Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh man… it’s everyone’s opinion here… this is probably about the time to call it quits on this thread… enjoy your car and hope for the features you’re wanting in a future update. Stop with the generalized comments that “everyone here dislikes it” or whatever because there’s another thread of a lot of people who enjoy v11 too. And so what… you’re allowed to disagree, perfectly fine… so many options out there to get something else or whatever will make you happy. This went from trying to be helpful and show some ways that maybe could help “deal with” a UI that some (SOME) clearly don’t like to a pissing match about personal preferences. Let’s go to that cliche place… focus on being part of the solution, not just a complainer… I know I know… “how do you suggest we do that?!” Maybe time to focus the energy on figuring that out instead of arguing about where you prefer your seat warmer ON A TOUCH SCREEN… Hey Elon, GET RID OF THE SEAT WARMERS! IT’S TOO MUCH TO HANDLE!!! GO FULL GM ON EVERYONE AND JUST PULL IT ALTOGETHER AND DELETE IT FROM THE SCREEN!

For those in Literalville… just kidding around fellas… enjoy the most amazing technology on the market today… it’s lightyears ahead of the competition (uh oh…TRIGGER!), put it in autopilot, and let Tesla take the wheel, it will help you relax and not worry about all this archaic nonsense… automation is the future, you’re losing control… let it go….just let it go….

Oh man… it’s everyone’s opinion here… this is probably about the time to call it quits on this thread… enjoy your car and hope for the features you’re wanting in a future update. Stop with the generalized comments that “everyone here dislikes it” or whatever because there’s another thread of a lot of people who enjoy v11 too. And so what… you’re allowed to disagree, perfectly fine… so many options out there to get something else or whatever will make you happy. This went from trying to be helpful and show some ways that maybe could help “deal with” a UI that some (SOME) clearly don’t like to a pissing match about personal preferences. Let’s go to that cliche place… focus on being part of the solution, not just a complainer… I know I know… “how do you suggest we do that?!” Maybe time to focus the energy on figuring that out instead of arguing about where you prefer your seat warmer ON A TOUCH SCREEN… Hey Elon, GET RID OF THE SEAT WARMERS! IT’S TOO MUCH TO HANDLE!!! GO FULL GM ON EVERYONE AND JUST PULL IT ALTOGETHER AND DELETE IT FROM THE SCREEN!

For those in Literalville… just kidding around fellas… enjoy the most amazing technology on the market today… it’s lightyears ahead of the competition (uh oh…TRIGGER!), put it in autopilot, and let Tesla take the wheel, it will help you relax and not worry about all this archaic nonsense… automation is the future, you’re losing control… let it go….just let it go….
No FSD in UK lol. As for using it, bloody hell I struggle using TACC …..certainly overide it a lot. Autowipers ….. overide them too ……politicians & Elon may want autonomous traffic but they have a long way to go lol🤣

Reactions: sleepydoc
I guess I am in the minority here. Or maybe it is just a loud minority on here. I like the changes. I like the look of it, and it isn't close. I like that the seat heaters aren't right next to the fan adjustments anymore, I would always fat finger those. I like that I can customize the "tool bar". I Love the blind spot cameras on the turn signals. And I'm not sure why more people don't seem to be using voice commands for almost all this stuff anyway? Click a button and talk to your car! That is the genius of all of this. We don't need tons of buttons in our cars anymore.

Fat fingering. The essential problem with small touch controls.

I'm sure if Tesla would provide a list of voice commands we'd all be happier. There's also a persistent assertion that voice commands require a network connection. If that's the case Tesla should also make that clear pre-sales.

The problems with voice commands is they interrup the music playing, me talking, the conversations going on….
Its no substitute for effortlessly lifting a finger and touching a button that was there.

Reactions: iluvmacs
Haha, true but gotta start somewhere. Growing pains?
Just don’t like it (not as bad as VW’s though). I don’t think it can cope with UK drivers pushing into non existent (according to recorded safe distance) gaps. I see no reason to cause a car behind me to panic just because someone pushes in front of me (or a ghost truck is seen). A simple backing off the throttle would usually suffice, no brakes required.

Reactions: Tezlowski
The problems with voice commands is they interrup the music playing, me talking, the conversations going on….
Its no substitute for effortlessly lifting a finger and touching a button that was there.
I could say those aren't the problems with voice commands but that sounds a bit confrontational so I'll mentally add that those specific issues are in your opinion i.e. various people have various issues with the mechanics of Voice Commands.

Everyone that wants to use Voice Commands will have problems with the lack of documentation for the full command set and the periodic changes to existing commands.

I also noted the fat-fingering issue. In my case none of the on-screen buttons is large enough for me to hit in a moving vehicle on my typical roadways without becoming a distracted driver. Other than swiping from an edge toward the center it's certainly not effortless for me.

I guess I am in the minority here. Or maybe it is just a loud minority on here. I like the changes. I like the look of it, and it isn't close. I like that the seat heaters aren't right next to the fan adjustments anymore, I would always fat finger those. I like that I can customize the "tool bar". I Love the blind spot cameras on the turn signals. And I'm not sure why more people don't seem to be using voice commands for almost all this stuff anyway? Click a button and talk to your car! That is the genius of all of this. We don't need tons of buttons in our cars anymore.
Voice command literally never work correctly. I only use them to text my wife, all other contacts and functions do nothing or the wrong thing.

"Set wipers to 3" turned the defrost on high the other day.

No freaking way am I sitting in the drive way de bugging and memorizing random commands.

