Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always use my mirrors & look over my shoulder. Hence 30+yrs of accident free motoring. The (imo) dangerous camera function is turned off in my car having tried it!
As I said as an ex (UK) soldier we were taught, point aim and shoot ….. not spray n pray as in the movies. Any soldier on my ranges who didn’t follow the above plus keep his weapon pointed down the range at all times would’ve had his weapon taken off him and then been disciplined. As I also said, no other vehicle manufacturers use a centralised display for lane change warnings, there’s a reason for that (again IMO)
I think we kinda agree with each other. You are not supposed to be looking at the screen when changing lanes. You are supposed to look at the screen quickly before changing lanes to be sure that the lane is clear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tezlowski
I think we kinda agree with each other. You are not supposed to be looking at the screen when changing lanes. You are supposed to look at the screen quickly before changing lanes to be sure that the lane is clear.
I think you’re right, it concerns me that other’s won’t see it this way & start to use the screen only though. Personally I’ll stick with the “if it aint broke don’t fix it“ approach though. I love my M3 but a fair bit is pointless to me (this being one of them) the overview of the car & it’s surroundings being another. Bit like my smartphone really I like a lot but some of it is pure crap😂. I’m not a full convert to Tesla nor Apple, they’re pretty good but not “the bee’s knees”😁

I know it is usable. Some people love to claim all kind of funny stuff. Oh well.
since you seem to think that anyone who has an issue with V11 is either making stuff up or FOS, here's the view from my side mirror with the blinker on. It was taken in my garage with the lights on so the glare isn't as bad but you can see a pink haze on the top half of the image. At night on the street, everything above the line is completely obscured by the glare.

1641759339412.png

Reactions: Xdama
Awareness of the relative motion of all traffic around me has been part of my psyche since my days as a Navy air traffic controller, reinforced during my career as a pilot. I make lane change decisions based on traffic awareness from multiple sources, then signal and now make a quick glance of confirmation with the new feature. I love it but agree it would be even better higher on the screen. For those that don't like it, don't use it, it wasn't there before.

since you seem to think that anyone who has an issue with V11 is either making stuff up or FOS, here's the view from my side mirror with the blinker on. It was taken in my garage with the lights on so the glare isn't as bad but you can see a pink haze on the top half of the image. At night on the street, everything above the line is completely obscured by the glare.

View attachment 753861
Looks like you need a camera replacement. My cameras are without glare day and night.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Looks like you need a camera replacement. My cameras are without glare day and night.
🤷‍♂️
Maybe - as I've said, there appears to be a significant number of people with the same issue. I suspect they may have changed the camera/blinker design somewhere along the way.

Pointless & dangerous imo. Why look at a centralised display when you’re changing lane, you should be looking in wing mirrors or over your shoulder.
Exactly.
Wouldn’t that make it even more safe? You still the have side mirrors and rear view mirror. Plus you have cameras that can see around your vehicle and lane UI that will notify you if you are making a lane change error. Most cars just have mirrors and maybe sensors.

If looking at the screen is unsafe for you don’t look at it when changing lanes. The correct way to use it is to check the screen to see if the lane is clear first then you change lane Without looking at the screen. “you should be looking in wing mirrors or over your shoulder” This correct and with or without all of Teslas advanced safety you can always just use the mirrors only If that what works for you.
No, this system forces you to look away from the mirrors and road, particularly when merging to the left where your blind spot is most prevalent. An additional problem with this system is the perspective is such that it's not intuitive so it takes a moment to orient your view. That would probably lessen with time but is a limitation, regardless.

I always use my mirrors & look over my shoulder. Hence 30+yrs of accident free motoring. The (imo) dangerous camera function is turned off in my car having tried it!
As I said as an ex (UK) soldier we were taught, point aim and shoot ….. not spray n pray as in the movies. Any soldier on my ranges who didn’t follow the above plus keep his weapon pointed down the range at all times would’ve had his weapon taken off him and then been disciplined. As I also said, no other vehicle manufacturers use a centralised display for lane change warnings, there’s a reason for that (again IMO)😁
Honda used to use this system - I think they called it 'Honda Lane watch' and I specifically did not buy a Honda because of it. I test drove one and found it just as distracting then as I do now. They quit using it for good reason.

