Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a silly discussion. Many of us didn’t expect it to be included when they removed it from the Model 3 last year, so this just confirms that. If you don’t like it you can cancel your order. One could argue for $50k the premium interior should including massaging seats, heated steering wheel, HUD, and bidet but many of you are splitting hairs over an option you feel entitled to.

It's not that silly. If you agree to pay $50k for a roll of double ply toilet paper, you should not be given a roll of single ply TP. And it's not about entitlement for additional items, just the items you agreed to pay for when ordered.

It was listed as included as recently as last month let alone when I pre-ordered last year. 300.00 is not a big deal enough for me to whine and cry but I only wish Tesla would let us opt in and pay for it when confirming delivery so it is already installed upon delivery. Don’t mind using a clicker but the GPS auto open is what I want (don’t use the auto close on the MS now, maybe in the future if Tesla implement Homelink 5 status check).

02F8F619-C354-4A5B-93E9-F04BAA7F4F0B.png
It was listed as included as recently as last month let alone when I pre-ordered last year. 300.00 is not a big deal enough for me to whine and cry but I only wish Tesla would let us opt in and pay for it when confirming delivery so it is already installed upon delivery. Don’t mind using a clicker but the GPS auto open is what I want (don’t use the auto close on the MS now, maybe in the future if Tesla implement Homelink 5 status check).

Pls see above.

Reactions: Ken7
It's not that silly. If you agree to pay $50k for a roll of double ply toilet paper, you should not be given a roll of single ply TP. And it's not about entitlement for additional items, just the items you agreed to pay for when ordered.

When you preordered you agreed to Teslas terms and one of them was that the final product may change.

You don’t have to buy it and your deposit is refundable.

Not sure I see a problem, you can add it if you want.

Another option is Tailwind. I use it with the Chamberlain MyQ.
Tailwind iQ3 Smart Automatic Garage Door Controller

My wifi signal outside the garage is weak - does that mean this will not work good unless I extend the wifi signal? How is your experience with Tailwind?

My other plan is to DiY install a HomeLink module and have Tesla Mobile activate the feature for 1/2 hour labor fee ($45).

I actually practiced :eek: with my Model 3 and found a nice spot to mount the HL module without dismantling the front bumper. This spare HL module that I have worked when I plugged and mounted it behind the bumper frame/just forward of the frunk basin of my M3.
Screenshot_20200316-051551_Video Player.jpg

When you preordered you agreed to Teslas terms and one of them was that the final product may change.

You don’t have to buy it and your deposit is refundable.

Not sure I see a problem, you can add it if you want.
But c'mon, let's be honest, it was clearly shown above that this was a highlighted feature of the premium interior. It's not as if this was a 'rumored' feature, it was there in B&W. I just think it's very 'flip' to say, "Oh well, you can always cancel your order and get a refund". That's true, but it skirts the issue of what Tesla did here.

Reactions: Ciaopec
My wifi signal outside the garage is weak - does that mean this will not work good unless I extend the wifi signal? How is your experience with Tailwind?

My other plan is to DiY install a HomeLink module and have Tesla Mobile activate the feature for 1/2 hour labor fee ($45).

I actually practiced :eek: with my Model 3 and found a nice spot to mount the HL module without dismantling the front bumper. This spare HL module that I have worked when I plugged and mounted it behind the bumper frame/just forward of the frunk basin of my M3.
View attachment 522314

You don't need strong wifi signal outside your garage
Tailwinds connects to your home wifi to receive commands to open/close your garage door.
It uses bluetooth to sense your approach to the garage and it automatically opens based on your desired distance from garage.
You can detect status of garage door and open/close it from anywhere in the world

• Informative
Reactions: Nosken and RoBoRaT
But c'mon, let's be honest, it was clearly shown above that this was a highlighted feature of the premium interior. It's not as if this was a 'rumored' feature, it was there in B&W. I just think it's very 'flip' to say, "Oh well, you can always cancel your order and get a refund". That's true, but it skirts the issue of what Tesla did here.

I'm being honest .. you agreed to it if you pre-ordered .. that's the end of it .. just like all those Terms of Service that everybody agrees to without reading .. that's the agreement .. the website doesn't count.

As long as you're fine with Tesla being less than upfront with this after being promised, great. I fully understand the agreement, but there is something called ethics.

I'm not, just framing the reality of it. Tesla is no different than any other company, despite how much we all love the brand. Understand that, and if you can take the good with the bad, enjoy your Tesla!

