Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, but other than that...
We get some guy that makes a video telling us,
”you actually don’t want a button that’s super easy to access…”
”it does a much better job than you could…”
and justifies every change with the phrase “usually….”
And best of all, when he demonstrates how “easy“ it is now to access the defroster, he misses with the first swipe,makes a second swipe, then selects a button….all while he’s sitting stationary. HA. Imagine how that would have worked if the was actually moving, trying to drive the car. Yeah that looked easy…..jeez, freaking STUPID
who says I or my passenger want seat heat automatically or what’s comfortable for anyone else ?

and he so eloquently shows us how we have to flash our high beams at everyone to get the quick menu for lights or have to run your wipers on dry windshield to get a wiper quick menu, that supposed to be a replacement for one touch control?
Think about that.

It’s all ugly and devoid of any element of engagement, or user attraction. Large detailed impressive graphic of the charge screen has been replaced with small unimpressive graphic. Even a degree symbol for temp is gone.

smells like indoctrination into the concept we all must give up choice and freedom in a society controlled by someone else's idea of what’s best for others ….Communist / Marxist directives at their finest.
I’m not OK with that.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Jimt29
If he was only there < 1 year, it's hard to believe he alone is responsible for the current UI debacle. Perhaps he never had any real control over the final product. At any large company like this there are lots of entrenched interests and power bases that work against a newcomer. Perhaps he left due to frustration with the direction of the UI and the inability to change it due to politics or other internal issues. We'll never really know, all we know is that the current UI is not good. Tesla mgmt is to blame for not insisting on better testing, getting broader outside feedback, and putting too many chefs in the design kitchen - the overall design lacks a cohesive theme or strong style guide.
Maybe version 11 is why he left

I guess I am in the minority here. Or maybe it is just a loud minority on here. I like the changes. I like the look of it, and it isn't close. I like that the seat heaters aren't right next to the fan adjustments anymore, I would always fat finger those. I like that I can customize the "tool bar". I Love the blind spot cameras on the turn signals. And I'm not sure why more people don't seem to be using voice commands for almost all this stuff anyway? Click a button and talk to your car! That is the genius of all of this. We don't need tons of buttons in our cars anymore.

I guess I am in the minority here. Or maybe it is just a loud minority on here. I like the changes. I like the look of it, and it isn't close. I like that the seat heaters aren't right next to the fan adjustments anymore, I would always fat finger those. I like that I can customize the "tool bar". I Love the blind spot cameras on the turn signals. And I'm not sure why more people don't seem to be using voice commands for almost all this stuff anyway? Click a button and talk to your car! That is the genius of all of this. We don't need tons of buttons in our cars anymore.
“We” don’t? You speak for everyone? Version 11 is awkward at best, and dangerous at worst.

Or he did, and the resultant commentary is why he's not still there.
Yes, it's hard to say - maybe he's just a scapegoat. One has to wonder, though. An engineer from Facebook comes to Tesla, then gets put in charge of the UI, then leaves a short time later. It would seem that he was in the wrong position.

Yes, Elon is right. the car should do it right. But here we are with someone making a hack to fix it...

Last edited:
... I would always fat finger those. ... I'm not sure why more people don't seem to be using voice commands for almost all this stuff anyway?
Fat fingering. The essential problem with small touch controls.

I'm sure if Tesla would provide a list of voice commands we'd all be happier. There's also a persistent assertion that voice commands require a network connection. If that's the case Tesla should also make that clear pre-sales.

I've only had about 3 hours with the V11 UI, including about 2 hours of driving with it, but so far I would say I do like it. I don't know if I can argue it's an improvement over V10 (most likely not, based on this thread), but I haven't found anything to really bother me so far and feel fine with most of the changes. This may still change as I drive with V11 more, but I think I've tried using a lot of the functions in their new locations and haven't found them to be an issue.

But since this is a negative thread about V11, I will put down a few things I hope would be improved:

-Allow us to drag the music window to the middle position instead of having to push the "list" button to do so. Hopefully they add this back. I really like the new preview list under Bluetooth app, if they could let us get to that just by dragging the window it would be nice.

-Bring back the calendar display at the beginning of the day function. Unless I'm missing a setting somewhere. I always enjoyed getting in the car for the first time each day and seeing the calendar already displayed.

-Move the blind-spot camera to the map side and blow it up. I actually find it kind of functional as-is right now (I've always considered this a "better than nothing" type of solution), since my camera doesn't get washed out by the blinkers at night, but moving the image to the map side and either move it up or blow it up would be a better location in my opinion. I don't think moving it above the car visualization would be a good idea because it would either have to be a smaller image or be sloppily superimposed above all the other items up top.

I don't know man, I sense a lot of vitriol over V11, but I'm still loving the car as much as ever.

I and many others have said it before, and I'll say it again.

VOICE COMMANDS ARE NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR A GOOD INTERFACE!

I'm glad you like the interface and I don't begrudge you for it but I hate it as do many others. I'm not a fan of the looks, but that's really secondary. I'm incredibly annoyed and frustrated by the huge step backwards Tesla made in usability.

Aside from accessing games name one thing that the interface makes easier. I've learned to use it but I still long for V10 every time I get in my car. The fact that the most common answer to complaints is "you can use voice commands" speaks volumes. An interface shouldn't force you into using voice commands. If it does it's a failure.

Edit - I thought of two things that are easier: adding waypoints, which you couldn't do before, and the homelink location is slightly easier. (although they otherwise removed it from the screen so that part is harder)

I don't know man, I sense a lot of vitriol over V11, but I'm still loving the car as much as ever.
I still love my car. It's just less enjoyable to drive. If I didn't have V10 as a comparison it probably wouldn't be so bad.

But I have my opinion. I only speak for me. Should I put that disclaimer in each post?
So to use your “logic” you should have not said “You speak for everyone?”
9BC946A5-7CEB-4254-9C7A-50E0EF6C91DD.jpeg