Both our Subaru and Audi have a large light on the inner surface of the side mirror housings. When you look at the mirror it's immediately obvious that a car is in your blind spot. No need to look anywhere else. No need to adjust your perspective. Simple, clear and it fits precisely into the normal workflow that people use when driving. Essentially the hallmarks of a well-designed system.

Reactions: Xdama
50% of the posts here should have been in the “I’m confused with V11” thread…
No - I'm not confused at all. Nor are any of the other people. We're just annoyed that Tesla arbitrarily made the interface more difficult to use and decided to hide or bury often used features in submenus where they are harder to access for no good reason. You seem to assume that anyone who doesn't like V11 is confused.

For all the people who have dutifully disliked every post that wasn't glowingly positive about V11, can you pleas explain to my how the new interface makes things easier and why any of these changes were necessary?

Prime example - how does having some blank space at the bottom of the screen instead of the defrost 'buttons' improve anything? How does hiding the driver profiles in a submenu help? Especially when my knees are getting smashed against the dashboard because the car is going to my wife's profile rather than mine? How does adding an icon to instantly access games improve the driving experience?

🤷‍♂️
Maybe - as I've said, there appears to be a significant number of people with the same issue. I suspect they may have changed the camera/blinker design somewhere along the way.

Exactly.

No, this system forces you to look away from the mirrors and road, particularly when merging to the left where your blind spot is most prevalent. An additional problem with this system is the perspective is such that it's not intuitive so it takes a moment to orient your view. That would probably lessen with time but is a limitation, regardless.

Honda used to use this system - I think they called it 'Honda Lane watch' and I specifically did not buy a Honda because of it. I test drove one and found it just as distracting then as I do now. They quit using it for good reason.

Both our Subaru and Audi have a large light on the inner surface of the side mirror housings. When you look at the mirror it's immediately obvious that a car is in your blind spot. No need to look anywhere else. No need to adjust your perspective. Simple, clear and it fits precisely into the normal workflow that people use when driving. Essentially the hallmarks of a well-designed system.
Who is forcing you to look at the screen while changing lanes?
Just quickly check screen to see if desired lane is open then change lanes without looking at the screen.
Or you can go old school with just mirrors?

Last edited:
No - I'm not confused at all. Nor are any of the other people. We're just annoyed that Tesla arbitrarily made the interface more difficult to use and decided to hide or bury often used features in submenus where they are harder to access for no good reason. You seem to assume that anyone who doesn't like V11 is confused.

For all the people who have dutifully disliked every post that wasn't glowingly positive about V11, can you pleas explain to my how the new interface makes things easier and why any of these changes were necessary?

Prime example - how does having some blank space at the bottom of the screen instead of the defrost 'buttons' improve anything? How does hiding the driver profiles in a submenu help? Especially when my knees are getting smashed against the dashboard because the car is going to my wife's profile rather than mine? How does adding an icon to instantly access games improve the driving experience?
You sound confused to me. First the difficulties you had with the seat heaters and now you state the system forces you to look at the screen while merging lanes. Both statements made by you should be relocated to the “I’m confused with V11” thread.

View attachment 753861
Maybe try wipe you cam from smudges?

• Disagree
Reactions: SalisburySam
Hopefully Tesla is listening to V11 feedback in this and other forums, and will be making usability improvements soon. A couple more observations from version 2021.44.30:
1. When there's no mobile reception, a 'no service' icon appears at the top of the screen, to the left of the passenger airbag icon. At least that's something useful, but bringing back the previous signal strength meter would be preferable.
2. Another reason for restoring the 'cards' interface for odo/trip/tire pressure readings: yesterday, I was looking to find the start of a hiking trail with roadside parking. It's not on the car's map, so setting up a navigation pin isn't feasible. Directions to the trail are "Park roadside 7.6 miles after the junction with Copper Hill Road". In almost any other car, a visible odometer and simple addition or zeroing of a trip meter at the junction tells you when to pull over. But with V11, you can't see the odometer or trip meter unless the most of the screen is obscured by the 'Trip' display. Not great, not at all driver friendly.

