Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging Question on Using Electric Dryer Outlet 10-30A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like a NEMA 10-20 to me. What is the breaker size?

That's a NEMA 10-50, 50 amp with no ground. If it's on a 30 amp breaker, it should be switched out for a NEMA 14-30 if a ground wire is available and a NEMA 10-30 if no ground is available.

Edited: I initially said 10-series plugs have no neutral, but that's incorrect; it's no ground.

Last edited:
Ok. Looked like a 10-20 to me based on the size of the wire. Also throught it would be unusual for a dryer outlet to be 50a, especially that old. That is why I asked about the breaker size. A 10-20 would also be unusual...
I'm guessing it was just rigged to work with what someone had laying around. OP did mention a 30 amp fuse (and not a breaker) as well.

Luckily he can turn off power to the outlet (pull the fuse), check the wires connected to the outlet safely and figure out what to install from there. 3 wires and a ground go 14-30, 3 wires no ground put in a 10-30 (this assumes wires are at least 10awg). I'm not sure if electricians are technically allowed to install 10-30's anymore since they are not to code, but you could DIY without issues and still be better off than the 10-50. He can get everything he needs from the local hardware store.

Last edited:
I’ll second what @ecarfan said about home charging. You should have a proper circuit wired so you can plug in at home every night. Leave the superchargers to travelers and apartment dwellers, and don’t even think about depending on public level 2 charging. Talking time to go charge somewhere will get old quickly. One of the main advantages to driving an EV is waking up to a full (meaning 90%) tank every morning. No more going somewhere to get your energy.

30a circuit with a 10-50 outlet. That circuit is odd and old enough I suggest having an electrician come and check it out, and make whatever changes are necessary.

While the circuit and breaker may be fine, there is a big difference in using a dryer and charging your car. It will cost a little money, but I think worth it.

30a circuit with a 10-50 outlet. That circuit is odd and old enough I suggest having an electrician come and check it out, and make whatever changes are necessary.

While the circuit and breaker may be fine, there is a big difference in using a dryer and charging your car. It will cost a little money, but I think worth it.

What difference is that? a dryer runs a constant heating element a car runs a constant charge rate. If someone was to go wrong it would have gone wrong in the hour or so he dries clothes.

What difference is that? a dryer runs a constant heating element a car runs a constant charge rate. If someone was to go wrong it would have gone wrong in the hour or so he dries clothes.
My dryer was on a 10-30 with a 20 amp breaker. It never tripped! Charging a car will put allot more load on the circuit than the dryer would have. If op isn't comfortable doing it he could have an electrician come and swap the outlet and dryer cord for him.

Another idea is to have an electrician come out to give you an estimate on installing a 14-50, and just ask him if it would be safe to install a 10-30 or 14-30 ;)

I have a similar situation to you and opted for the Dryer Buddy. It’s worked great and I never worry about charging anymore. Here’s a picture of my setup (the dryer outlet is down and to the right).

DE2701CC-6A2E-412C-A9EC-C15597F56A53.jpeg

Reactions: Toysla and Big Earl