Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The main thing I learned from this update is never, ever, ever download an update right before you go on a long road trip. You will loose your mind trying to figure everything out while driving in the dark, with limited visibility. I saw the notice of the update and thought it would be typical, maybe a new feature or two and bug fixes. I NEVER expected the UI would change as much as it did. WOW! Lesson learned the hard way. I wish you could see the details of the update before you download the update so you could make a more informed decision about downloading at that time or waiting.

I wish you could see the details of the update before you download the update so you could make a more informed decision about downloading at that time or waiting.
In this case you could -- the change went to the refreshed (horizontal) Model S in the summer -- but I'm sure most people that hadn't been following V11 development thought it would be a minor update. In any case we're in good company because there's a stream of complaints coming from the Legacy Model S contingent who also just got the V11 release. Apparently it's even worse on a portrait touchscreen. Perhaps tall screens explain why so much space is wasted.

Reactions: OxBrew
I have no issue with the UI. I drove the car - looked for everything and its intuitively reachable with 2 touches. They had to clean up the real estate on the old UI - Its all about change and accepting it. I remember when Apple removed the home button - people lost their minds. Also - was it iOS 11 or 12 people flipped out on? All a distant memory. You too shall embrace Elon and his dev teams way :). I do trust there is a method to their dev roadmap.

No, not at all.
Here’s a great example. I picked up a coworker who’d never been in a Tesla before. Within moments they said NICE, and selected a comfy heated seat for themselves. First time my daughter sat in the car, same thing. Me too for that matter.
Now they’d never even know the car had heated seats. That’s stupid.
Agreed, and I’ve noted that some tweaks are needed, but it’s a big leap from that to some of the hand waving “the update is terrible .. the world has ended!!” invective of some posts here.

I agree with much of the criticism of the new update, but I wanted to offer everyone some potential comfort. I stopped by my local service center (Littleton, CO) because I was having an issue and was in the area. I spoke to two different service managers and unloaded a lot of frustration on them regarding the update. They were both aware of all the complaints I raised and said there will likely be an update in about a month addressing many of these. I told them I didn't see any place on the website to submit a complaint/feedback and asked how they (the UI/software team) knew about our complaints...

He said they scour social media and document/categorize all the complaints and suggestions. That includes Twitter, Facebook, TESLA MOTORS CLUB! and other forums. He said they try new things, and sometimes they mess up, they listen to feedback, and try to improve. This is not in any way excusing this latest update. I for one wish I hadn't installed the update. I just wanted to let you all know that even though they're not responding, Tesla is (supposedly) reading these threads and listening to our feedback, and hopefully things will improve. Don't kill the messenger...just relaying what I was told. :)

I agree with much of the criticism of the new update, but I wanted to offer everyone some potential comfort. I stopped by my local service center (Littleton, CO) because I was having an issue and was in the area. I spoke to two different service managers and unloaded a lot of frustration on them regarding the update. They were both aware of all the complaints I raised and said there will likely be an update in about a month addressing many of these. I told them I didn't see any place on the website to submit a complaint/feedback and asked how they (the UI/software team) knew about our complaints...

He said they scour social media and document/categorize all the complaints and suggestions. That includes Twitter, Facebook, TESLA MOTORS CLUB! and other forums. He said they try new things, and sometimes they mess up, they listen to feedback, and try to improve. This is not in any way excusing this latest update. I for one wish I hadn't installed the update. I just wanted to let you all know that even though they're not responding, Tesla is (supposedly) reading these threads and listening to our feedback, and hopefully things will improve. Don't kill the messenger...just relaying what I was told. :)
1 month is 29 days overdue

I'm going to wait a few weeks before deciding what changes I like and which are awful. Like today I found out you could enable the "auto" feature for heated seats so heat comes on based on the interior temperature. Don't know how well it will work though.

I didn't read thru the entire thread but wondered if others are having the passenger vent on when there is no passenger in the front seat? Ideally you should be able to disable passenger vents but that request is years old/ Sometimes my MY will disable the passenger vent with the seat is empty and sometimes it won't.

