs with cars being moved in and out of inventory every few weeks and months along with the Model 3 configuration he wants not being available, it is either:

a) Possibly overpay for a CPO car now
b) Buy an ICE relic or a non Tesla EV that is compromised
c) Wait a bit more for additional Model 3 configurations to be available or CPO prices to be more "normal."

If possible, I would obviously pick option C.

If that is not possible, there is nothing else to discuss and people are I'm sure smart enough to do what they have to do :)

Last edited: