Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home made jack pad for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some have joked here about spending so much on a jack pad. I wasn't sure, but having changed the rims for seasonal tires once with a home-made solutions - I decided to spring for Murphy's pad.

Very pleased I did. Faster and very much less nerve-wracking than prior lifts. The magnets are cool - get the pad in place, then locate the jack - so much better as you KNOW there's no overlap with the battery.

Great purchase. Will be interesting to see how the high-density foam holds up over time.

(BTW: don't forget to remove pad after wheel change - seriously. I was in a real time crunch whipped the jack out, tidied the tools, stored the summer rims and totally forgot to remove the jack pad. 20 miles later (!) noticed the pad as I returned to the parked car - thank goodness for those magnets)
I appreciate your review. One correction the bottoms are hardened rubber not foam, the material is the same as you find in high end gyms and gymnastics facilities but a slightly higher level. I spent 2 months orderig samples of different densities of rubber and found the medium of strength and enough give/squish to allow the jack plate to have a groove to help with keeping down slip.

I own a emergency roadside assistance company in Texas and we do the loaner tire program for Tesla as many here have been helped by myself in Austin and San Antonio so this was a need for me and my guys that turned into a full time job for me making these.
I’ve forgotten a few pads before and they have made many journeys as you had happen usually they show up at the service centers and I grab them back.

I’ve always said people should use what they feel most comfortable with be that a hockey puck, piece of wood or a speciality tool such as I make.

Again thank you for taking the time to share your experience with my product.
Have a great new year.

Interesting idea ... another version of the hockey puck :cool:

Tesla Model S Jack Pad Tool | eBay

s-l500.png

s-l1600.png

Hey @Murphy’s Law ..I've unfollowed the thread because it's become only about your pads (which are nice, but not what I'm looking for). Another member, @vette_fly was looking into possibly milling some aluminum ones he made which I know some of us were interested in, amongst other options.

Any chance this thread can remain "options" for jack pads, vs your sales posts? I think there's a different area for that...

Hey @Murphy’s Law ..I've unfollowed the thread because it's become only about your pads (which are nice, but not what I'm looking for). Another member, @vette_fly was looking into possibly milling some aluminum ones he made which I know some of us were interested in, amongst other options.

Any chance this thread can remain "options" for jack pads, vs your sales posts? I think there's a different area for that...
Like this one? Vendor - Tire service lift pad adapter speciality tool

Can

Can do be but I think the thread would die, be wary of material that has no give like aluminum as the factory jack spot is not solid and can crack if there is no give and a angle is in play when the floor jack lifts.
I tried 6-7 I think rubber densities before choosing one thing have both a strength to hold the weight but also enough give to allow a groove to hold hands with the jack plate lip.
A untested idea is dangerous and the costs could be high in repair.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
A untested idea is dangerous and the costs could be high in repair.

But couldn't you say the exact same thing about your product?

Yes, untested ideas can be dangerous, until they're tested and proven otherwise.

I tried 6-7 I think rubber densities before choosing one thing

How many of those tests were dangerous and could have caused damage? But you did it anyway. So why crap on everyone else's attempt to create or even talk about a competing product in the "Home made jack pad for Model S" thead?

Reactions: FlatSix911
But couldn't you say the exact same thing about your product?

Yes, untested ideas can be dangerous, until they're tested and proven otherwise.

How many of those tests were dangerous and could have caused damage? But you did it anyway. So why crap on everyone else's attempt to create or even talk about a competing product?
I advised him to be careful and gave a reason behind it. Not crapping on anyone just laid out facts. If the base material has some me give in the spires and the base is the exact length and width as the factory jack pad it’s good.
Calm down and breath. As far as a competitors product I read it hadn’t yet been made, again I was giving my opinion we all have one. My opinion just happens to have some actual reasonings behind them gained from experience not emotion.
I’ve said many times that people should use what they feel comfortable with: puck, wood, my product or what ever.
I guess my assumption was that anyone cared about hearing my opinion I guess you feel the same but are also finding out not everyone really cares about that said opinion.

Last edited:
All due respect, @Murphy’s Law , I'd rather see this thread dead if it only contains your posts in replacement for a discussion about jack pad options...what it was intended for.

Assuming you won't - at least put your sales posts in the vendor forum and manage your business like other, respected sellers are here.
Will do.

You mean like these babies? I got some from my friend's CNC shop. I just been busy to post it. I have a dozen extra from his small batch order from China.

Attachments

• 20180103_080426.jpg
    20180103_080426.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 526