Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s apparent that the Problem with the v11 is that some people want some things immediately accessible and other people have different priorities (I couldn‘t care less about the w/s wiper button or access to tire pressure readings, others think those are critical, for example.)

My feeling on v11 is that they’re headed in exactly that direction, but haven’t taken it far enough yet. If we could all customize the entire bottom (and possibly the top) menus and icons, we’d all be happy. It FEELS like Tesla is headed in that direction, but haven’t completed the process yet, this is only the beginning.

At least that’s my hope.

Is there a way to remove the toy box from the bottom menu?
I wish more fundamental icons could be moved around than just games and other non-essentials
Press the three dots ... at the bottom of the screen in the widget area. Press the X on the Toy Box widget to remove the widget from the screen. Press and hold any widget you want to be on the screen, drag the desired widget down to the widget line at the bottom of the screen. Up to 4 widgets can reside on the bottom of the screen. You can reorder the widgets by dragging the widgets around.

My major problem is the loss of single tap and a move to two clicks to reach the same functionality. That is simply put "BAD U/X." There is plenty of empty spots both in the bottom and top bars. Also the smaller font is another blunder.

Tesla needs to hire a U/X expert and not leave the user interface design to 20 year olds. Seriously most people do not care about all the games and theater stuff. We care about quickly reaching the needed functionality when the car is in motion.

I think I am going to leave the MYP at 44.6 Wife's MYLR is on the new 44.25 but so far, she's not bothered by it. I guess it's because she didn't know where anything was before this update. :rolleyes:
Oh I am so glad my wife doesn't drive our Model Y... My friend's first impression of the car was to say "my Mom couldn't drive this". Fiddling around more than one click for basic things like wipers, defrost, separating music channels... a huge mistake.
I love the good new stuff like live sentry and blind spot cam, and I even plan on making my own custom light show sometime.. but they really changed far too much - and it's just not safe. If they could get rid of stupidity like "recently used" icons and let us put those things back where they've been would be nice. But they changed familiar icons. And they just don't seem to react to customer input at all on this stuff.
It's really disheartening and could be dangerous.

Press the three dots ... at the bottom of the screen in the widget area. Press the X on the Toy Box widget to remove the widget from the screen. Press and hold any widget you want to be on the screen, drag the desired widget down to the widget line at the bottom of the screen. Up to 4 widgets can reside on the bottom of the screen. You can reorder the widgets by dragging the widgets around.
None of the things that have been removed from the main screen has a widget. There is no widget for cell signal, or bluetooth connection status, or wifi connection status, or dashcam status, or wipers, or tire pressure, or trip odometers. I'm pretty sure that's what clyde meant by 'fundamental' - things that are closely related to the operation and status of the vehicle.

My major problem is the loss of single tap and a move to two clicks to reach the same functionality. That is simply put "BAD U/X." There is plenty of empty spots both in the bottom and top bars. Also the smaller font is another blunder.

Tesla needs to hire a U/X expert and not leave the user interface design to 20 year olds. Seriously most people do not care about all the games and theater stuff. We care about quickly reaching the needed functionality when the car is in motion.
Absolutely..

Reactions: sleepydoc and na5m
None of the things that have been removed from the main screen has a widget. There is no widget for cell signal, or bluetooth connection status, or wifi connection status, or dashcam status, or wipers, or tire pressure, or trip odometers. I'm pretty sure that's what clyde meant by 'fundamental' - things that are closely related to the operation and status of the vehicle.
Or more importantly: defrost and seat heater controls. These are by far the worst deletions for those of us in cold climates. Probably the bros at Tesla were like "uh, what are all these icons with wavy lines that we never use? Get 'em outta there!" 🙄

I drove today for half an hour in heavy rain to a party. My thoughts are that while the software update is a step backwards, it isn’t totally bad.

Don’t like the immediate one touch access is now necessarily a two touch process. Good knows WHY they had to do this.

What bugged me the most was the seat heater controls which have to be the most numb headed way to do them. Separate methods for front and rear passengers? What a bunch of fools.

They have removed easy access for all the functions necessary for use in a cold climate! Considering Norway has the most Teslas per capita in the world, this is a very odd choice!
1. Seat heating - I know there is an auto function, but my wife and I have very different preferences. She likes to be cooked by them, and I just like a little warmth. So, auto will be wrong for one of us.
2. Consumption cards - the range when driving around in sub freezing temperatures is so unpredictable. On long drives it is so important to know the consumption to have a better idea of the actual range. Bringing up the full page consumption data is not a good alternative!
3. Defrost - used constantly in the cold

The Tesla voice commands have always been the easiest way to access many of the Tesla vehicle functions. Learn a dozen or so of the voice commands and this will enhance the user experience as you interact with the Tesla vehicle.

