Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Mileage Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All
Im new to Model 3s having only driven the S many years ago in the UK.
Im now considering buying used, and im finding many bargains for Standard and Long Range versions for under £20k. The major problem is they all have 80k+ miles on them at 4years old. Are these excessive mileages and does any one know what to look out for on such vehicles?
I realise the batteries can run to 500000 miles if regularly maintained, but i dont see ttoo much said about the other parts. Any advice much appreciated

Thanks

Shogun

I have 67k on mine and it seems fairly new to me still. Carvana says mine is worth $16.6k which is dirt cheap, considering it's perfect and has FSD paid for.

I would check for the usual wear issues with any used vehicle. Check the upper control arms aren't squeaking, by pressing down on each front quarter panel. I'd make sure it had HW3, and not HW2.5. Is that on the info screen? Dunno. Look at the range screen and do the calculation to see what the BMS thinks the current range capacity is. At least you'll know what the car thinks its deg is. Oh yeah, also check the tire wear to make sure it's even across the tread. It can be hard to align given the only easy adjustment is the toe.

Hi All
Im new to Model 3s having only driven the S many years ago in the UK.
Im now considering buying used, and im finding many bargains for Standard and Long Range versions for under £20k. The major problem is they all have 80k+ miles on them at 4years old. Are these excessive mileages and does any one know what to look out for on such vehicles?
I realise the batteries can run to 500000 miles if regularly maintained, but i dont see ttoo much said about the other parts. Any advice much appreciated

Thanks

Shogun

if you search the model 3 subforum for the same words that you have in your thread title ( "High mileage model 3") you will find a few different threads on this discussion.

Here are some:

Thoughts on buying a used Model 3 from Hertz?
(this thread is about buying model 3s used as rentals most of which have higher mileage)

There are a few more but that should get you started.

20k/year is not excessive (at least in the US), but you won’t get any warranty coverage except for the battery, unless the warranty is different in the UK.
Many thanks for that EVRider, 20000 is average for company car drivers in the UK , but for me I intend to use it only for long distance / holiday use, so i expect to only put 5000 a year on it, and im planning on taking a after market warranty as well.

I have 67k on mine and it seems fairly new to me still. Carvana says mine is worth $16.6k which is dirt cheap, considering it's perfect and has FSD paid for.

I would check for the usual wear issues with any used vehicle. Check the upper control arms aren't squeaking, by pressing down on each front quarter panel. I'd make sure it had HW3, and not HW2.5. Is that on the info screen? Dunno. Look at the range screen and do the calculation to see what the BMS thinks the current range capacity is. At least you'll know what the car thinks its deg is. Oh yeah, also check the tire wear to make sure it's even across the tread. It can be hard to align given the only easy adjustment is the toe.
Thanks Ken, I havent bought it yet so i dont know the terms you mention, but i will ask the salesmen about them. UK average mileage insurance wise is 12000, but i intend only 5000 year, so hopefully i can pull back a high miler to average.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Asking this generally to everyone, is this really true? I didn't think there is user maintenance for the battery and even if babied, seems like the battery will fail much sooner than at 500k miles.
Thanks MGS. Im new to battery cars, but a google brought me this: How Long Does a Tesla Battery Last? - Insurify
I would have thought the failure issues would be around some of the sensor technology in use. If they fail, does the car not start/stop/cool/heat/guide?