Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holy crap Tidal makes the audio system come ALIVE.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you sure about this? As far as I’m aware there are only two ways to get external music into the Tesla system: USB and Bluetooth. There has never been a WiFi path. Wish there was!
No, you are correct. USB is the only way to get lossless into the cars audio system, plus (now) Tidal, though my understanding is its a 'batch" model, you download via Wifi into the car and then play locally from the cars storage. No doubt this was done to avoid overloading the call network used by the car when on the move. Probably what @EVNow meant was that he could use his phone as a WiFi hotspot to do the Tidal download whenever he wanted.

Tidal has by far made me appreciate the audio system a whole lot more. So much more depth to the sound. Also I can get HiFi over premium connectivity without any buffering or lag issues. Buffers for a few seconds before each song but plays flawlessly.
If you are getting hifi while using the premium connectivity then the song was previously downloaded on a prior listen. I don't get hifi over the car LTE.

LOL - audiophile and you listen to music in your car? :)

I guess the best sound, with no extra cost and no risk of dropouts etc, will come from my USB stick full of FLAC files ripped straight from my CDs! But I haven't discovered whether the car supports any kind of playlist formats for those...
But don't your CDs get boring? That's one reason I never bothered, the last thing I want to hear when I'm out and about were the same CDs I had at home. Even in the early days of the iPod I never bothered with my own CDs but looked to other sources like music podcasts. The last time I used my CD player was only to test out the new DAC that I had and how it would sound with them. I played one or two, left it connected to the DAC, but then switched back to the streaming input and haven't used it again in more than a year. I'm much more likely to pull out an LP than a CD since all of the CDs are available on streaming anyway, usually in a hi-res, better than CD, format. And this is what I want in my car, endless streaming in hi-res.

LOL - audiophile and you listen to music in your car? :)

I guess the best sound, with no extra cost and no risk of dropouts etc, will come from my USB stick full of FLAC files ripped straight from my CDs! But I haven't discovered whether the car supports any kind of playlist formats for those...
What’s a CD ?
But don't your CDs get boring?
To an extent. But more importantly as you say most CDs are available online. Also, even if you have thousands of CDs, it’s a tiny % of what’s available to stream. But the challenge would be in getting the hires bits to Tesla on demand. I’ve seen reports of Tidal buffering a lot even with a hotspot … have to check it out now that it’s available with FSD beta 10.8.

• Funny
Reactions: DelPhonic1
Wow, well I’ve subscribed and I must say; there’s clearly a difference especially now with the tunable subwoofer; the music is crisp, clear, whole new appreciation for the sound system.. had a few passengers that were just blown away..

Kind of wish I knew to just use USB but I moved over to Apple Music so long ago who has the time to download music..

Hope Tesla gives us Apple Music; I’m heavily invested in the eco system and all my playlists; not sure if I love Tidal so much to keep paying after these 3 months but you never know..

Also to take advantage of Hifi as others have said “on the move” just create a Wi-Fi Hotspot with your phone, every song I’ve played at least once on Wifi now has Hifi logo and new songs that I play on LTE will NOT have the Hifi logo and definitely sounds like it. Not sure what the limit is but all of the songs I played previously on hotspot retained HiFi even on LTE..

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
every song I’ve played at least once on Wifi now has Hifi logo and new songs that I play on LTE will NOT have the Hifi logo and definitely sounds like it. Not sure what the limit is but all of the songs I played previously on hotspot retained HiFi even on LTE..
I have noticed the same. Somewhere some memory is filling up with every song I've ever played on HiFi, even if I only played a few seconds of the song. Pretty nice, and greatly reduces the burden of downloading ahead of time.

It turns out I must be even less than an audiophile than I thought I was. I cannot hear a difference. I have the same song downloaded in HIFI on Tidal, vs. playing over bluetooth with Apple Music and... maybe it's a little different? I have switched back and forth and I think the tone is somehow different but it's hard for me to say that one sounds objectively better than the other.

The good news is I won't have to pay for Tidal once the trial runs out!