I agree with most of the above comments. Owned our M3 for 3.5 years and this is the worst update yet. In addition to the prior comments:
- I like to track the Wh/mile number as I drive - now I lose the map if I want to do that.
- My wife likes to just be able to touch the seat icon to turn on her seat heater.
- I like to have an icon for windshield and rear window defrost.
- Unsafe since my older eyes require me to take my eyes off the road more often.
- Quick sweep to see tire pressure readings is a lot easier.
- PLUS - my UI died on me! I use the pin-to-drive feature so the only way to start the car is to use the app Start feature since I can't access the pin pad. And that only works once every 6 to 8 attempts. The car is now in the Service Center and the tech has no idea what is wrong. I assume the release has a bug somewhere??
The only feature that I like is the blind spot video and that would be better placed if higher on the screen. Where was the UI quality lead when this release went through alpha test?

It appears I've lost the controls I easily used which are now hidden in sub-menus and lost the cards that displayed below the car graphic completely.

Realizing change is sometimes difficult it is especially so when the change seems to be a step backward.

The light show and all the games are kind of silly and have no value but if I don't want, I don't have to use them.

Having the cards with the odometer and trip info, tire pressure info right below the car graphic was a nice touch.

I see reference to "Simplified Controls" along with a graphic depicting same. I can't locate it so how simple is it.

Now I have to go to Controls>Trips
Controls>Service for tire pressure
Controls>Charging

And so on.

Going from one button to 2 buttons to accomplish the same thing seems to be an odd solution for a moving vehicle And where the heck is Simplified Controls?

All the time and money wasted on silly games and a light show and then to make the interface worse (my opinion) is just awful.

Would be nice if I could uninstall this Christmas Update and take a step backward.

So much for that. Happy Holidays everybody!
I agree 100%. All of the features I used to use voice control like show tire pressure and show odometer no longer work and all of the new game features are superfluous for me I,too, find most of the features I used before require two steps which can be dangerous if driving. If there’s a way to go back to the previous version I would like to hear how. I would especially like to use voice commands and would like to know well then no longer work for the issues I have mentioned

• Funny
Reactions: Vin_L
Thanks I did find it. It was right in front of me haha. Now where is the sentry viewer
You have to tap the icon with the three dots . . . at the bottom of the screen, this opens the widget folder. Press and hold, then drag any widget you want to the bottom row of the screen. The widget will be pinned in place (up to 4 widgets.) Tap the X next to any widget to return the widget to the folder. Press and hold, then drag to reorder the widgets on the screen.The Dashcam/Sentry Mode viewer is the widget with the big red dot surrounded by a border. In addition to the 4 pinned widgets the most recently used widgets will be displayed on the bottom row of the screen.

So, I just tried it out today.......and I don't thinks it's as bad as some posters had led me to believe. Except for burying the defroster/defogger, and the trip odometer, it's not that bad. I don't like the way it's easier to access games and toys (through the "customizable" bar on the main screen) than it is to access things useful to driving, such as defrosting windows or accessing the trip odometer. If it was truly customizable, that would be great, but it's mostly customizable for entertainment. I'm not wild about the smaller, thinner font, but I know I'll get used to it.

I haven't found many benefits to it (so far) but not too many faults either. But here's one thing I don't like that maybe someone else had found out how to access: Is there a way to find the speed of charging, in kWh? If the charging speed is, or becomes, too slow, I will sometimes move on and charge later, particularly since the Supercharger costs are split at 60 kWh speed (one price below 60kWh, double that price above 60kWh). If I'm only getting 72kWh but I'm paying the higher price, I will sometimes choose to unhook at that point.

So, I just tried it out today.......and I don't thinks it's as bad as some posters had led me to believe. Except for burying the defroster/defogger, and the trip odometer, it's not that bad. I don't like the way it's easier to access games and toys (through the "customizable" bar on the main screen) than it is to access things useful to driving, such as defrosting windows or accessing the trip odometer. If it was truly customizable, that would be great, but it's mostly customizable for entertainment. I'm not wild about the smaller, thinner font, but I know I'll get used to it.

I haven't found many benefits to it (so far) but not too many faults either. But here's one thing I don't like that maybe someone else had found out how to access: Is there a way to find the speed of charging, in kWh? If the charging speed is, or becomes, too slow, I will sometimes move on and charge later, particularly since the Supercharger costs are split at 60 kWh speed (one price below 60kWh, double that price above 60kWh). If I'm only getting 72kWh but I'm paying the higher price, I will sometimes choose to unhook at that point.
Agreed. More a sideways step than a step back. Hopefully Tesla will realize that people want quick access widgets to all features and they will put in seat heater and defrost options, not just toys/tech widgets.