Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highbeam Assist Model Y 2022 (1st July Delivery)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone with a new Model Y can confirm if there is an issue with high beam assist.
The issue here is that, it simply doesn't work as it should. It seems to blind a lot of drivers, fail to see headlights (not just one set, but many cars). I notice that its completely fine when your behind someone and works 100% (i.e. doesn't come on).

But at the moment, the function is most pointless as I have to keep manually turning it off to help other drivers out.

High beam assist is absolutely crap. Because of the light evenings what you might not have experienced yet, but may well do, is that chevron signs and other road signs cause the lights to dip. This is incredibly annoying because a chevron sign means that a bend is coming up, and the lights dip just when you really need them. They are also slow to go back on again afterwards.

The auto windscreen wipers, which are also crap, have at least seen considerable improvement with many software updates. After nearly three years, though, I haven’t noticed any improvement in the auto headlights at all.

Just realised how rubbish the lights are while trying autopilot on a busy dual carriageway for the first time. You have to have the auto full beam option on with autopilot on vision only cars and it is pretty unusable. Flashes on and off with cars ahead of me and a constant stream of cars in the oncoming lanes. I feel like the removal of radar is going to make new Teslas much less safe during winter with dark evenings as you can’t trust the auto high beam to have autopilot on.

Reactions: Toblerone
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone with a new Model Y can confirm if there is an issue with high beam assist.
The issue here is that, it simply doesn't work as it should. It seems to blind a lot of drivers, fail to see headlights (not just one set, but many cars). I notice that its completely fine when your behind someone and works 100% (i.e. doesn't come on).

But at the moment, the function is mostly pointless as I have to keep manually turning it off to help other drivers out.
This forum is full of Tesla haters now. What you are describing can be solved with headlight alignment from the service menu. Park the car in a place with flat surface and start the alignment from the service menu. Then check the high beam and manually correct the left and right positions to your liking. Repeat this process and you will nail the ideal setting in one or two attempts.

The car is absolutely safe to drive even in pitch dark conditions. I have used NoA in Scotland on motorways with no lights and it still handled the curves perfectly.

The headlight alignment issue is because Tesla designed for the US market where automatic alignment isn’t a requirement. To type approve for Europe they had to add it, they installed sensors on the rear suspension as thats where the weight changes the most (sometimes the boot is empty, other times it might have 100kg+ in it) which in turn adjusts the pitch of the car and the auto alignment then tries to correct on every journey. But it’s a design flaw as simply parking on a slope will also change the car pitch which the system will try and correct when not needed. There’s nothing Tesla can really do to fix without more or better sensors.
It also calibrates after a software update, but do that on a slope or with something heavy in the boot and things are even worse.

pradhu proposes the fix, but it’s one that regularly needs doing and potentially on every journey, and they’d be the first to be critical of the competition if they had such a shortcoming.

I drove our MY for the first time in the dark yesterday, the headlights were just all over the place with an array of rectangular segments of different brightnesses and an irregular heights. I’ve also read that with the shift to Tesla vision you have to have automatic high beam turned on and that’s proven to be unreliable in the past. Headlights aren’t and have never been a Tesla strong point.

If that makes me a “hater” and not a “realist” to some then it’s something I’ll not lose any sleep over, I’d prefer to call out the issues in the hope Tesla respond and fix. There’s lots of speculation they’re making changes to the model y suspension because of the complaints about the ride, if nobody had complained would they have acted?

This forum is full of Tesla haters now.
Nonsense. Just because I’m critical of some elements of the car (absolutely justifiably, regardless of what the fan boys will say) doesn’t make me a hater.

If you’re not open to discussion where you might not agree with the points made, I’d suggest this forum (or any other for that matter) isn’t for you.

Reactions: sfRonH
This forum is full of Tesla haters now. What you are describing can be solved with headlight alignment from the service menu. Park the car in a place with flat surface and start the alignment from the service menu. Then check the high beam and manually correct the left and right positions to your liking. Repeat this process and you will nail the ideal setting in one or two attempts.

The car is absolutely safe to drive even in pitch dark conditions. I have used NoA in Scotland on motorways with no lights and it still handled the curves perfectly.
No, the crap auto headlights absolutely cannot be solved by headlight alignment. That, as the name suggests, will only help if the headlights are badly misaligned. It will not help with the fact that the headlights are often slow to dim for oncoming cars, thus leading to other drivers flashing their headlights in annoyance, and nor will it help with the annoying tendency for road signs to cause the headlights to dim.

If someone criticises an aspect of their car does that make them a “Tesla Hater”? There are plenty of things I love about my M3P but in other aspects it is far less than perfect. We need balanced views, especially to counter the fanboys who will tolerate no criticism whatsoever of Tesla, however much that criticism might be deserved.

Anyone who is too sensitive to cope with legitimate criticism should perhaps not read this forum.

I guess one can only hope they are going to sort out these issues soon. Seems crazy to fit cars with matrix headlights and not make proper use of them, particularly given the German competition is mounting.
I think I've read on here that (functioning) matrix lights are not allowed in the US hence no urgency to enable them yet in Tesla's eyes. Begs the question why install them then, but I suspect that is about having the means to enable at some future date?

Status
Not open for further replies.