Hopefully Tesla is listening to V11 feedback in this and other forums, and will be making usability improvements soon. A couple more observations from version 2021.44.30:
1. When there's no mobile reception, a 'no service' icon appears at the top of the screen, to the left of the passenger airbag icon. At least that's something useful, but bringing back the previous signal strength meter would be preferable.
2. Another reason for restoring the 'cards' interface for odo/trip/tire pressure readings: yesterday, I was looking to find the start of a hiking trail with roadside parking. It's not on the car's map, so setting up a navigation pin isn't feasible. Directions to the trail are "Park roadside 7.6 miles after the junction with Copper Hill Road". In almost any other car, a visible odometer and simple addition or zeroing of a trip meter at the junction tells you when to pull over. But with V11, you can't see the odometer or trip meter unless the most of the screen is obscured by the 'Trip' display. Not great, not at all driver friendly.
Yeah removal of the cards is puzzling but probably have to do with multi tasking in that area now since they move so much stuff to show there. I hope I am wrong and they can bring it back.

Reactions: SalisburySam
You sound confused to me. First the difficulties you had with the seat heaters and now you state the system forces you to look at the screen while merging lanes. Both statements made by you should be relocated to the “I’m confused with V11” thread.
At no point does he say he is nor sound confused (more that you are with the responses lol). The seat heaters were moved from the main screen where they interfered with nothing (that area is now blank so a pointless removal). The blind spot camera does forced you to look at the screen (should you choose to us that function) unless of course you have a severe squint or wall eye (maybe chameleon eyes?). Personally I tried it, disliked it so turned it off but then I’ve never had any blindspot warnings on any cars I’ve owned so don’t miss it anyway🤷🏼‍♂️.
Conclusion - no confusion just dislike of changes that had no reason to be made for the most part. They’re form over function changes which should never happen in a 2 ton rolling weapon, all changes should be function over form. No one should have to “relearn” where things are whilst moving at speed along an open road ….. it’s dangerous, pure & simple. Yes people could use voice commands but a lot don’t like them (never have) or just struggle with them for various reasons. Yes they could have bought another car too but then that wouldn’t be in Tesla’s best interest would it as it is a company devised to make money first & foremost. The more it sells, the more it makes so to exclude a vast proportion of the population by making things unusable (to them) makes no sense (in that respect). Would I have bought into the Tesla dream if I was aware that updates brought such swinging changes to a well functioning layout ….. It would certainly have given me pause for thought tbh. I’m not a technophobe by any means but I am an engineer first & foremost. If safety is compromised because a change in functionality makes things more difficult for the majority to use, then the change is a bad choice & should be rethought.

V11 is crap. The whole dam thing looks like an elderly person’s desktop computer.
If my first exposure to Tesla cars had included this new UI design, I would have been turned off and walked away, and not bought the car.
It’s ugly and cheap looking, like an old android phone. The Colored icons are in-decipherable and useless when moving, and convey nothing about the features and options in the car that are important to a driver and passenger.
The previous UI was attractive, polished, intuitive, driver/passenger oriented. It was a positive ’first impression’ exposure to the car that was pleasing, where you instantly know this automobile was well thought out.
Now I just look at it and think, WTF?
A passenger would never even know, now, the car has a heated seats option.
But now heated seat controls and defroster controls are gone, replaced by movies and games. F’ing stupid and a big turn-off.
Everything that matters is hidden, and Difficult to access.
A horizontal drive mode indicator is all wrong when the drive mode selector operates vertically. Had that right the first time.
The cruise control and autopilot engagement status are way too small. Important stuff in car.
What do you need a big green phone icon for, when a phone feature is most traditional and effectively controlled by voice command ?
Even the climate control temp number looks stupid just sitting there big and alone. Is that the cruise control or what..? Before, it was oriented with a fan icon and was quite obvious and intuitive.
Had snazzy little features like ‘cards’ for tire pressure, errant non-seatbelted passenger location and trip cards.
Toys and games are the forefront now, that don’t even work when moving!
Dashcam, Sentry….who would know that’s even included.

Last edited: