Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hong Kong Tesla Model S Charging Standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've posted this before but can't remember on which thread. Here it is: https://www2.unece.org/wiki/download/attachments/12058681/EVE-07-14e.pdf?api=v2

I've seen that, thank you, but unfortunately it doesn't answer the questions:

- Are the mechanical dimensions such that the connectors will actually mate? If not, you need another cable.

- Is the pilot pin protocol the same? That chart claims "voltage detection" vs. "current detection", but if they've chosen the same resistor values on the car side it doesn't actually matter.
If the protocol is actually different however, it's more of a problem.

I just got some updates from Tesla Motors representative. Here are the highlights (Basically the message is the same as #1)

1. Charging standard is the European EV standard IEC 62196.
EuropeanStandard.jpg

2. UMC has safety concern.
3. We are responsible for obtaining the necessary permits and the installation of the Wall Connector.

This afternoon, had a look at the i8 and i3 with a lengthy talk to the BMW i sales manager about charging in Hong Kong. As per his statement, BMW will:
- ship both cars with a BS1363 13A connector, but suggest the user to get their BS1363 socket tested before using it. They strongly recommend installing their wallbox as charging solution
- negotiate with the buyer's owner's committee and building management about installing a BMW wallbox (Tesla, are you listening?)
- install fast chargers in shopping malls. They might be Tesla compatible if HK Teslas will really be as per the European standard

Sales of both cars exceeded their expectation and it really looks like the EV idea in HK gets momentum.

Yes. The first and only right hand drive in the world at the moment. Stunning! Unfortunately viewing only for buyers who made a down payment already. Went with a friend who ordered one.

Oh. But yea it definitely has the looks and the luxury, although in terms of performance and green-ness the Model S makes much more sense. May I ask how much is it selling in HK if that's ok? I just want to have an idea.

UK Tesla website just updated their page about charging (Tesla Charging | Tesla Motors), and I found two interesting things. The first one is UK version Model S can no longer charge with mobile connector. Seems the overheating problem of BS1363 is not just happens in Hong Kong... Second thing is the delivery time of high power wall connecter has changed from late 2014 to 2015. Since UK and HK's power system are so similar, there is a high possibility Hong Kong version HPWC will delays too.

Sad to see that the Tesla HK is not going to support the most common way of charging (13A) for the Model S as I was told it works fine before I placed the order online in early March.
My parking space is just right in front of the doorway so I am not taking any risk charging it overnight via the 13A Socket.
Since I have zero knowledge on electric circuit / connector / charger even I have read all the posts on this thread but before I cancel my order and ask for a refund I would like to ask all CHING here if below 2 things in my front yard mounted on the wall would help charging??
20140504_222624.jpg
20140504_222638.jpg

If you live in a house and have your own driveway/garage to park your car, then simply install the 32A wallbox which Tesla will be providing along with the car on a wall. It shouldn't be an issue. 13A sockets are just the least desirable option for those who live in apartment estates and are finding it difficult get approval from the owners' committee/management to install the wallbox/anything at their parking space.

You need to realize that car charging infrastructure isn't installed everywhere yet. Almost every person who buys an electric car for the first time needs to install some way of charging their car. This isn't unique to Hong Kong. It also applies to the US and Europe. As a new electric car owner you need to hire an electrician and do a little bit of work first.

I would have though any buyer would have researched what he was buying first. You can download the installation manual for the wall connector and give it it an electrician to install the wall unit.

Do you realize that charging with 13a is virtually obsolete? It would take 30 hours to charge from 0 to max range. The wall unit can reduce that to 10. The superchargers will reduce that to 45 min or so.

Sad to see that the Tesla HK is not going to support the most common way of charging (13A) for the Model S as I was told it works fine before I placed the order online in early March.
My parking space is just right in front of the doorway so I am not taking any risk charging it overnight via the 13A Socket.
Since I have zero knowledge on electric circuit / connector / charger even I have read all the posts on this thread but before I cancel my order and ask for a refund I would like to ask all CHING here if below 2 things in my front yard mounted on the wall would help charging??

I think the general recommendation now, for those with their own parking in front of their own house, but little technical knowledge, is to just give HK ev power (Hong Kong EV Power Limited) a call. Tesla will provide a Wall Connector with the car, and HK EV power can arrange to install that on the wall of your parking area for you. The Wall Connector is very flexible and can be configured to work from your existing household/garage electrical box (from either of a 16A, 20A, 40A or 50A circuit breaker).