Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Higher value EVs not eligible for £3,000 PiCG (grant) anymore!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Loss of the grant was always going to happen past 2020. Seems that this latest action is part of the 'managed exit' discussed in 2018. They decided to continue it but at a reduced level to spread the benefit over a wider area.

Page 52 - https://assets.publishing.service.g.../attachment_data/file/739460/road-to-zero.pdf

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Yev000
I’m genuinely surprised they just tacked £3k on to both cars.

Thought the LR would go up as there was no incentive for them to keep it below £50k, and there was a big gap between it and the P.

Didn’t think they would increase the price of the SR+ by the full £3k (or at all), simply because there will be people who are stretching themselves to get that one - and presumably Tesla wants those customers?

Demand must still be sky high on these cars that Tesla feels it can do this with impunity.

It's a shame. For most of yesterday they kept the prices the same (swallowing the grant themselves) but now gone back up. Who knows what will happen next week. I'd imagine there'll be a few lost orders as a result.

Managed withdrawal of support was communicated ahead of time.

I anticipated some changes (was expecting it around Budget 21), so placed a lease order back in Feb (with an option to cancel).

Now looking timely to have locked in the lower price. The way I viewed it was - it was a cheap call option.

Was even more surprised at the time when broker agreed to pass on any price drop before delivery (an added bonus but looked unlikely)

Reactions: Durzel
I have only just found this article which was published at the start of this month, it states that the National Audit Office was not overly impressed with the effects of the grant.

I wonder if this triggered a rapid change.

I’ve just been onto Tesla about my inventory order and was told that the inventory cars may still come out with the grant price included as they were registered before the grant was taken away. I also asked about the condition of cars with less than 50 miles and was told that they are brand new. Is this really true? The one I’ve picked showed 267 miles range and didn’t have the door wooden trim, so it must be a Fremnt car right?

Think I’m going to stick with the inventory order at £40,430 since my other order I placed yesterday with white interior now shows £44,490 due.

Reactions: Rivelino70
I anticipated this ahead of the budget, so placed a lease order ahead of this (with an option to cancel).

Now looking timely to have locked in a lower price. A nice call option.
It’s really sketchy how they just announced this with no warning, effective immediately. With the previous £500 reduction and £50k threshold added it was announced in the Budget, and became effective a few days later. At the very least they could've given people 24 hours to get an order in.

They put the price of the P up by £3k as well, That didn't even qualify for the grant to start with.
Nah, P has been £59,990 for some time.

There are new HMRC rules on calculation of balloon values ...

If only car manufacturers could "decide" what their depreciation was, I'm sure they'd like that!
I don't believe it's new HMRC rules, more that manufacturers and their finance arms we manipulating PCP's. The acid question HMRC asked (of Merc I think) was "how many people pay the balloon and keep the car?". The answer was hardly anybody - because the balloon was too high and not representative of the true value of the vehicle. It did keep the monthlies lower though.......

The net result was HMRC said this is really a lease and unless the balloon figures are more representative the VAT treatment is going to change. Consequently those companies who supported their PCP's with "highly optimistic" residuals (e.g. Tesla) had to reduce them - increasing the monthlies.

Historically I've used PCP many times and paid a small premium when compared to lease for the added flexibility it gives. On changing cars this time the cost differential between lease and PCP was £10k over the term.

Reactions: btc1k and browellm
Most of the new inventory is listed with a discount which more or less matches the grant. If you're thinking of buying and the grant is a swing factor, get in while you can. The grant can be seen by clicking on the top right hand corner, but be wary some of the inventory are the last of the fremont built cars and won't have the heated steering wheel if that matters to you. I prefer to browse here because you can see the model year, if made in china and discount all much easier, plus when the car was made.

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
Most of the new inventory is listed with a discount which more or less matches the grant. If you're thinking of buying and the grant is a swing factor, get in while you can. The grant can be seen by clicking on the top right hand corner, but be wary some of the inventory are the last of the fremont built cars and won't have the heated steering wheel if that matters to you. I prefer to browse here because you can see the model year, if made in china and discount all much easier, plus when the car was made.
Would be surprised, I got an "inventory" car and requested to pick it up at Southampton as it would be quicker.... That was 2 weeks ago, it was MIC with heated steering wheel. I would bet that 99% of inventory cars came on that ship. Maybe a demo car would be Fremont.