Reactions: rjpjnk
Just the hifi plan. Hifi Plus gives you MQA, which the car doesn't support so it is a waste of money unless you also plan on using it at home. MQA was designed to deliver hi-res sound without needing the bandwidth, but here we are with Tesla's limited bandwidth over LTE and MQA wasn't included anyway.
MQA is legitimately a downgrade and a scam, avoid it. I'm still mad at how it's also screwing with the lower quality options on Tidal as well. It does not improve the quality, it lowers it by actually making it lossy (yes, despite their advertisements to the contrary), adding noise to the songs, and faking extra bit depth by just upscaling the original CD versions that were already there.

It's snake oil that actually makes things worse, and they actually expect people to pay for it. And it taints every song on Tidal that has an MQA version, even if you listen to the lower, supposedly non-mqa quality versions.

• Love
Reactions: kishkaru
MQA is legitimately a downgrade and a scam, avoid it. I'm still mad at how it's also screwing with the lower quality options on Tidal as well. It does not improve the quality, it lowers it by actually making it lossy (yes, despite their advertisements to the contrary), adding noise to the songs, and faking extra bit depth by just upscaling the original CD versions that were already there.

It's snake oil that actually makes things worse, and they actually expect people to pay for it. And it taints every song on Tidal that has an MQA version, even if you listen to the lower, supposedly non-mqa quality versions.
And that's why I dropped Tidal at home in favor of Qobuz.

1640954373121.png

Reactions: kishkaru and rjpjnk
LOL - audiophile and you use lossy ? ;)

No - you don't use BT - you use phone's wi-fi to stream decent quality Tidal music. So, not lossy.

I wish they would make an app for Amazon Music. Better coverage than Tidal and truly HiRes music too (though not useful in Tesla).

Once FSD Beta gets ported to 40.6 I will try Tidal. Already have Youtube Premium and Amazon HD Music ....

ps : BTW, there is a new BlueTooth codec - LDAC that android supports. Probably not Tesla.

Sony makes two major claims about LDAC. First, that its 990kbps top speed can maintain the maximum bit depth and frequency of 24-bit/96kHz Hi-Res audio files. Secondly, that the codec can transmit 16-bit/44.1kHz CD quality files completely untouched.​

So how do you know Tesla and the app are actually streaming this format and kbps? Is there a real-time debug mode that shows it or your 12yr old ears that can hear 20khz able to decipher?!?!

Nobody here can determine and know the difference between 320 kbps mp3 and 1192 kbps flac at our age. Not even on a reference system. You might be able to discern some difference over regular crappy Spotify that is easy even at 50+yrs old to determine. The wind noise will bleed over into the sound ranges people claim Tidal is streaming while you whip down the road and let’s not talk about how 20-50hz is muffled out entirely by the car as you drove. Stop the car and magically you can now discern and hear the actual bass of the music. Otherwise it too is drowned outside.

The entire concept of high quality in any car is a joke compared to a proper loudspeaker and reference setup in a home or studio.

We can debate all day about sound and audio. The basics are for sound quality:

1) Recording studio live.
2) Live performance at a quality theatre or performing arts center.
3) High end listening/auditioning room with loudspeakers and quality amp using high quality sources.
………

10) your crappy car and streaming and everything else way down the list.

😄

Last edited:
Reactions: ‘Merica
So how do you know Tesla and the app are actually streaming this format and kbps? Is there a real-time debug mode that shows it or your 12yr old ears that can hear 20khz able to decipher?!?!

Nobody here can determine and know the difference between 320 kbps mp3 and 1192 kbps flac at our age. Not even on a reference system.
It's not quite that simple, and not just high frequencies that are lost. Mp3 is more complex than a simple low pass filter. The discarded audio information can appear throughout the entire spectrum.

Mp3 is a perceptual coder based on models of human hearing, and attempts to hide the losses (distortions) in places where it is less likely to be noticed by the listener. This is not just high frequencies, but also instantaneous dynamic range, complex or loud passages, or transients already present in the recording. For example, our ears are less sensitive to low volume sounds when high volume sounds are also present, so we might discard the quiet undertones and save bits.

I can only hear up to 12kHz and can still tell that 320 kbps mp3 sounds different than lossless (44/16), though I admit I have not been able to hear a difference using Tidal in my car as of yet.