Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Houston, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a contract to sell my condo in the Houston inner loop. I will need to move to an apartment until my new condo is constructed 2 years from now. I am having difficulty figuring out how I can live in an apartment with a Chevrolet Volt and a Tesla Model S. Does anybody have recommendations for charging options? I prefer to live near my current location.

I received a contract to sell my condo in the Houston inner loop. I will need to move to an apartment until my new condo is constructed 2 years from now. I am having difficulty figuring out how I can live in an apartment with a Chevrolet Volt and a Tesla Model S. Does anybody have recommendations for charging options? I prefer to live near my current location.
Do a lot of shopping at the HEB on Buffalo Speedway or Alabama and charge your Model S at the CHAdeMO while your there?

IF you are resolved that an apartment is the route you need to go, Number one Option would be to enlist a realtor who could assist you locating an apartment that has charging WITH a specific unit or parking space that has access to an 50 amp outlet (or maybe an apartment/condo with a garage?)

Or perhaps you do a long term (2 year) lease/rent on a house?
I have an aunt in North Houston (inside the Loop), and she is planning to move out of her house.
Might not be exactly close to where you are looking to remain though.

I have looked @ plugshare.com for Houston, and there are lots of places to plug in.
So you could use a CHAdeMO adaptor or the other Option which brings me to...

You may not even have to worry about charging your Tesla at home (much longer), as it appears Houston will soon have its very own Supercharger.
You might be getting one of those memos from Elon though.

Charging the Volt is another thing.
Maybe have your office building (where you work) install an outlet?

IF you are resolved that an apartment is the route you need to go, Number one Option would be to enlist a realtor who could assist you locating an apartment that has charging WITH a specific unit or parking space that has access to an 50 amp outlet (or maybe an apartment/condo with a garage?)

Or perhaps you do a long term (2 year) lease/rent on a house?
I have an aunt in North Houston (inside the Loop), and she is planning to move out of her house.
Might not be exactly close to where you are looking to remain though.

I have looked @ plugshare.com for Houston, and there are lots of places to plug in.
So you could use a CHAdeMO adaptor or the other Option which brings me to...

You may not even have to worry about charging your Tesla at home (much longer), as it appears Houston will soon have its very own Supercharger.
You might be getting one of those memos from Elon though.

Charging the Volt is another thing.
Maybe have your office building (where you work) install an outlet?
Actually the Volt is no problem because I can operate it with the ICE or use a 110 volt outlet to charge it. I don't live far from the Galleria and can also use Tesla chargers there.

As we like to travel a lot, we prefer having a high rise or mid rise building where we can close the door and forget about our residence.

CORRECTED DATE: Very short notice, but Thursday (2 July) the Ben & Jerry's Model S will be at the Tesla Westchase service center between 11am and 1pm! Stop by for free ice cream!

https://twitter.com/TeslaMotors/status/615913725317353472

Ben and Jerry's Model S.jpg

Note: Tesla removed their original tweet and updated it with a corrected date.

Last edited:
With all this rain we've been having in Houston, I finally realized my windshield wipers make more noise than they should. A creaking noise, not an aged rubber blade on glass squeak. My 2001 Ford Ranger have quieter wipers that my Model S. Any one else have this problem?

Keep in mind the Houston service center zones a very wide area to get the count (i.e. "Greater Houston" at one point included New Orleans). That said, cars arrive every day and the vast majority of cars are split between Dallas, Houston, and Austin/San Antonio. I could believe a thousand in both 'real' Houston and Dallas with the balance in AUS/SAN. Could also be some difference between where people register it and where they actually keep it (perhaps insurance is more expensive in Harris County so they register the car to the lake house?). Or delay in county reporting data. Tesla Service Centers have the list of actual VINs they are responsible for (along with state mandated folders with paper service records) so I figure they have a pretty accurate count (more accurate than the government anyway) unless they don't immediately remove ones that are wrecked or sold from the count.

Keep in mind the Houston service center zones a very wide area to get the count (i.e. "Greater Houston" at one point included New Orleans). That said, cars arrive every day and the vast majority of cars are split between Dallas, Houston, and Austin/San Antonio. I could believe a thousand in both 'real' Houston and Dallas with the balance in AUS/SAN. Could also be some difference between where people register it and where they actually keep it (perhaps insurance is more expensive in Harris County so they register the car to the lake house?). Or delay in county reporting data. Tesla Service Centers have the list of actual VINs they are responsible for (along with state mandated folders with paper service records) so I figure they have a pretty accurate count (more accurate than the government anyway) unless they don't immediately remove ones that are wrecked or sold from the count.
Or they exaggerate.

It may still include New Orleans - while we may have a Ranger/Service Manager solely dedicated to New Orleans our service is still technically performed out of and he technically works out of the Houston Service Center.

Louisiana has some archaic laws on the books that favor the franchise dealer status quo and seemingly prohibit a manufacturer from performing warranty or service work directly.

The post gave a figure on 1200 "in Houston". Not the territory of the Houston service center which may extend far beyond the Houston metro area and include the next state. I still maintain it's an exaggeration. Just like when I was told there were 800 Teslas in Austin and San Antonio, almost two years ago!

And the Chronicle article said the 600 was in the counties around Houston. I hate not being able to pull a direct quote but my free Google-based preview reading session must have had a one-day lifespan. :bummer:

edit: "ten-county Houston region" and this is sourced from "InfoNation, Inc."

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436721984.651444.jpg

Last edited:
It was the 40% drop from 2013 to 2014 that I was questioning.

I think the biggest reason for the drop is the initial reservation backlog. There were many of us who waited more than 2 years for the car. If 209 is 'base demand' for Houston, I would expect that number to increase as the new models arrive and visibility continues to increase (new Northside service center, new SuperChargers in Texas, new owners).