Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging dropping to 16A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Voltage is generally 238-242v whenever I've checked. Got a readout on a UPS that shows incoming supply voltage.

As soon as you flip to scheduled the app shows max 16 amps immediately. I've changed the time from over night to later in the evening. Same result. I don't think it's taking into account any local load at all. It just sets the max in the app/car with no regard to it.

I've not had any other car behave like this. They've all charged the same speed regardless of whether they were on timed or charge now.

The "resting voltage" is less significant than the drop when demand rises. You will find that the voltage varies when the car is pulling the full 32amps. You can see the voltage in the Tesla app if you watch the charge in real time. An app like Tessie or Teslafi will graph the voltage over the period of the charge for easier analysis. I live in a rural area and have a long cable run to where the car charge point is located. My voltage is very variable and I do sometimes have times when the charging rate backs off.

Voltage is generally 238-242v whenever I've checked. Got a readout on a UPS that shows incoming supply voltage.

As soon as you flip to scheduled the app shows max 16 amps immediately. I've changed the time from over night to later in the evening. Same result. I don't think it's taking into account any local load at all. It just sets the max in the app/car with no regard to it.

I've not had any other car behave like this. They've all charged the same speed regardless of whether they were on timed or charge now.
Crazy idea maybe: Do you have a friend nearby with an EV charge point you can experiment with to see if it is isolated solely to your installation? It sounds like you may have tried this but it would be an additional reference point. If it does the same on another charge point in a different location it would be ammunition for a service request to Tesla. Or ask someone else with a Tesla to experiment at your house.

Reactions: Adopado
Crazy idea maybe: Do you have a friend nearby with an EV charge point you can experiment with to see if it is isolated solely to your installation? It sounds like you may have tried this but it would be an additional reference point. If it does the same on another charge point in a different location it would be ammunition for a service request to Tesla. Or ask someone else with a Tesla to experiment at your house.

I'm probably going to end up poking Tesla service about it.

I think it's some daft glitch. I'll probably switch it off timed altogether and leave it on full speed and see what happens. Then if it stays top speed then it's definitely not the installation or local supply as when it's on immediate charge it tops itself up at all sorts of weird times when it's left plugged in and dropped below the charge limit enough.

It's read on the car. It's in the same location so there is no logical reason that timed would be different from immediate.
We have 2 Tesla and 2 TWC (the dumb Gen2 versions) and our cars always show 16A when plugged in and waiting for a timed charge to begin. But when charging starts they switch to 32A. When charging is done the screen in the app shows 16A again.

IMG_FBDBE8294842-1.jpeg

Reactions: Adopado
We have 2 Tesla and 2 TWC (the dumb Gen2 versions) and our cars always show 16A when plugged in and waiting for a timed charge to begin. But when charging starts they switch to 32A. When charging is done the screen in the app shows 16A again.

View attachment 995816
Interesting. I checked the charge speed with Tronity ages ago and it was showing it wasn't the 7kw I was expecting. It was about half that.

Will have to use a timer when I can check in the app as to what the actual charge speed is. Plus check on the wall charger info as it shows it there too.

Interesting. I checked the charge speed with Tronity ages ago and it was showing it wasn't the 7kw I was expecting. It was about half that.

Will have to use a timer when I can check in the app as to what the actual charge speed is. Plus check on the wall charger info as it shows it there too.
We schedule our cars to charge no earlier than 11.30pm when the lower price kicks in. It may be that many people in our local area are also load-shifting but often there is a voltage drop or irregularity during the reduced rate period. I don't recall ever seeing this when we were on a single-rate plan and charged during the day. That said, when our car charging tapers from a sagging grid supply it does reduce but never as far as 16A.

I checked the charge speed with Tronity ages ago and it was showing it wasn't the 7kw I was expecting. It was about half that.

Or you could just use TeslaFi / similar and it will log all that information and you can check it after the fact, beats try to be available to monitor it when the problem occurs. And compare charging at various times of the day / whether manual or scheduled ... and also see if getting the APP to periodically try to force the AMPs to 32 changes anything.

But I'm repeating myself.

The supply where I live is quite stressed. Nominal voltage with no load from my usage is about 240V. But the car alone at 32A will pull it down to 215V. Add anything else of significance (cooker, kettle etc) and it can easily go under 200V. The car will throttle if the voltage drops by 10% or more and if it goes significantly lower (sorry, don't have a voltage to quote for this), it'll terminate charging altogether.

In my case, I very seldom get a charge at 32A, but OTOH, it's mostly 24A which is the first stage of throttling it seems. If yours is going to 16A, then that's quite a significant drop.

The supply where I live is quite stressed. Nominal voltage with no load from my usage is about 240V. But the car alone at 32A will pull it down to 215V. Add anything else of significance (cooker, kettle etc) and it can easily go under 200V. The car will throttle if the voltage drops by 10% or more and if it goes significantly lower (sorry, don't have a voltage to quote for this), it'll terminate charging altogether.

In my case, I very seldom get a charge at 32A, but OTOH, it's mostly 24A which is the first stage of throttling it seems. If yours is going to 16A, then that's quite a significant drop.
Off topic here, I know, but have you reported it to your DNO?
If your supply is going outside of spec with a “normal” draw ( and, let’s face it, 32A is not THAT high) then I believe they’re obliged to do something about it…

Off topic here, I know, but have you reported it to your DNO?
If your supply is going outside of spec with a “normal” draw ( and, let’s face it, 32A is not THAT high) then I believe they’re obliged to do something about it…
They have said they‘ll install a fresh supply with a new PMT from another 10kV line close by - but it’s now three years and counting…