Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you are making it too complicated. If step 2 takes 10 minutes, you can only make a car every 10 minutes regardless of conveyor size. Once the line is full, the queue times do not impact production rate, unless the conveyor itself is the bottle neck (for example, can only move one assembly at a time, and it that takes more than 5 minutes).

The buffering does help with process synchronization (having material ready when the step is available). In your example, if you don't fill the buffer in the conveyor, each car has only a 20 minute build time. Less queue time, same build rate.
I'm not focusing on the about production rate at all, and I am in agreement with your conclusion on production rate, just to be clear.

I'm trying to figure out the total time a car spend in the line, which is relevant to the discussion of delay between VIN registration and assignment. As you mentioned up thread that the line is bumper to bumper, and also thet they likely have buffering to help with process synchronization, then the situation should be close to what I depicted. And my conclusion is that any speed up in robot processing time will also help the queue time. Do we have any disagreement here?

I'm not focusing on the about production rate at all, and I am in agreement with your conclusion on production rate, just to be clear.

I'm trying to figure out the total time a car spend in the line, which is relevant to the discussion of delay between VIN registration and assignment. As you mentioned up thread that the line is bumper to bumper, and also thet they likely have buffering to help with process synchronization, then the situation should be close to what I depicted. And my conclusion is that any speed up in robot processing time will also help the queue time. Do we have any disagreement here?

:)
No disagreement that speeding up the slowest point makes the line go faster.
If you are looking at time on line related to VIN: worst case is the cars go down the line sideways, so say 8 feet per car. If the line is one mile long (>2x width of factory), it can only hold 660 cars, so 3 days or less of production at current rates. My vague recollection of another plant was sub 300 processes, so that would give a buffer spot for each step.

Can Model 3's be picked up there? I thought Fremont and costa mesa were the only options?
In January, I picked up my first Model 3 at Marina Del Rey which is a huge delivery center. My second Model 3 I picked up at Santa Barbara Store/Service in February. Santa Barbara has a huge lot behind the fence. Several of my friends have picked up in Santa Barbara. It is an excellent location for deliveries.

Reactions: kbM3 and erthquake
The line is designed to do 5k on its own, the slowdown has been in pack supply which should be alleviated with the new GF1 equipment. Fremont will then be continually updating and tuning the line to keep up.
Hopefully we see or hear more at the Q1 call/letter.

Ahh I see. And I seem to remember that the pack production is expected to go up with some additional equipment that came from Germany. Kinda pieces that together. Thanks

Santa Barbara Tesla lot must have 20 model 3s waiting for delivery. Usually empty.
Similar situation in Atlanta (Decatur SC) on 3/28. At least a dozen Model 3s, and many dozens of S/X, which looked to be the usual quarter-end push. The DS who delivered mine said they were delivering a car every 20 minutes this week (but I don't know how many hours per day). With pollen season in full swing in Atlanta right now, one minor but real challenge is ensuring the cars aren't coated in yellow when customers first receive them...the SC only fits maybe 10 cars inside its small space.

Similar situation in Atlanta (Decatur SC) on 3/28. At least a dozen Model 3s, and many dozens of S/X, which looked to be the usual quarter-end push. The DS who delivered mine said they were delivering a car every 20 minutes this week (but I don't know how many hours per day). With pollen season in full swing in Atlanta right now, one minor but real challenge is ensuring the cars aren't coated in yellow when customers first receive them...the SC only fits maybe 10 cars inside its small space.
At the Charlotte, NC store yesterday, there were two Model 3s in the delivery bay, one ready for delivery in the service bay entrance, two more getting prepped for delivery in the service area, three more waiting to come in to be prepped for delivery and there were 8 more on the way for delivery. They had already delivered two of them that morning.

Reactions: KJD
So people in March got VINs from the 7000's to the 15,000's? That seems odd. I wonder if those who got the 7000's got cars that had been looping back and back, continually failing some quality inspection or another until they finally are ready for delivery. Then and only then do they put on the door sticker, so you end up with all these various VINs all with the same production month on the door frame.

I cannot imagine any other scenario where VINs come thru the factory in this out of order manner. Especially since when you line all the VINs together on the invitation spreadsheet you find that all the VINs in a row are painted the same color. So it has to be that they start stamping VINs after getting them from the feds on parts that they assemble in order, but along the way they get separated from each other.

-Randy

So people in March got VINs from the 7000's to the 15,000's? That seems odd. I wonder if those who got the 7000's got cars that had been looping back and back, continually failing some quality inspection or another until they finally are ready for delivery. Then and only then do they put on the door sticker, so you end up with all these various VINs all with the same production month on the door frame.

I cannot imagine any other scenario where VINs come thru the factory in this out of order manner. Especially since when you line all the VINs together on the invitation spreadsheet you find that all the VINs in a row are painted the same color. So it has to be that they start stamping VINs after getting them from the feds on parts that they assemble in order, but along the way they get separated from each other.

-Randy

The dash has a VIN tag (the one seen through the windshield) that would be quite difficult to change. It could be something as simple as the dash assemblies having VIN tags attached when built and shipped to Fremont, so the car gets the VIN of the latest dash taken out of storage. Or the tag is sramped and attached on the line, and the number comes from some non FIFO list.
The NHTSA search is a pass through portal to Tesla's information. Tesla feeds the data to the feds, there is no approval from the feds to Tesla for number use.

-Randy
maybe Tesla produced ~8000 cars in March? what do you think is a reasonable spread of VIN in March?

Reactions: MP3Mike
OneSixtyToOne posted 12229 on M3OC

Attachments

• 8A09FA81-2EF1-4F12-87B4-1B366A36AF11.jpeg
    8A09FA81-2EF1-4F12-87B4-1B366A36AF11.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 74