Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink - Post Delivery Installation Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
follow up on my previous reply. spoke to tesla mobile technician and he told me that if you have already ordered the garage door opener, it is best to create an appointment with the mobile service team, then tesla will do their due diligence and find the part (or get the part) and then do the install... the rep mentioned it takes about 2 weeks for the SC to get the part and hand it over to the mobile division. now this is specific to Toronto, so not sure how other cities or countries handle this matter.

Yes, that’s what I did and it worked. Don’t wait for Tesla to tell you it shipped or to schedule a SC appointment!

I had my Tesla M3 SR+ delivered on a Friday (at my (south FL) home). The HomeLink was installed by the field service tech at my home a week later on the following Monday. Took about 2 hours. The software needed to be re-down loaded and the car cold rebooted (by the service tech by disconnecting the 12V and traction batteries). Works great! Extremely satisfied with product & service!

I added 3 pictures to show steps of the install.

Last edited:
I just had homelink installed this past Saturday. It went quite quickly although power was cut to my house so I couldn't test it until about an hour after install. It made me update to 10.1.2 again as well before I got the icon to show up. Everything programmed ok once my remote decided to cooperate.

I ordered a M3 a little over a week ago. I have a delivery date scheduled for Oct 26.

I’ve been asking my sales center about the homelink add on. They keep telling me they don’t have them and the only way to get it is to order it online.

I really didn’t like a couple of things that made me feel uneasy going into it, and my suspicions were confirmed —

1. when I placed the order, it said “no vin provided yet or buying as a gift” or something like that. Essentially as you add the item to your cart, you are meant to give them your VIN, but no text field appears on the screen to add your VIN. I figured it must ask it at checkout or somewhere later doesn’t he line.

2. It makes you pick a service center and not elect to leave it open ended or request a mobile appointment.

3. the name of my service is center is actually misspelled on Tesla’s site. I know it doesn’t matter, but that’s pretty damn sloppy.

4. I regretfully placed the order. I immediately got a rejection email saying “no vin was supplied and order is on hold until it’s received”. And the only way I can release the order is by replying with my VIN number to this email. No phone number. I figured “no way in hell Tesla is efficiently going through millions of garbage emails/replies and picking out this information or answering any substantive questions.

I reply to the email with my vin, no more auto reply. I think “maybe I can log into my account and at least there is a history of my orders I can check” I log in— nothing. No record of me ever having ordered the home link. That also means no way of cancelling. No phone numbers. Insanely frustrating. Now I have a vin number emailed to a generic box probably littered with bullshit customer emails that no one is checking, and my homelink isn’t moving along the order queue. I have no faith the thing is ever going to release and ship

I tell my service center the online ordering is dogshit and I’m literally told to direct any questions to an email box. That is insane. That is going to mix legitimate questions with a bunch of random bullshit emails and they probably take weeks to respond to you with some question that then takes more weeks for them to respond to. The sales contact gives me a phone number to dial

I call the number and get to the phone tree section on parts ordered online, once I press it, the recording says to email the same damn online order email and kicks back to the main menu

this is pretty insane. I understand this is a startup culture. If you aren’t going to have people able to respond to inquiries by phone or chat or something more immediate, you at the very least have to register customers orders through their account so they can go in and cancel it. Now this order is just sitting out there in some digital abyss, I have no way of tracking its progress, cancelling it, or worse, I may go buy it from another center and 6 months down the line they ship this part to my service center unbeknownst to me and I end up double paying for it because I don’t notice the charge on my cars

for the price of these cars, their online system is garbage. I had to pay $100 premium for a wall connector because even the units in stock I was told can take weeks to ship and no one answers your questions

very frustrated I couldn’t just option this in with the delivery of my car. Insane that I’m not stressed chasing around all these variables

Reactions: jebinc
Just joined the model 3 club.

I ordered Homelink through the Tesla shop and got order confirmation on September 25th.

Did not get any kind of shipping notice or anything. A few other items in that same order shipped but no mention of what was happening with the garage opener.

At this point, I just decided to schedule a service appointment for accessory install and the earliest appointment was a few weeks out, October 22nd. I was afraid they wouldn't contact me for a long time, and then I'd have to wait an additional few weeks for an appointment.

