Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink DIY install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally got around doing the physical install which was pretty straight forward IMO (a few screws to remove the frunk container) and zip typing the adapter in place, or double side tape per RoBoRaT (which I think i prefer).

I brought in my car in for minor fixes from day 1 delivery, and asked the service rep to help with the homelink config push. She said I had to open another request since it was not part of the initial request, so she made me open another service appointment. In speaking with one of the technicians, they need to push a config to the car, and restart the "computer". I scheduled another appointment so let's see how this goes the next time around..

I finally got around doing the physical install which was pretty straight forward IMO (a few screws to remove the frunk container) and zip typing the adapter in place, or double side tape per RoBoRaT (which I think i prefer).

I brought in my car in for minor fixes from day 1 delivery, and asked the service rep to help with the homelink config push. She said I had to open another request since it was not part of the initial request, so she made me open another service appointment. In speaking with one of the technicians, they need to push a config to the car, and restart the "computer". I scheduled another appointment so let's see how this goes the next time around..

The mobile tech did not charge me when he activated the HomeLink function after my DiY install.

I put in my appointment request that the module was from my previous Model 3, if that mattered.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211125-054412_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20211125-054412_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 372
Reactions: Daekwan
Out of curiosity. What’s so special about Tesla’s homelink? Seems like so much money versus a regular visor-mounted button.
There's no button*. It automatically actuates your garage when you arrive and when you leave. Is that life-changing? No. Definitely nice to have though.

* Well, there is, in the bar at the top of the screen. You just don't need to touch it in normal use.

• Informative
Reactions: Tha_Ape
Never thought about that, as someone trading in a M3 soon that originally came with HomeLink, for a MY that doesn't come with it... hmm.
Exactly what I did.

Mind that the HomeLink module on earlier Model 3 (mine was Nov 2018 build) is located in front of the bumper crashbar - which involves removing the plastic bumper (body panel) to retrieve the module.

I know, coz I was able to dislodge/unmount the HL module BUT can NOT slide past the crash bar to totally get it without removing the bumper panel. I eventually removed the bumper panel to get the HL module out.

Exactly what I did.

Mind that the HomeLink module on earlier Model 3 (mine was Nov 2018 build) is located in front of the bumper crashbar - which involves removing the plastic bumper (body panel) to retrieve the module.

I know, coz I was able to dislodge/unmount the HL module BUT can NOT slide past the crash bar to totally get it without removing the bumper panel. I eventually removed the bumper panel to get the HL module out.
The newer radar-less models don't require there removal of the bumper facia for installation or removal.

The mobile tech did not charge me when he activated the HomeLink function after my DiY install.

I put in my appointment request that the module was from my previous Model 3, if that mattered.
I tried to schedule mobile service for this and they wouldn’t approve it. Saying they were going to send out a new module and charge me $300+ for it.

Did you wait until the tech is at your house before asking to do this?

I tried to schedule mobile service for this and they wouldn’t approve it. Saying they were going to send out a new module and charge me $300+ for it.

Did you wait until the tech is at your house before asking to do this?
It was scheduled in the app. My SC and Mobile Tech are cool - the tech even gave his CP if for any questions.

I suggest scheduling mobile service by putting an address (like work) that is covered by other service center/mobile tech.

Tell them you have paid for this module (which you did).

They will have to send you an estimate before proceeding any repair anyway. They shouldn't force you to buy another module.

It was scheduled in the app. My SC and Mobile Tech are cool - the tech even gave his CP if for any questions.

I suggest scheduling mobile service by putting an address (like work) that is covered by other service center/mobile tech.

Tell them you have paid for this module (which you did).

They will have to send you an estimate before proceeding any repair anyway. They shouldn't force you to buy another module.
Yes they did send me an estimate, that’s where the $300+ came from. But I can tell my service guy was not cool. I’m thinking next time I’ll just ask when the tech comes out to install my missing usb-c ports. Maybe leave him a nice tip.

Yes they did send me an estimate, that’s where the $300+ came from. But I can tell my service guy was not cool. I’m thinking next time I’ll just ask when the tech comes out to install my missing usb-c ports. Maybe leave him a nice tip.
Did you install (basically plug-in) the HL module?

Coz I did, and all I asked was for them to activate/push the garage opener function. It was itemized in the invoice, no charge.
Screenshot_20211125-054412_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Reactions: RNHurt

Thanks for providing the context -- much appreciated! Mobile Service came out and was able to push the config -- MS verified that the device was recognized, pushed the config, and unplugged the 12v battery + heat pump connector (?) to do a hard reset. The bill came out to be $42 dollars. Not bad since I paid $40 dollars for the homelink device.

$40 must have been a steal. They used to be $100-$150 but my guess would be sellers realized they could make more.
Ive only seen them as cheap as 100 or so since the this past summer. 40$ is crazy. He likely caught it on Bid auction and that’s as high as it got. The homelink mounts people sell are even 40$. Price has gone up since there’s a market for them now.

Did you install (basically plug-in) the HL module?

Coz I did, and all I asked was for them to activate/push the garage opener function. It was itemized in the invoice, no charge.
View attachment 738042
Today Tesla mobile came to adjust my headlights. I left a note in the car cuz I was in a meeting. The tech was able to flash the computer and got my HL up on my screen within 10 minutes. He even offered to program the HL to my garage door opener. No charge.

So my recommendation is don’t text service to have this done. Just ask your tech to do it when they’re at your door. GL