Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hill Control Lies! Rolled back and hit a car :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at a red light uphill, double checked that hill control was enabled, took my foot off and fiddled with the music, and then i suddenly rolled back and hit the car behind me! ;( ;( ;( pics attached. Is this something tesla would take responsibility for? Can they diagnose what went wrong?

Sensor popped out, reflector bent etc. other car had more damage of course. ugh.

edit: photo

Attachments

• IMG_4727.JPG
    IMG_4727.JPG
    354 KB · Views: 309
I was at a red light uphill, double checked that hill control was enabled, took my foot off and fiddled with the music, and then i suddenly rolled back and hit the car behind me! ;( ;( ;( pics attached. Is this something tesla would take responsibility for? Can they diagnose what went wrong?
Huh?? Since when is hill hold assist supposed to do anything but hold the brake for a second or two so you can reach the accelerator. I wasn't aware that hill hold assist in any vehicle holds the brake indefinitely.

Huh?? Since when is hill hold assist supposed to do anything but hold the brake for a second or two so you can reach the accelerator. I wasn't aware that hill hold assist in any vehicle holds the brake indefinitely.
I think you're confusing he pre-autopilot with post. Post-AP cars allow you to engage the hill hold indefinitely.

• Informative
Reactions: newtman
Happened yesterday to me too! Car behind me honked so I braked with an inch to spare! I think I've said the following in a thread before but I'll say again:

When in drive, there is NEVER a situation when I want the car to move in reverse.

A few updates back I think they made it so you need to put a bit more pressure on the brake to enable "hold". Could have been my imagination. Desire is for the following:

If I'm stopped, and creep is set to off, automatically put the car in hold. "Stopped" can be defined as that instant of time before rolling backwards when slowing down moving uphill.

If that isn't possible due to a safety concern or regulation, then visually and audibly warn me the instant the car rolls in reverse when in "drive".

I think you're confusing he pre-autopilot with post. Post-AP cars allow you to engage the hill hold indefinitely.
exactly, the car started rolling AFTER hill hold was engaged. this is an X so yeah post-ap.
Happened yesterday to me too! Car behind me honked so I braked with an inch to spare! I think I've said the following in a thread before but I'll say again:

When in drive, there is NEVER a situation when I want the car to move in reverse.

A few updates back I think they made it so you need to put a bit more pressure on the brake to enable "hold". Could have been my imagination. Desire is for the following:

If I'm stopped, and creep is set to off, automatically put the car in hold. "Stopped" can be defined as that instant of time before rolling backwards when slowing down moving uphill.

If that isn't possible due to a safety concern or regulation, then visually and audibly warn me the instant the car rolls in reverse when in "drive".

did you report this to tesla? SO lucky there wasnt anyone standing between the cars!

I've caught myself accidentally tapping a pedal and disengaging it before…. I fortunately didn't have a near miss, but I ended up deciding to hit Park every time I wanted to do something where I couldn't catch the car rolling (e.g. when fiddling with infotainment or other stuff).

I was at a car wash trying to punch in my code and while reaching out, hit the accelerator a bit.

did you report this to tesla? SO lucky there wasnt anyone standing between the cars!

I can't be 100% certain I engaged it. I'm in the habit of using hold at most all stops though - I put it in hold unconsciously by applying significant extra pressure to the brake when stopped and also look for the hold icon. That said, it is absolutely possible that I didn't press hard enough and/or didn't verify the icon. In fact, I'll assume I was in error. My hope is that Tesla takes one of my suggestions above to reduce the chance of such an error in the future.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX
I've never been able to bring myself to having hill control engaged with my foot off the brake for any length of time.

Maybe it's trust issues.

Sure I use hill control on hills all the time, but that's just for the moment from the brake to the throttle. So I don't slip back.

I also use hill control on mostly flat surfaces when I don't want a delay between moving my foot from the brake to the throttle. So I have it hovering on the throttle.

It holds the brake almost indefinitely. If you're in Hill Hold mode too long it automatically puts you into park.
(Source: playing Pokemon Go too often)

• Funny
Reactions: Roentgen
I'm pretty sure hill hold is not meant to be an autonomous driving feature. It's just there to hold the car long enough for you to switch pedals. If you want the brake to hold, hold the brake, or put it in park. I don't think Tesla has ever guaranteed anything more than that.