Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home chargers offered up to EV travelers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard of EV owners offering up their home charger to other EV travelers.

Does anyone know of an app or site that maps or identifies participants?
Yes, and I highly recommend not being shy of it. I got my Tesla in Spring of 2014, and it was in the electric car wasteland of Idaho, so there weren't any Superchargers within driving range for the first 14 months I had the car. I have gotten to be on both ends of Plugshare--as a host and guest, and it was great. Since I was in Boise, and it's the only route through on I-84 from Oregon to Utah, I got to meet Tesla owners from Seattle, New Mexico, and Reno Nevada who charged at my garage as they were traveling through. I was super excited to get to meet other Tesla owners, so we went out and had lunch or dinner and got to talk about our Tesla obsession. And then when I went on a trip down into Utah to a little town called Heber City. There still weren't Superchargers in Salt Lake City at that point, so charging was scarce. I found that there was an owner of a non-Tesla electric car who lived there in Heber City (only one) who was offering his garage 14-50 outlet on Plugshare. I charged there at his garage for a couple of hours while my wife and I were at a concert about a mile away, so it was a walkable distance. I did also contact someone else who was glad to offer, but I ended up not needing it on that trip.

Yes, and I highly recommend not being shy of it.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm a model 3 reservation holder. I'm in the process of installing the Tesla HPWC in one garage and a NEMA 14-50 in my other garage for future growth. I have thought about offering these up on plug share and your experience helps convince me. I'd be thrilled to sit and talk shop with any EV owner while they juiced up. I do live in a large city and public charging is not widespread, but certainly available. And there is a supercharger about 30 min North and soon to be another one about 30 min southwest of me, so I don't expect a huge demand from plugshare, but you never know. Some one may be driving through and need a quick juice up to get to the next DC charger.

What is the etiquette? Do you pay so much per hour? Even if they offer it as free? I've thought about putting my house on as well, but I live away from town a little so I doubt I would be useful to anyone.
I think it is usually considered more like a doing a favor type of feeling, so per hour is pretty unusual. That might feel a little greedy/impersonal, so something that is more like a thank you gift would usually be more like it. Electricity would generally be less than $10. If they are only hosting someone once every few months, most people wouldn't care for any payment. It feels good to do a favor for another electric car traveler. I did have someone give me a couple of little jars of jam they made that they had brought with them. I heard an easy idea that I used on a trip. Pick up a few $10 Starbucks gift cards. They are usable in most places, and they are easy to leave for someone, even if schedules don't overlap to meet the host. I've also heard of a bottle of wine as a thank you gift.

Reactions: OBX John
I used plug share Thanksgiving Day.
I was visiting family and after a couple of joy rides for curious family members, I found myself about 20 miles short of a return route buffer.
Only a slow level 2 available nearby, so I call the first person on the list.
Super nice guy( cardiologist) who said come over.
He plugged it in and I had my in law take me back from house and back an hour later.
Perfect!
I brought him cupcakes from our family meal simply as a gesture of gratitude. It seemed like the least I could do.
Anything else and I believe he would have refused.
He had a S P85 and X P90D, so it's not like he's doing it for extra coin.
I went home and added myself to the network hoping to return the favor to someone someday.

I have a rental house on the beach road here on the Outer Banks - thinking strongly of making the parking spot next to the road into an EV charging station. Not many public chargers right now. Going to work with a Tesla rep to get some of my restaurant friends to add charging as well.

By all means, list your charging station on PlugShare. We visited the OBX this past summer by using the Virginia Beach SC and Plymouth SC but would have delighted to stay at your place.

Reactions: OBX John
I went home and added myself to the network hoping to return the favor to someone someday.

That's payment enough in my book!

I did get my HPWC installed as well as a NEMA 14-50. I've also listed both on plugshare. Honestly, at this point, I'd almost pay someone just to test out the HPWC! It'll likely be a year before I can use it. In all honesty, for me, I'd simply be happy to help out another person. Payment could be as simply as letting me check out what you're driving. A good look at the options, etc.

For others, a small gift to say thanks would likely go over well. If you offer me cash, I'd likely refuse. The electricity is relatively cheap (especially here in Texas).

