TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Hitch receiver size?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by rdalcanto, Mar 22, 2015.

1. rdalcanto

rdalcanto Member

Can anyone with some computer skills try to get a measurement of the receiver and figure out if it is 2 inches or not? It looks smaller to me, which would make it pretty useless if it is. Don't want to have to use an adapter that sticks out 6-8 inches just to get my bike rack on there....

Attached Files:

2. patrick42h

patrick42h Member

It looks like a standard 2-inch receiver to me. To me, it looks a lot like the TorkLift trailer hitch that some people have put on their Model S, which uses a 2-inch receiver.

Screen-Shot-2014-05-31-at-2.48.41-PM.png

3. AlbertOnMars

AlbertOnMars Member

The TorkLift hitch comes with either a 2" or 1.25" receiver. You can conveniently swap them out if need be. I plan on having one of these installed (for hauling bikes) once I get the car, and I'll be using the 1.25" receiver.

Torklift Central | 2012-2015 Tesla Model S EcoHitch - Tesla - Find Your EcoHitch® - Trailer Hitch and Towing

4. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

5. AlbertOnMars

AlbertOnMars Member

6. rdalcanto

rdalcanto Member

Yes. I had not seen that pic. Agree that looks more like 2 inch. Thanks guys!

7. stevej119

stevej119 Member

How many bikes do you carry? There are a number of 1-1/4" racks out there which will carry two bikes, though as AlbertOnMars stated, you can switch between 1-1/4" and 2" with the TorkLift receiver mount.

8. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

I'm hoping to be able to carry up to 4 bikes on a rear mount rack. I'm with rdalcanto on wanting a 2" receiver.

I plan on getting one of these...

1UPUSA.com :: Double Quik Rack Black

9. tga

tga Active Member

Measuring photo #7 on my laptop's screen with a set of digital calipers, I get 2.19mm for the receiver width/height, and 20.70mm for the height of the wheels (from the viewing angle, you can't use wheel width, since it projects on the image as oval)

Assuming the wheels are 19" (the sidewalls look to high for 21"), I get 19"/20.70mm, or 0.9178 inch/mm photo scale. 0.9178 in/mm * 2.19mm = 2.01"
    Assuming the wheels are 21", I get 21"/20.70mm, or 1.0145 inch/mm photo scale. 1.0145 in/mm * 2.19mm = 2.22"

Class III and IV receivers are 2", class V are 2.5" (there is no 2.25" receiver). Plus, if you are trying to claim "better towing capacity than anything in it's class" (or whatever the quote was), you aren't installing a dinky 1.25" class II receiver (max 3500lb trailer weight).

TL;DR - Conclusion - My math says it's a 2" receiver.

10. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Thanks for doing the math!

11. Macgaver

Macgaver Member

i believe the Model-X prototype was on 24" wheel (no official source, but many traces everywhere in the forum). In fact my guess is that Model-X base height difference compared to the S will be mostly (if not all) about the size of the wheel+tire.

Personally I don't want to have tire as thin that what the S provide with it's 21". SUV, even with sport tires need some extra to go in my comfort zone. (my opinion)

12. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Active Member

Great analysis, guys. Thank you!

I did some ground clearance measurements assuming these were 19" wheels... didn't get far with that, though. Anyone else care to comment more on the wheel size now that we have a potential data point in the hitch?

13. AnxietyRanger

If someone wants to do more calculations, here are some new good photos of a potential Model X mule disguised as a Model S towing setup:

Model X towing ability - Page 5

14. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Ummm, those aren't "new" they're from over a month ago and surely you know that seeing as you're linking to a link you created to the old photos. :confused:

15. AnxietyRanger

It is true I missed the date on these ones. In any case, they hadn't been discussed here yet.

16. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Ummm, no they haven't...they were discussed over in the thread you linked. Why not continue the discussion there?

17. AnxietyRanger

I wish we didn't have to argue everything.

Anyway, what I meant was, those images contain new photographs of a Tesla hitch setup if someone wants to make further calculations on the topic of this thread.

18. robby

robby Member

I still don't understand why people are assuming that's testing X towing and not S towing.

19. AnxietyRanger

FWIW, I am not assuming that. I agree it can be merely Model S testing. It makes sense that any improvements for towing in the base platform would trickle down to Model S anyway unless market positioning or other special circumstances dictate otherwise.

That said, there is precedence in the auto industry of testing mules with outward appearance of another model. It would be interesting to know if Tesla has precedence - for example is this such a case or not:

Tesla Model X AWD Prototype Test Mule Spotted Testing (w/video) | Inside EVs

In any case, for the topic of this thread, there is a high-res close-up of the tow receiver. Assuming this is Tesla testing (check manufacturer plates), I assume such a size would likely be applicable to Model X as well.

20. Breezy

Breezy Member

I don't imagine the Model S will be equipped for towing, officially. Everyone knows that cars can't tow, but if you put SUV or crossover like sheetmetal on the same platform, then yeah sure it can tow. :rolleyes: