Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charge Points Discussion and Suggestions [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The unit itself from hypervolt is £679. I will pay around 100 quid more and the rest by the grant.
The fitter may be getting 200 an hour, but not by me.
The £350 grant is YOUR money, you paid it is taxes and the G/ment is giving it back to YOU as an incentive to install and EV - the install hasn't cost you £100 it's cost you £450

I understand how the grants work, yes I pay tax, this also pays for bus lanes I will never use, it pays for HS2 that I will never use etc etc etc. I'm saying I don't have to fork out any more money to the installer, who incidentally has probably already done an hour or so with all the pre planning and form filling so I'm not bothered what he gets.

Reactions: Campi
I have lived and worked in other countries and apart from seeing how things are done differently elsewhere it also spotlights the cultural differences. We are courteous and polite to the ridiculous extreme. In other countries when an artisan comes to quote for a job they walk in the door with a copy of their qualifications and insurance and their quote comes with a justification of what they are doing and why they are charging what they are charging. In this country (our culture) we are too polite to ask if they are qualified let alone for proof of their qualifications and insurance and we wouldn’t dare ask them to itemise/justify why they are charging £xxx.

A ‘qualified’ electrician is a 3 year apprenticeship (longer than a bricklayer, shorter than and electrical/mechanical engineer, the same time as nurse). Nurses get paid about £650 a week. The reason the electrician coming to your house is earning 3 or 4 times more than the nurse is because you are too polite to ask him to justify why he is charging you £400/£500/£600 a day.

A ‘qualified’ electrician is a 3 year apprenticeship (longer than a bricklayer, shorter than and electrical/mechanical engineer, the same time as nurse). Nurses get paid about £650 a week. The reason the electrician coming to your house is earning 3 or 4 times more than the nurse is because you are too polite to ask him to justify why he is charging you £400/£500/£600 a day.
There is a fundamental difference between a wage of X and being charged Y by a tradesman to provide a service. The tradesman's charge is not his wage - you need to account for the cost of doing business. You might be charged £600 but that isn't what the tradesman gets as a wage.

Reactions: Js1977 and Adopado
I have just had my first visit from an installer and it didn't go well . . . . .
We've lived in this house for 40 years. We had it completely rewired 30 years back all in line with the then current regulations. For some reason my incoming water pipe does not have am 'earth bonding' wire attached to it. The installer will not install anything unless I pay for a my water pipe to be earth bonded. So what's the problem? He insists that this 'bonding' (a green wire) has to go from my supply (in the garage) up, over, through, down and along the front of the house, down the other side, then through the wall and through the study onto the incoming water pipe. Apart from what that will cost, the disruption and legacy appearance is causing me to consider the question - do I live without an EV charger or cancel the car?
I've slept peacefully in by bed for 40 years and he's now telling me I could be dead any day soon !

I am having a hypervolt installed in a few weeks, yes it's a very easy install with less than 6meters of cable required. The consumer unit is under the stairs on the outer wall where the charger will be located. I ordered direct from hypervolt, they recommended an installer my area, I checked his reviews and spoke with him 're the install and sent plenty of pictures. The unit itself from hypervolt is £679. I will pay around 100 quid more and the rest by the grant.
The fitter may be getting 200 an hour, but not by me.
I'm looking at a Hypervolt as well. Had one quote in for £780 with the grant. Seems like the going rate. Essex Based.

i
I have just had my first visit from an installer and it didn't go well . . . . .
We've lived in this house for 40 years. We had it completely rewired 30 years back all in line with the then current regulations. For some reason my incoming water pipe does not have am 'earth bonding' wire attached to it. The installer will not install anything unless I pay for a my water pipe to be earth bonded. So what's the problem? He insists that this 'bonding' (a green wire) has to go from my supply (in the garage) up, over, through, down and along the front of the house, down the other side, then through the wall and through the study onto the incoming water pipe. Apart from what that will cost, the disruption and legacy appearance is causing me to consider the question - do I live without an EV charger or cancel the car?
I've slept peacefully in by bed for 40 years and he's now telling me I could be dead any day soon !
I think this will be a basic requirement for the install. All meters (gas and water) need to be bonded

I have lived and worked in other countries and apart from seeing how things are done differently elsewhere it also spotlights the cultural differences. We are courteous and polite to the ridiculous extreme. In other countries when an artisan comes to quote for a job they walk in the door with a copy of their qualifications and insurance and their quote comes with a justification of what they are doing and why they are charging what they are charging. In this country (our culture) we are too polite to ask if they are qualified let alone for proof of their qualifications and insurance and we wouldn’t dare ask them to itemise/justify why they are charging £xxx.

The electrician is "earning 3 or 4 times more" because there are enough clients willing to pay the quoted rate. If there aren't enough clients willing to pay the quoted rate, then the electrician will not be "earning 3 or 4 times more". They are charging what they can get away with, and why shouldn't they? They are, after all, getting away with it. Unless they aren't.

Hmm, I wonder if I can still get a grant for the HyperVolt, even when I had a Rolec (dumb charger) installed with grant back in 2017 at the same address?

"A customer will qualify if they have a qualifying vehicle and property as detailed below.

A customer is not permitted to claim for a grant if they have previously claimed against the scheme (or its predecessor, the Domestic Recharge Scheme) unless they own 2 eligible electric vehicles concurrently in which case a second chargepoint grant can be claimed. This includes if they:

have previously claimed against the Domestic Recharge Scheme
move property
purchase a new chargepoint, even if it is for a new car that is not compatible with the old one
update an old chargepoint to a new one
want to claim against the cost of moving an existing chargepoint to a new property

If a customer is moving to a new house with an old chargepoint and they wish to replace it, they would be eligible for the grant (providing that customer has not previously claimed against the scheme and all other requirements are met).

OZEV cannot provide bespoke advice on eligibility. Customers should consult with an approved EVHS installer regarding their individual circumstances and if they qualify."

Reactions: Campi
It's a pain, but it's something that ideally should be rectified anyway. Of course, you are free to suggest a different routeing for the cable, but it will need to run between the main earthing terminal at your electicity meter and the incoming water pipe.

Newbie question, I have Model Y on order. I have received quotes in Essex for a Zappi V2 Tethered Unit / Type 2 - 6.5m installed for £1,147 after the grant or the EO Mini Pro 2 EV for £1.050 both including labour cost £375. Does that seem expensive, most of the prices on the recommendation thread seem lower.

I don't have solar panels, are these chargers more expensive for solar functionality that I don't need? Any recommendations for similar chargers?

Thanks in advance

Looking at my latest quote and trying to separate labour time and materials it looks like £750 for a days labour and £930 for the unit and 'materials,' materials that should come to about £750. That's about £500 more than my cheapest quote so far. I've asked for an explanation and I am still waiting (but not holding my breath).