By all means, list your charging station on PlugShare. We visited the OBX this past summer by using the Virginia Beach SC and Plymouth SC but would have delighted to stay at your place.

I imagine I'll do one at our Duck place too - it'd actually be far easier considering the location of the panels there in relation to the parking.

I would love for some Tesla owners to stay at our places. I've got to get this done asap. Still feeling the enthusiasm of a new convert i guess... ;)

I have a vacation rental in Lake Tahoe and getting a charger put in for guests, wondering if I should be snobby and just put in a Tesla one or if I should put in a J1772 for everyone (I know, I know, be nice....)

I remember first getting the app and being shocked at home many people were offering up their home charges for a drop in shot of juice but it really shows what a great EV community is out there.

I have a vacation rental in Lake Tahoe and getting a charger put in for guests, wondering if I should be snobby and just put in a Tesla one or if I should put in a J1772 for everyone (I know, I know, be nice....)

I remember first getting the app and being shocked at home many people were offering up their home charges for a drop in shot of juice but it really shows what a great EV community is out there.

I ran my HPWC through a 100A RV Box with a NEMA 14-50 and regular 110v outlet. The RV box was only ~$120 and since it's got the same current rating as the HPWC I ran them both in parallel off a 100A breaker. The added utility was certainly worth $120. If a non-Tesla wants to charge then they need to BYOC. Every Tesla comes with a 50A connector... I wish the other OEMs would get on board. I've already hosted one LEAF; he was smart enough to carry a Jesla in his car (A UMC with the Tesla connector replaced with J1772)

What is the etiquette? Do you pay so much per hour?

I feel embarrassed to ask to plugin at friends houses when we stay over ... but the friends seem to expect it, so maybe its me that is out of step. We take bottles of wine etc. for the stay-over, so I'm sure my host is not out of pocket, just feels like an imposition to me (I'm talking about non-EV houses, I imagine IF I was staying over with friends who had an EV Socket it wouldn't be an issue). I'm reminded that my kids plug into electricity for their Phones and other devices whenever they see a spare socket - can't remember them asking permissions much, if ever! so maybe that will be the new way.

I read a story on Plugshare where the driver needed at least a couple of hours charge so he took the Host and his partner out for a meal - in the Hosts car of course :)

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
I feel embarrassed to ask to plugin at friends houses when we stay over ... but the friends seem to expect it, so maybe its me that is out of step. We take bottles of wine etc. for the stay-over, so I'm sure my host is not out of pocket, just feels like an imposition to me (I'm talking about non-EV houses, I imagine IF I was staying over with friends who had an EV Socket it wouldn't be an issue). I'm reminded that my kids plug into electricity for their Phones and other devices whenever they see a spare socket - can't remember them asking permissions much, if ever! so maybe that will be the new way.

I read a story on Plugshare where the driver needed at least a couple of hours charge so he took the Host and his partner out for a meal - in the Hosts car of course :)

I certainly understand your concern when asking a non EV owner. Chances are they have NO idea of the impact of you plugging in. To them, it could be $1.. could be $30 to $40. (They may assume it's similar to a tank of gas.)
I'm also concerned about doing that too much with non EV owners. Might give a negative perception of EV convenience if their only interaction with an EV is someone bumming electricity.

Reactions: Uricasha
To them, it could be $1.. could be $30 to $40

Indeed, although:

Might give a negative perception of EV convenience if their only interaction with an EV is someone bumming electricity.

when you tell them that (over here at least) your "tank of electrons" is actually 4x - 8x cheaper than the equivalent mileage-tank of Gas they may well be converted.

I do explain exactly what the cost of me filling up is ... but even so, I still feel a bit uncomfortable.

What is the etiquette? Do you pay so much per hour? Even if they offer it as free? I've thought about putting my house on as well, but I live away from town a little so I doubt I would be useful to anyone.
I suppose you could offer to pay, out of courtesy; but to me, payment for using a home charger would make little sense, because it would just be pocket change. Typical home charging (NEMA 14-50, running at 40 amps) pulls 10 kw; so even if you charge for 2 hours (a lot, when sitting in someone's driveway), at 11 cents per kwh, would amount to $2.20.