Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink - Post Delivery Installation Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long range of HomeLink presents a bit of a security risk. The signal transmitted by your car, can be recorded and replayed by a bad actor trying to gain access to your garage or house. Personally, I prefer it to be as short range as possible. My X can trigger my garage from hundreds of feet away, which seems excessive to me. I'm having homelink installed in my 3 tomorrow. I hope it is similar or worse. Frankly, no more that 20 or 30 feet of range would be fine with me.

i thought you could choose to not use the “auto open” mood and set it to where you have to tap to open it as you approach - wouldn’t that resolve any security concern?

Does home link work on Tesla's iPhone app and opens the garage door without having be in my M3

no, homelink is not a Tesla technology. It is an industry protocol for home products, mainly garage door openers

what you are installing is a chip that lets the Tesla car communicate via the garage door opener’s “language”. So you aren’t controlling the garage via Tesla’s app. If you have a smart garage opener, you can open it through the garage opener’s app. Brands like Chamberlain have the MyQ (the name for their smart openers) app that lets you open your garage from anywhere on your phone

Homelink installed on the Tesla just lets you open and close it from the car, or automatically by geo fencing from the car

Reactions: dogmodes
he’s asking without being in the M3 - I didn’t think the Tesla app could open your homelink garage if you’re randomly somewhere else not home -
Yes, you can activate tesla homelink without being inside the car. Your car needs to be within the garage door opener range, to activate it.
You can be anywhere as long as your app is connected to your car.

Yes, you can activate tesla homelink without being inside the car. Your car needs to be within the garage door opener range, to activate it.
You can be anywhere as long as your app is connected to your car.
You are saying 2 different qualifiers so I’m still a little unclear

does the car have to be in range AND your app has to be connected to the car? Or are those both independent?

If I drive my car an hour from home. Get out of the car, fly to another state. Get off the plane, can in now unlock the homelink garage from the app without the car or myself being anywhere near my house? That’s his question

Way to expensive just to open a garage door. I'll go with Apples Home Kit door controller

I think what you’re buying is the convenience.
I have a smart garage opener I can open with my phone. Takes a few taps and logging into an app with Face ID - but what you’re paying for is the ability to just tap your screen and go. Convenience - plus if your environment is appropriate you can do the automatic proximity opening.

Hello All,

Like many of you who have had your M3's delivered post 5/31/19, there's no Homelink. For those of you who shelled out the extra $300 (as I have), and had it installed after delivery, what was the installation process like? How long does it take? SC or Mobile? What part of the M3 does the service technician tear into? It's seems like the module is a simple "plug into harness" installation, but where does it go? I ask these questions in advance of a "mobile service" appointment I have scheduled for next Monday, July 8th. I'm also wondering how long I will have to "hang around". Thanks for sharing your experience!
I had my Model 3 dual motor installed with Homelink Oct 23 2019 at Raleigh NC Service Center. They were EXTREMELY busy, yet it took about 90 minutes to install. I did have enormous problems with auto garage door acting erratically until I learned on this website that LED lights in the garage door motor--which I installed--was interfering with signals--put back the tungsten bulbs and, so far no more issues.

I ordered a Home Link from the online shop for my M3 for $300, which includes SC installation labor. I live in Maine about 3 hours from the nearest SC, so installation by Mobile Service was automatically indicated. and I got a call from them and we made an appointment. Its now 2 weeks later and a received an email with a service estimate that includes, before tax, a $146.25 labor charge in addition to a $300 charge for the hardware.

What is the experience of others who had Mobile Service install their Homelink? Were you billed a separate and additional installation labor charge for this?

Thanks for your experiences!

What is the experience of others who had Mobile Service install their Homelink? Were you billed a separate and additional installation labor charge for this?

I got my HomeLink installed in September or October through mobile service. It took them about 30 minutes, and there was no additional charge beyond the $300 I paid to purchase it. I'm about 90 miles away from the nearest service center.

I wrote up my HomeLink install experience: post #25 on 10/21/19 in this thread. I ordered my HomeLink same day I ordered my car. The radio box was at the delivery center well before my car. The delivery center decided to install my HomeLink 10 days later 9/09. I live about 35 miles north of my closest service center and they decided to do my install at my home (easier to test the HomeLink that way too). IMG_1234.jpeg
I had no charge for my install with the local technician (who lives about 8 miles from my home).
The complete install including all testing etc was just under 2 hours.IMG_1236.jpeg IMG_1237.jpeg IMG_1238.jpeg

I couldn't be happier unless the HomeLink icon showed up in my iPhone app (under controls). I'm told there is a software OTA update still in the works for those of us without FSD.

I live 560 miles from the nearest service center. Great communication and service from our Ranger with no charge for travel/labor. Meaning $300 total for the Homelink and install. The Ranger also installed my rear spoiler, Tesla OEM but bought off ebay, because why not, he was standing there waiting for the software to program. I did agree initially to wait for a month until the Ranger was making the local rounds. I now have the Ranger's cell number as well as that of the regional service center coordinator. They answer my calls. Good experience.

I skimmed through all the posts and if anyone is still interested in expediting the process and not afraid of a little DYI...

Here is a YouTube video I posted that should answer questions of who, what, where, when and how to get a homelink hardware module installed and software activated:

Extra thoughts:
  1. The whole process (for a Tesla newbie) took no longer than 15 minutes, including frunk removal. I find it somewhat amusing Tesla service techs removed some folks front bumpers, kind of scary actually, not for potential nicks & scratches but for all the radar sensors in the bumper that should need alignment and calibration! All that my approach required is to remove the frunk, about 5 minutes to remove and 5 minutes to replace.
  2. My semi-DIY approach will only save about $50 but minimizes Tesla interaction to scheduling a 30 minute mobile service call. When Tesla found out what I did, they rescheduled my mobile service call for a week earlier. I have no desire to put Tesla techs out of job but do enjoy showing M3 forum folks a MUCH easier way to acquire a module, 3D print a bracket I designed, install the hardware and get the software activated. Posting to thingiverse requires I give up copyright, the homelink bracket model is free to anyone with a 3D printer. My first contribution to the forum, Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year:D

Attachments

• tesla_homelink_bracket_v4.png
    tesla_homelink_bracket_v4.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: jebinc
Thanks to this forum, I got my HomeLink device installed today. The process took less than an hour. No scratches or broken plastic or anything. The technician put blue painters tape on some parts of the bumper and glass and reduce the risk of scratches 100%.

I had gotten the email saying "You will be contacted by the service center to schedule your installation" on December 5th. But nobody called me about it. So, after reading the notes in this forum, I went ahead and scheduled the appointment using the app. First available slot was on January 3rd so I took it. But yesterday Tesla called me to letting me know they had an opening today, which I accepted. All worked well in the end but I hope Tesla Shop fixes the process and keeps better track of open orders and do follow up on calling the customers!

Happy new year!

Reactions: lUtriaNt