You should try “open your butthole” works every time.
I thought you were being a smartass then I remembered that actually is a voice command! SMH

To reiterate, the problems with voice commands are:
  • They don't work well if you have an accent
  • They work even less well if you don't speak English
  • They don’t work if you don’t have a cell signal
  • They don't work if there's a lot of background noise (like the defroster being on or being in a rain storm)
  • They aren't the best if you have someone sleeping in the car
  • They interrupt whatever music or podcast you're listening to
  • They can't be used at all if you're on a phone conversation
  • There's no published list of voice commands
  • You have to use the correct term or phrase. Similar phrases that aren't in the library don't work
  • The list of commands changes depending on the version of the operating system
  • Not infrequently they don't work even if you use the correct phrase in English with no accent and no background noise.
Other than that they work perfectly...

So again, Voice commands are a nice supplement but are not a replacement for a good UI and saying "you don need xxx, you can just use voice commands!" isn't a solution and is just making excuses for Tesla's lack of proper UI design.

Last edited:
I also noted the fat-fingering issue. In my case none of the on-screen buttons is large enough for me to hit in a moving vehicle on my typical roadways without becoming a distracted driver. Other than swiping from an edge toward the center it's certainly not effortless for me.
That’s actually another reason the current UI is so bad. They took items that were at the edge of the screen where they were easier to find and you could easily brace your hand on the edge of the screen and moved them to the middle of the screen. If car movement was an issue on the edge it’s going to be even more of an issue in the middle.

Your complaint does point out a problem with a touch-based UI vs physical buttons and switches: The ‘buttons’ need to be big enough that you can accurately hit them in a moving car without significant concentration. If they are too small or too close together they become difficult to use. Others have also complained about the switch to sliders for the same reason.

There is a very easy to use screen for commands also.
No, it's not easy. Just did a 250 mile trip in -20C weather, and it isn't easy to use. Just about everything I wanted to access required multiple taps, in small, precise locations, and all required I take my attention off the road to do so: Switching between views on the Nav screen, accessing seat heaters and defrost, resetting the trip odometer were all things I wanted to do while driving today, and they were definitely not easy - they were annoying. And they still haven't made it easy to answer or hang up a call -- there's no reason those functions shouldn't be available on the steering wheel!

Drove 300+ miles today with a trailer and the TACC was very much improved. A couple light phantom slow downs but only dropped 5 mph and not extremely aggressively so. I think I know what triggered them and all of them were on a 2 lane highway at dawn which has historically been prone to this.

Very happy with this update so far!
30.7 installed though I’m never in cold weather so I won’t know if it actually fixed anything.

Loving this car!

FYI: towing at 70mph I averaged between 420-455wh/mi (harbor freight 4x8 trailer with a dirt bike). At 57mph, I was just shy of 300wh per mile. I super charged perpendicular taking up a few spots at a charging location that is rarely used in the early morning. Then slow charged at a brewery on the way home while I had a drink and dinner.

And even if the driver has slight hand tremours (like I do).
It would be nice if Tesla had an ‘accessibility mode,’ not unlike what you can do with your computer or smartphone that had slightly larger fonts, ’buttons,’ etc. It wouldn’t need to be as advanced or drastic, since you don’t need to ‘accommodate’ someone who’s impairment precludes them from driving, but there are plenty of people that have things like essential tremor, shoulder problems, or just ‘old eyes‘ making the interface difficult to use. Some minor tweaks could help tremendously.

One of my pet peeves is the bar on the top that shows charging/discharging and dots when the regenerative braking is reduced is dark gray with a light gray background making it virtually impossible to see. Who thought of that? Granted it’s not a critical display, but if you’re going to put it up, at least make it visible.

Drove 300+ miles today with a trailer and the TACC was very much improved. A couple light phantom slow downs but only dropped 5 mph and not extremely aggressively so. I think I know what triggered them and all of them were on a 2 lane highway at dawn which has historically been prone to this.

Very happy with this update so far!
30.7 installed though I’m never in cold weather so I won’t know if it actually fixed anything.

Loving this car!

FYI: towing at 70mph I averaged between 420-455wh/mi (harbor freight 4x8 trailer with a dirt bike). At 57mph, I was just shy of 300wh per mile. I super charged perpendicular taking up a few spots at a charging location that is rarely used in the early morning. Then slow charged at a brewery on the way home while I had a drink and dinner.
That’s actually pretty good efficiency for towing. I’m probably getting something like that just driving in the winter. I used to have the trip odometer card up so I could easily see my Wh/mi but I can’t do that anymore.

Overall, I’ve seen steady, incremental improvements with FSD. The UI sucks, but V11 continued the FSD and TACC improvements, so at least we got something with it. :/

It would be nice if Tesla had an ‘accessibility mode,’ not unlike what you can do with your computer or smartphone that had slightly larger fonts, ’buttons,’ etc. It wouldn’t need to be as advanced or drastic, since you don’t need to ‘accommodate’ someone who’s impairment precludes them from driving, but there are plenty of people that have things like essential tremor, shoulder problems, or just ‘old eyes‘ making the interface difficult to use. Some minor tweaks could help tremendously.

One of my pet peeves is the bar on the top that shows charging/discharging and dots when the regenerative braking is reduced is dark gray with a light gray background making it virtually impossible to see. Who thought of that? Granted it’s not a critical display, but if you’re going to put it up, at least make it visible.
I think you bring up a good point but may need to consider the laws across 50 states regarding the requirements by each respective DMV to have a driver’s license. Certain vision requirements, etc. need to be satisfied first of course, but there is likely some options they could add from an accessibility standpoint that wouldn’t cross those lines.

Right, definitely not a critical display, I think the regen line is only there more as an FYI… turns green when actually regenerating the battery but gray when you’re accelerating/not regenerating so it’s less distracting to the driver.