Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home delivery to NH from Dedham

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone in NH with home delivery experience out of Dehdam? I was told that mine will be delivered to my home by a 3rd party trucker because it's outside the 30-mile radius handled by Tesla employees.

More specifically:
1. If the car has some paint/fitting issues or missing parts, how do I have it recorded so that it could be taken care of in the future without hassle?
2. Can I reject the delivery if it shows major issues?

I'd appreciate it if you could share your experience/advice. Thanks.

The driver will have an inspection report with any noted body damage at the time they picked it up from Dedham, you must sign off after you comare that list (presumably empty for a new car, or some items for a CPO) to actual condition to release any liability for the transport company. If there was damage at the time they picked it up at Dedham you'll have proof of that in the report.

I live more than 30 miles from delivery (Dedham or Watertown) but in MA. I picked mine up myself and I'd recommend it. I found a number of things on delivery and their process for "documented at delivery" vs not is not good (I've bought 2).

You cannot pick up in MA unless you want to pay sales tax. And if OP is from NH, he doesn’t.

If you haven't been in contact with a DA yet, then you could be weeks out still. Or not. There really isn't a way to know for sure. As for home delivery versus picking up, since the car is already in Dedham you basically need them to truck it to you or you'll pay MA tax. Otherwise you could pick it up in NY. Since you DA hasn't contacted you yet, though, the vehicle might not yet be at a distribution / delivery center. The date and location you see on the Tesla site is simply a placeholder, and you shouldn't believe anything it says.

The only reliable way to know when the car is coming is that the trucker will call you on the day of delivery to confirm you are or will be home. There are stories of trucks just showing up and the driver calls from nearby, though, so once your DA gives you a general idea when the delivery might be, stay close by for a day or two.

As was stated, the truck driver will have a form and an app for you to sign noting any damage. Their form doesn't have things like paint defects though, so any swirls, nibs, dust caught in the clear coat, panel alignment issues, etc. they likely won't have on their sheet. You need to be ready to take a TON of photos when your car gets dropped off, and take copious notes. My experience from beginning of October was that my paint needed some correction work which I had done by a professional detailer near me in Hooksett. Panel gaps were effectively a non-issue, and my biggest complaint was sticker residue that I cleaned off my windshield with a flat razor blade.

My interaction with my DA, on the other hand, was a completely miserable experience and I'm glad I won't have to deal with that for the foreseeable future. Stay on top of your DA, put together a list of documents your bank needs (if you're financing) and make sure you have them. Be sure to pay before the truck is supposed to be scheduled, because the trucking company can not bring the car to you until you've paid in full. Have insurance on the vehicle the day before it's due. Make sure your DA over night's the registration paperwork package so that you have it before or when the car shows up. In NH you can not legally drive the vehicle until it's registered, and you must have the paperwork from Tesla to register it. My car sat for 5 days while I waited for paperwork and then town hall to open on a holiday weekend.

Finally, you can reject delivery, but you may want to carefully consider that option. If you reject, you may not get a replacement before end of the year, so you'll miss out on $3750 of the potential tax credit. You'll also go back into the queue, and likely mess up someone else's delivery date in the process. It might be much easier, if the problems are simple, to take detailed photos of the issues, mark them on any paperwork you can, and to call your DA right then and there to see what works best for you. If you take delivery of a car that needs paint touched up, that might be a much better option than waiting a month or two for a new car. You can probably get Tesla to cover fixing it somewhat quickly or paying for a certified/reputable shop near you to fix it. After curing for a couple days, car paint should be hard enough to be out in the snow and salt.

• Helpful
Reactions: datoda and dave4444
Thanks guys for your answers. They are really helpful.

One more question: How far ahead before home delivery did you sign the MVPA? I am not yet contacted by my DA.
Hey datoda, I live a few miles from Dedham and can go inspect your car if you know when it arrives. I can take some pictures for you. I did this for another guy a few months back when we were waiting on our cars. Pm me the VIN color and wheel combo.

@tomc603 Thank you for sharing the information and advice. It's immensely helpful. I got a cookie-cutter email very late last night (11:30pm) from Dedham's store manager for delivery, indicating that everything is on schedule. In the same email, he also wrote "This will allow us to process your Registration once the vehicle arrives to Tesla Dedham and coordinate your drop-off delivery." I know it doesn't apply to me, but it's probably an indication that the car is not yet at Dedham. I still haven't heard from my DA and my trade-in value is still pending. :(

@robarino Thank you for offering to inspect my car! I will try to find out where my car is.first, and PM you if I can't make a trip down there myself before delivery. Just curious: Does Dedham SC leaves the cars in the lot and folks can just walk up and look at the car without checking in with the SC staff first? Thanks again!