Reactions: Scott7 and JøhP
You don't need strong wifi signal outside your garage
Tailwinds connects to your home wifi to receive commands to open/close your garage door.
It uses bluetooth to sense your approach to the garage and it automatically opens based on your desired distance from garage.
You can detect status of garage door and open/close it from anywhere in the world

Small correction - it uses the phone's GPS to detect your approach to the garage, and then uses the phone's data connection to instruct the door to open. I installed it a few weeks ago and it is working great.

Note that the wifi signal in my garage was weak, and the device connection was unstable, causing it to go offline frequently. I bought a cheap wifi router and installed it inside the garage, already had wired (via powerline) ethernet there due to solar inverter remote monitoring. Good for the Y as well once it gets there.

• Informative
Reactions: JøhP and Nosken
Small correction - it uses the phone's GPS to detect your approach to the garage, and then uses the phone's data connection to instruct the door to open. I installed it a few weeks ago and it is working great.

Note that the wifi signal in my garage was weak, and the device connection was unstable, causing it to go offline frequently. I bought a cheap wifi router and installed it inside the garage, already had wired (via powerline) ethernet there due to solar inverter remote monitoring. Good for the Y as well once it gets there.
No, you need bluetooth on your phone for it to detect your car approaching.
Turn off bluetooth on your phone and it will not automatically open the garage door.
I've had this since last May.
I was one of the lucky ones that did not get Homelink, usb cables, 14-50 adapter and HW3 cpu even though Elon said all cars built after April had HW3

No, you need bluetooth on your phone for it to detect your car approaching.
Turn off bluetooth on your phone and it will not automatically open the garage door.

Yes, that's correct. Bluetooth needs to be on on the phone, and connected to the vehicle, but that is done to avoid someone finding your phone, walking up to the garage, and then automatically opening the door. It's all in their FAQ. FAQ

TAILWIND AUTOMATICALLY OPENS MY GARAGE AS I APPROACH. SO WHAT HAPPENS IF SOMEONE STEALS MY PHONE?

The actual command to open the door still goes via the phone's data connection.

Also the same would avoid that if you walk around, then return to the house, your garage door would open. Though that could be useful in itself :)

• Informative
Reactions: JøhP
Who's to say Homelink isn't installed already, but just not activated? Remember the rear seat heaters weren't available when M3 first came out?

Some brave soul needs to crack open a MY to confirm if Homelink hardware is actually in there or not.

• Informative
Reactions: njxman
Yes, that's correct. Bluetooth needs to be on on the phone, and connected to the vehicle, but that is done to avoid someone finding your phone, walking up to the garage, and then automatically opening the door. It's all in their FAQ. FAQ

TAILWIND AUTOMATICALLY OPENS MY GARAGE AS I APPROACH. SO WHAT HAPPENS IF SOMEONE STEALS MY PHONE?

The actual command to open the door still goes via the phone's data connection.

Also the same would avoid that if you walk around, then return to the house, your garage door would open. Though that could be useful in itself :)
I think you are not quite understanding how it works
You said GPS is used for auto/open.
I said Bluetooth is used for auto/.open
Bluetooth is used to pair with your cars so it knows which door to open if you had two cars and two garage doors.
If someone gets a hold of your phone they do not need bluetooth to open the door automatically, they can just open the app and manually open the door, provided you did not lock your phone.
You can say the FAQ is misleading or does not answer the question fully

Who's to say Homelink isn't installed already, but just not activated? Remember the rear seat heaters weren't available when M3 first came out?

Some brave soul needs to crack open a MY to confirm if Homelink hardware is actually in there or not.

We will find out soon...:(
Picking up MYP today...:D

I will go as far as removing the frunk, not the bumper as I did on my 3 yesterday.

Homelink

If the HomeLink module is in the same location as in the M3, I should be able to "feel" it without removing the front bumper. If the module is not there, at least I will locate the connector's dead end.

I think you are not quite understanding how it works
You said GPS is used for auto/open.
I said Bluetooth is used for auto/.open
Bluetooth is used to pair with your cars so it knows which door to open if you had two cars and two garage doors.
If someone gets a hold of your phone they do not need bluetooth to open the door automatically, they can just open the app and manually open the door, provided you did not lock your phone.
You can say the FAQ is misleading or does not answer the question fully
Ok, let's say we are both correct here. GPS is used for knowing when to open the door (hence the 'ft away' setting in the app), and bluetooth is used to enable that functionality (it only works if you are connected to the BT device you've configured in the app).