Lock/Unlock Doors
Open Glove Box
Mirrors - Fold/Unfold Mirrors
Sentry Mode - Keep Tesla Safe / Keep Summer Safe (for Rick & Morty fans)
Charging - Open Charge Port (also Open Butt Hole)
Wipers - Wipers On/Off/Low/Medium/Hi/1/2/3/4/Auto; Faster/Slower/Max/Min
Tire Pressure
Climate Control - Open/Close Climate Controls
Climate Control - Recirculate (cabin air) / Fresh Air
Climate Control - I'm Cold/I'm Hot
Climate Control - Turn Off/On H VAC
Climate Control - Split/Sync/Unsync Climate Control
Climate Control - Keep Climate On / (Dog Mode?)
Climate Control - Increase/Decrease Temperature X Degrees
Climate Control - My Feet are Cold / Hot
Climate Control - Set Fan to X/Auto
Music - Play Artist/Album/Song/Radio Station
Navigation - Navigate to Work/Home/McDonald's/Airport; Go Home

V10.2 Tesla Voice Commands
Voice commands don't work well here in the boonies. Gotta have cell coverage and about 50% of my commute doesn't...

The Tesla voice commands have always been the easiest way to access many of the Tesla vehicle functions. Learn a dozen or so of the voice commands and this will enhance the user experience as you interact with the Tesla vehicle.

Lock/Unlock Doors
Open Glove Box
Mirrors - Fold/Unfold Mirrors
Sentry Mode - Keep Tesla Safe / Keep Summer Safe (for Rick & Morty fans)
Charging - Open Charge Port (also Open Butt Hole)
Wipers - Wipers On/Off/Low/Medium/Hi/1/2/3/4/Auto; Faster/Slower/Max/Min
Tire Pressure
Climate Control - Open/Close Climate Controls
Climate Control - Recirculate (cabin air) / Fresh Air
Climate Control - I'm Cold/I'm Hot
Climate Control - Turn Off/On H VAC
Climate Control - Split/Sync/Unsync Climate Control
Climate Control - Keep Climate On / (Dog Mode?)
Climate Control - Increase/Decrease Temperature X Degrees
Climate Control - My Feet are Cold / Hot
Climate Control - Set Fan to X/Auto
Music - Play Artist/Album/Song/Radio Station
Navigation - Navigate to Work/Home/McDonald's/Airport; Go Home

V10.2 Tesla Voice Commands

I really am liking the v11 updates. For charging you can just single click on the battery icon.

I love the multiple single click homelink buttons, will use that way more than trips/tire pressure.
How do I make the Homelink to appear in multiple places?
(My Homelink button only appears when I press the car button - a 2 step process.) Thanks.

Reactions: Falcon73
Only thing i hate is missing defrost controls on main screen and i have to go to AC controls to activate. Also blindspot camera preview should be on top of screen instead of bottom. It hides the red visualization.
They have removed easy access for all the functions necessary for use in a cold climate! Considering Norway has the most Teslas per capita in the world, this is a very odd choice!
1. Seat heating - I know there is an auto function, but my wife and I have very different preferences. She likes to be cooked by them, and I just like a little warmth. So, auto will be wrong for one of us.
2. Consumption cards - the range when driving around in sub freezing temperatures is so unpredictable. On long drives it is so important to know the consumption to have a better idea of the actual range. Bringing up the full page consumption data is not a good alternative!
3. Defrost - used constantly in the cold
I agree with this. Fiddling with a menu on a winding mountain with very cold conditions. Tesla engineers must be made to test their proposed features in extreme conditions, only then, it may dawn on them.

Only thing i hate is missing defrost controls on main screen and i have to go to AC controls to activate. Also blindspot camera preview should be on top of screen instead of bottom. It hides the red visualization.
just took a drive to see if maybe I can get over some of the shortcomings of the new UI and the blindspot camera is absolutely useless because the resolution/ contrast of the camera or image with the blinker on practically blinds you from seeing anything it's pretty rediculous.

Feels like the lead UI designer for tesla quit to work at apple and tesla hired a jr designer from blackberry to eff up the new UI.

just took a drive to see if maybe I can get over some of the shortcomings of the new UI and the blindspot camera is absolutely useless because the resolution/ contrast of the camera or image with the blinker on practically blinds you from seeing anything it's pretty rediculous.

Feels like the lead UI designer for tesla quit to work at apple and tesla hired a jr designer from blackberry to eff up the new UI.
The icons do seem to be from the mid 2000s.