If a NH resident wants to pick up, they need to request pick-up at Mt Kisco, NY.
I read about that in another forum at this site. My problem is that I couldn't even get a live person to discuss my delivery. My IDA sent me a cookie-cutter email this morning, along with his phone number. It went straight to his voice mailbox when I called. Yet my delivery is scheduled for tomorrow. :( The whole experience is quite frustrating.

I read about that in another forum at this site. My problem is that I couldn't even get a live person to discuss my delivery. My IDA sent me a cookie-cutter email this morning, along with his phone number. It went straight to his voice mailbox when I called. Yet my delivery is scheduled for tomorrow. :( The whole experience is quite frustrating.

Was the car delivered today, or was the date just a place-holder? The fact that it might not be in Dedham yet probably means it was, but hey. Maybe they got the car yesterday, prepped it, got your paperwork done, and they delivered it all to you today? I certainly hope that was the case.

I'm very sure that as Tesla suffered a couple very hard months of deliveries, they're going to be making everything as smooth as they possibly can. So what to me a month and a half could take a week soon. And that's why I gave my feedback to Tesla directly. I want new owners to be amazed with how seamless and fast the process is, because I want them to love every moment from ordering to driving. There's really nothing like buying a car you're madly in love with, and I don't want anything to spoil that feeling for anybody.

Hoping to hear good news!

Last edited:
@tomc603 Thank you for sharing the information and advice. It's immensely helpful. I got a cookie-cutter email very late last night (11:30pm) from Dedham's store manager for delivery, indicating that everything is on schedule. In the same email, he also wrote "This will allow us to process your Registration once the vehicle arrives to Tesla Dedham and coordinate your drop-off delivery." I know it doesn't apply to me, but it's probably an indication that the car is not yet at Dedham. I still haven't heard from my DA and my trade-in value is still pending. :(

Telsa does a horrible job with state specific information about deliveries. They would have much happier customers if they simply listed on thier website every state plus all countries they sell in, and what information you needed to know for every one of them as not all of us live in california.

Reactions: DrDabbles
They would have much happier customers if they simply listed on thier website every state plus all countries they sell in, and what information you needed to know for every one of them as not all of us live in california.

I fully agree. If they provided a list of requirements, a list of deliverables from them and the customer, and a guide of what to expect, it would have instantly changed my experience.

I hope you guys all had a great Thanksgiving!

Just an update on my Model 3 delivery:
0. Tuesday night, the VIN disappeared from my account, and the delivery date was removed. It showed a generic 'December Delivery' instead. I was in full panic mode.
1. My IDA finally called me on Wednesday, telling me that my paperwork is stuck at trade-in because I didn't submit an image of the title. He obviously didn't check his email because I sent one to him two days before. He said he would go ahead with the trade-in request, but made it sound like it's going to delay the process further. Since I got a CarMax quote that I feel ok with, I told him to remove the trade-in request.
2. A few minutes after we hanged up, I saw the trade-in section removed from my account. I did an ACH to pay up the remaining balance. A few more minutes later, the same VIN re-appeared, with a 'delivery appointment' at Dedham scheduled on 11/23 at 9am, plus the same generic 'December delivery' message. I didn't take that delivery appointment seriously, thinking that it's probably for MA residents and their system didn't know how to handle NH orders.
3. Fast forward to this morning. I got a call from a number associated with a auto detailing shop (no website, just a facebook page) according to Google (or most likely it's just the owner of the shop also works at Tesla, and because it's typical for Tesla employee to use their own cell phone to do business). He told me that they couldn't do the delivery today because the car is still in RI. It would be at Dedham on Monday, and asked me when would be a good time for Tuesday delivery.

I hope Tesla could keep their delivery promise. Wish me luck!

Yes! I got my car delivered today. I was expecting a 3rd party trucker to bring me the car but it ended up being driven to my place by a Tesla employee. That's how I could get it today or I would need to wait for a few more days.

The guy who sent me the car didn't bring any doc with him. He said my IDA would email me the MVPA for temp license plate. I called/emailed my IDA but no response.

I could download an older version of MVPA from my account that still shows a balance after my $2500 deposit. May I bring that to the DMV to get a temp plate? Thanks!

Yes! I got my car delivered today. I was expecting a 3rd party trucker to bring me the car but it ended up being driven to my place by a Tesla employee. That's how I could get it today or I would need to wait for a few more days.

The guy who sent me the car didn't bring any doc with him. He said my IDA would email me the MVPA for temp license plate. I called/emailed my IDA but no response.

I could download an older version of MVPA from my account that still shows a balance after my $2500 deposit. May I bring that to the DMV to get a temp plate? Thanks!
I could not get a temp plate with my MVPA, because it was not signed by the seller. But this was a CPO, and it was delivered with the prior owner's title, so I had no issue getting the permanent plate from town hall.