All the LRs in existing inventory has a "showroom adjustment" of £2,500

Here is my order agreement

Descrip6on Price (GBP) Model 3 Long Range All-Wheel Drive £49,000.00
Midnight Silver Metallic Paint £1,000.00
18’’ Aero Wheels Included All Black Premium Interior Included Autopilot Included
Delivery and Registra6on Fee £935.00
Price excluding VAT £42,445.83
Price Including VAT £50,935.00 VAT (20%) £8,489.17
First Registra6on Fee £55.00
UK Government Plug-In Grant -£3,000.00
TotalAmount due £47,990.00*

Exactly the same car thats not a "demo" £48,490 with "showroom adjustment" Base price £50,990

Totally forgot about the heated steering wheel, d’oh! Was excited about maybe getting that in my eventual Chinese built Model 3. Is it really there in the SR+ cars though?

The other drawback of the Fremont car is that battery range is lower. But I’ve heard the new LFP batteries can have some downsides too such as poorer performance in cold weather and slower supercharging. I don’t have a way of charging at home and would rarely top it up to full so I think the older battery may work in my favour…

Given that I'm wasn't planning to buy the LR till September, I should probably just not obsess for the next 6 months and then just see where everything is come September. Sadly I know that I will probably do exactly the opposite and drive myself mad!
I’d be feeling the same.

I nearly postponed my Feb M3 LR order to hold out for a GigaBerlin Model Y . Glad I didn’t now.

Would be surprised, I got an "inventory" car and requested to pick it up at Southampton as it would be quicker.... That was 2 weeks ago, it was MIC with heated steering wheel. I would bet that 99% of inventory cars came on that ship. Maybe a demo car would be Fremont.

All the LRs in existing inventory has a "showroom adjustment" of £2,500

Here is my order agreement

Descrip6on Price (GBP) Model 3 Long Range All-Wheel Drive £49,000.00
Midnight Silver Metallic Paint £1,000.00
18’’ Aero Wheels Included All Black Premium Interior Included Autopilot Included
Delivery and Registra6on Fee £935.00
Price excluding VAT £42,445.83
Price Including VAT £50,935.00 VAT (20%) £8,489.17
First Registra6on Fee £55.00
UK Government Plug-In Grant -£3,000.00
TotalAmount due £47,990.00*

Exactly the same car thats not a "demo" £48,490 with "showroom adjustment" Base price £50,990
Not sure what you'd be surprised at? The price with grant is 48k, the price without the grant but a Tesla discount is 48.5k. the price now is 51k.. whether they continue to offer the discount is unknown.

On the SR+, just surfing the cars in inventory its a real mixture of the two (MIC and Fremont), I haven't looked at the LR in fairness to see where they are made, but it may be that only inventory are discounted. Somebody mentioned Tesla had applied for the grant on all the cars already so maybe the "discount" is still the actual grant but they can't offer it on the next batch.

(Edited to add, LRs do seem to all be China but SR+ are pretty much an even split)

@BarryW - I don't know which I'd prefer. There are still reports of the LFP not breaking 100kw on a supercharger even with the latest software and given a choice I'd probably go for the Fremont battery if I was looking at SR+, but on everything else it points to China being the better option. On that basis I think its down to personal choice and what you value more.

I don't believe it's new HMRC rules, more that manufacturers and their finance arms we manipulating PCP's. The acid question HMRC asked (of Merc I think) was "how many people pay the balloon and keep the car?". The answer was hardly anybody - because the balloon was too high and not representative of the true value of the vehicle. It did keep the monthlies lower though.......

The net result was HMRC said this is really a lease and unless the balloon figures are more representative the VAT treatment is going to change. Consequently those companies who supported their PCP's with "highly optimistic" residuals (e.g. Tesla) had to reduce them - increasing the monthlies.

Historically I've used PCP many times and paid a small premium when compared to lease for the added flexibility it gives. On changing cars this time the cost differential between lease and PCP was £10k over the term.
but how realistic was the expected final value? if you think it has been set too low then you can claw back the difference then. Though 10K sounds like a lot to be out by