On October 16th, I got a preliminary service estimate in email that I signed online. Maybe this was lucky, or maybe it was the scheduled service appointment that prompted them to take action.

Dropped off my car on the 22nd and it was ready a few hours later. They provided UBER vouches ($400 worth) for use that expired midnight that same day. Of course I only used a small portion of this.

During the service they did a software update and now I have a little Homelink icon which I programmed this morning and it seemed to work ok. Haven't tried any auto open and stuff yet. Also haven't inspected my bumper for damage...

I ordered Homelink through the Tesla shop and got order confirmation on September 25th.

Did not get any kind of shipping notice or anything. A few other items in that same order shipped but no mention of what was happening with the garage opener.

At this point, I just decided to schedule a service appointment for accessory install and the earliest appointment was a few weeks out, October 22nd. I was afraid they wouldn't contact me for a long time, and then I'd have to wait an additional few weeks for an appointment.

On October 16th, I got a preliminary service estimate in email that I signed online. Maybe this was lucky, or maybe it was the scheduled service appointment that prompted them to take action.

Dropped off my car on the 22nd and it was ready a few hours later. They provided UBER vouches ($400 worth) for use that expired midnight that same day. Of course I only used a small portion of this.

During the service they did a software update and now I have a little Homelink icon which I programmed this morning and it seemed to work ok. Haven't tried any auto open and stuff yet. Also haven't inspected my bumper for damage...

Open a service request on the app. They will install with a mobile tech anyways. They will not call you to set up the appointment even though they say they will when you buy it. Just put that you paid for homelink and need it installed.

I found the Tesla Homelink range to be abysmal, as compared to all of the other Homelink mirrors I have/had. Putting the transmitter behind a bumper earns that engineer a Darwin Award.

I found the Tesla Homelink range to be abysmal, as compared to all of the other Homelink mirrors I have/had. Putting the transmitter behind a bumper earns that engineer a Darwin Award.

Hmm. Haven't really tested the range yet. I did enable the auto-open and fold mirrors when I get home and it seems to work ok. By the time I get to the garage door its open enough to enter.

After I back out of the garage, it closes nicely. Although, the mirrors stay folded a bit longer than I would have hoped. They don't unfold until I've driven away out of the driveway and away from the house.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Hmm. Haven't really tested the range yet. I did enable the auto-open and fold mirrors when I get home and it seems to work ok. By the time I get to the garage door its open enough to enter.

After I back out of the garage, it closes nicely. Although, the mirrors stay folded a bit longer than I would have hoped. They don't unfold until I've driven away out of the driveway and away from the house.

My mirrors “fold” 100 percent of the time at precisely the same location in front of the garage, however, unfolding is flakey, both in reliability and location. I would say it works 75% of the time. As for range, I have to wait for both the garage and community gate to open because the range is so limited. Less than half the range of our mirror based Homelink system in our Subaru’s and other cars.

My mirrors “fold” 100 percent of the time at precisely the same location in front of the garage, however, unfolding is flakey, both in reliability and location. I would say it works 75% of the time. As for range, I have to wait for both the garage and community gate to open because the range is so limited. Less than half the range of our mirror based Homelink system in our Subaru’s and other cars.

Long range of HomeLink presents a bit of a security risk. The signal transmitted by your car, can be recorded and replayed by a bad actor trying to gain access to your garage or house. Personally, I prefer it to be as short range as possible. My X can trigger my garage from hundreds of feet away, which seems excessive to me. I'm having homelink installed in my 3 tomorrow. I hope it is similar or worse. Frankly, no more that 20 or 30 feet of range would be fine with me.

Long range of HomeLink presents a bit of a security risk. The signal transmitted by your car, can be recorded and replayed by a bad actor trying to gain access to your garage or house. Personally, I prefer it to be as short range as possible. My X can trigger my garage from hundreds of feet away, which seems excessive to me. I'm having homelink installed in my 3 tomorrow. I hope it is similar or worse. Frankly, no more that 20 or 30 feet of range would be fine with me.

I figure Homelink in my 3 has a range of 50' +/-. I would estimate my Subaru's, and other cars with mirror versions of Homelink, have 3-4X the range of my 3. We live in a more rural setting, so I would prefer the same range in my 3 as my other OEM cars offer.