Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hong Kong Tesla Model S Charging Standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
one year late, I just received an email from Tesla HK charging team that the 32amp 3 phase wall charger is now available and will be couriered to me this week. Now I'm excited!!!

Do you mind to measure the dimension of the 2nd generation 3-phases wall connector and share a few pictures of it? As i'm working on the HPWC installation and need to tailor made a stainless steel box for it. Many thanks.

How quick will be the difference compare to the 40A charger?
It's supposed to double the charge to 90km/hr from 45km/hr

- - - Updated - - -

Do you mind to measure the dimension of the 2nd generation 3-phases wall connector and share a few pictures of it? As i'm working on the HPWC installation and need to tailor made a stainless steel box for it. Many thanks.
Sure! I'll post the dimensions when I get mine. Hopefully Tesla won't screw me on this like they always have done in the past......

Finally received my 32 amp 3 phase wall charger today and surprisingly, the dimensions are different from the 1st generation 40A somehow. Best of all, the actual wall charger now allows the charge head to be plugged into it on the side while it's not in use, thereby rendering the old 1st generation black cord dangler and plug redundant. Good thinking finally. Hope it fits though without all that European/Asian/US plug standard crap as I have yet to install the entire rig yet.

IMG_9542.JPG
1st Generation

IMG_9541.JPG
2nd Generation

As i'm working on the HPWC installation and need to tailor made a stainless steel box for it. Many thanks.

two things i'd suggest regarding a box to surround the charger

1. you need a hold in the bottom of the box, so that rain water doesn't gather inside
2. it'd be very nice to have a hole/gap large enough for the charge cable, so that you can full close the door of the box whilst charging. my box doesn't have that and i'm forced to keep the door open and swinging whilst charging. it sucks to know the door's just swinging to the strong wind when you have your car plugged in.

Why use a box at all? The charger is weather proof.

The older 40A single phase wall connector was rated IP 44 (objects >1 mm, and splashing of water only).

The new 32A three phase wall connector is rated IP 55, which is pretty good (mostly dust and water jets protected).

For the 32A three phase wall connector, if your cabinet is <=IP55 rating, there is little point (apart from the lock), imho.

I've actually got a charging station question (in reverse) - for HK's standard charging station (low-speed charging) equipped with British standard BS1363 13A socket (which looks like the standard 3-pin socket at home), can I use this to power small home appliance such as vacuum cleaner, tire pump, expresso machine, etc.?

I believe as measured by no. installed, this is the vast majority of the charging stations in HK.

Thanks.

Question I have is why bother with the Tesla wall plug charger at home, if you are going to charge overnight anyway - isn't it cheaper to install the slow Euro/UK plugpoint in your car park rather than the hi voltage installation for the Tesla Wall Charger? No need for 95 km/h charging if your car is going to be charging for at least 8 hours every night anyway?

Question I have is why bother with the Tesla wall plug charger at home, if you are going to charge overnight anyway - isn't it cheaper to install the slow Euro/UK plugpoint in your car park rather than the hi voltage installation for the Tesla Wall Charger? No need for 95 km/h charging if your car is going to be charging for at least 8 hours every night anyway?

A few reasons:
  • The BS1363 plug will overheat, get brittle, and need replacing if used every night for EV charging.
  • The BS1363 plug + big blue mobile EVSE combination is ugly.
  • Easier to use an EVSE fixed on the wall. Don't need to deal with locking it up after each charge.
  • A proper EVSE on the wall is more robust, stable, and will last longer.
  • It is less efficient to charge at 10A vs 32A (especially in summer with aircon and/or fans running in the car to cool the battery).

Reactions: 808?