Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The dash has a VIN tag (the one seen through the windshield) that would be quite difficult to change. It could be something as simple as the dash assemblies having VIN tags attached when built and shipped to Fremont, so the car gets the VIN of the latest dash taken out of storage. Or the tag is sramped and attached on the line, and the number comes from some non FIFO list.
The NHTSA search is a pass through portal to Tesla's information. Tesla feeds the data to the feds, there is no approval from the feds to Tesla for number use.

I thought other parts on the car were also tagged. Incase it was stolen and the Vin tag altered.

Hidden 4th VIN on cars? Law & Order - Straight Dope Message Board

Locate the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) | DMV.ORG

• Love
Reactions: AZRI11
In a german forum someone leaked that 9nly 3.256 Model 3 wer build.
img-mt-1680234223556715024-asset-7477244490546781111.JPG

Could that be?

Or is that a April joke?

I thought other parts on the car were also tagged. Incase it was stolen and the Vin tag altered.

That's why I said it starts with the VIN being put on parts in serial order and then assembled. I think the dash and the frame and the motors and many other parts all get numbered. But the sticker on the door jam is put on when the car is ready for delivery, so you get this wide range of cars all getting to delivery in the same month.

-Randy

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
That's why I said it starts with the VIN being put on parts in serial order and then assembled. I think the dash and the frame and the motors and many other parts all get numbered. But the sticker on the door jam is put on when the car is ready for delivery, so you get this wide range of cars all getting to delivery in the same month.

-Randy
Fonts not even close. Lol.

Is the VIN stamped on S & X battery packs, the most valuable part of the vehicle? It may just be a firmware VIN unless the Gov does't recognize it a a real VIN.

I do not recall having seen it there, and given the amount of swapping that goes on, I sure hope it isn't for logistics sake. If it is password locked in firmware, that should be good enough for anti-theft legislation. That's the same approach used for things like odometer storage and high value modules.

I'm hopeful we'll see 14000 assigned early next week.

One more thing to bear in mind is at what stage of production the VINs are assigned out. Our understanding here is that Tesla normally seems to assign VINs after the car is out of production, they match the cars to available buyers and deliver. What they could have been doing in the last few weeks, Tesla could be assigning VINs from cars still in production, just to give themselves extra lead time on finding buyers that can take delivery before the end of the quarter, so that could explain the reduction from 2.5 wks down to 11 days in those 2 examples I gave. So if Tesla now goes back to the old method, we could be looking at 2+ wks lead time again.

P.S. the overall production rate could be increasing, but I don't know if that necessarily scales directly to how much time each car takes to go through the line. I'm envisioning a freeway with speed limit of 65mph, when it gets busier it just has more cars on it, but the speed of each car is still ~65mph. Tesla could just be jamming more cars in the production line.

The fastest automobile production line in the world has cars coming out at the average speed of less than 0.45 mph.

If you pick a random grandmother she could walk faster than that even if she has to use a walker.

Last edited:
So 2000/week now means in the absolute worst case scenario of Eon Musk finding some other bottlenecks along the way, 450,000 orders should be fulfilled in 4 years and 4 months or by Aug 2022. And in the best case scenario if they get to the new maximum of 8000/week by EOY 2018, then all orders would be fulfilled by Oct 2019. :)

Reactions: jkirkwood001