Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How accurate is your range estimate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are fairly new SR+ owners. Our 3 has less than a thousand miles so far.

Our daily commute is about 15-20 miles but it usually eats up about 60 miles of range. Is this normal?

We are not really driving the car hard. Most of the commute is stop and go traffic...

I've found it pretty accurate. Try using the Energy screen to see what is happening with energy use during your commute. Be aware that cold weather can reduce range (true of all EVs), and using heater can also have an impact (Tesla suggests relying more on seat heaters, which use less power).

I'm not clear form your post if the 60 miles actual is one way (which would be very bad) or both ways (which would be within variance for climate and driving style).

It depends on how you're observing those 60 miles going away.

Is it during the 20 mile drive? If so, that's very concerning. Even with high heat in stop & go traffic, that seems a bit high.

Is it over a 24 hour period? If so, do you have things keeping the car awake like Sentry Mode, Summon Standby, etc? Are you frequently aggressively preconditioning the cabin multiple times per day (high or low temps with long breaks in between driving)? Do you live somewhere currently very hot/cold and the battery is being actively cooled/heated while parked because it's not in a garage with a more appropriate temperature for the batteries?

EDIT: That said, until temperatures stated dipping, the rated range and estimates have been shockingly accurate or I actually get better range. With temps hitting 0C (32F) now, I'm doing about 20% less than rated on highway trips, likely significantly worse if I were doing short trips and using the air heater rather than heated seats. Which I do, because my hands get cold very easily.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat but not as extreme as your example!

I feel like I consistently get half the expected range (whether the AC is on or off).
So if a trip takes 10km in distance, the battery shows that the car having eaten up 20km of range.

Extremely accurate in mixed driving on my LR RWD over ~20k miles, as long as I'm not using the heater. I also disable all non-essential features like sentry mode and cabin overheat protection and do not use 3rd party monitoring services like TeslaFi. Once in a while, the car stays awake for hours and uses 5-10 miles of range when it's parked at home and on WiFi, I assume to analyze and upload AP data.

Good ideas. Just to answer some of the questions...

I live in Los Angeles. It’s not too hot or too cold right now. About low 80s.

The 20 miles is round trip, so if there are any range lost due to change in elevation, the round trip should even it out.

At work, it’s parked in an underground garage, so it doesn’t get too hot.

I don’t have FSD, so no summon stand by.

The main thing that might be plausible cause is sentry mode. I do have that turned on and it sits at work for 10-11 hours a day. What is the normal sentry mode drain?

The 20 miles is round trip, so if there are any range lost due to change in elevation, the round trip should even it out.

The main thing that might be plausible cause is sentry mode. I do have that turned on and it sits at work for 10-11 hours a day. What is the normal sentry mode drain?

I've heard 1 mi per hour. I've heard 5% per day, which on Long Range means... 25km, or about 15 miles. Not quite the 40 you're experiencing. Though when I left sentry on recently it was more like 10% per day (in a cold area mind you, perhaps 55F) meaning about 30 miles. When I turned it off at night, I returned to my car in the morning with the exact same range left as I left it.

Sorry to add another post.

Quick math I've heard is that having Sentry on consumes about 250W continuously. Over a 24h period, that's 6kWh. If I do some math based on the Long Range and convert to American freedom units, that's 37 miles every 24 hours. That seems very close to what you're experiencing.

Oops, messed up the mileage completely. It’s 35-40 miles round trip and eating up about 60 miles range.

So 40 miles driving plus 11 hours parked with sentry mode gets in the ball park of 60 miles. Not as bad as I was thinking...

We are coming from a 2017 BMW i3 and that car tends to UNDER estimate the amount of range left. Like there are many times when I end up with more range than what I started with...

1-2 miles per hour (yes, per hour, so your 10-11 hours on sentry mode are using somewhere between 10 to 22 miles, depending). I am not going to cover anything else about the "not getting stated range" because there is plenty of reading you can do on that topic here on this site if you want to, as the topic is brought up at least every 24-36 hours in some post or other here.

I’ll try turning off sentry mode tomorrow. Thanks for the ideas everyone.

I was just nervous that I had a defective battery or something.
Probably normal. I have mine set to percentage rather than miles, I plug in every night and I pretty much forget about it unless I'm on a road trip. Granted, I have a long range battery and I rarely drive more than 30-40 miles in a day.

If it's not going to be an issue for you to have enough range for the day, then I'd recommend just turning on Sentry Mode & cabin overheat if desired and try to ignore it.

Easier said than done, I know, at least until you get used to it. Enjoy your new car!

We are fairly new SR+ owners. Our 3 has less than a thousand miles so far.

Our daily commute is about 15-20 miles but it usually eats up about 60 miles of range. Is this normal?

We are not really driving the car hard. Most of the commute is stop and go traffic...
The range prediction is based on traveling at 54.6 miles per hour or about 230 to 250 mw average. you can see your use on th energy screen. at 5, 15, and 30 mile history. hills and grades will teach you about usage. If you are stretching range slow down. you can learn a lot from interacting with the energy display to see what makes a difference. The standby features for a day other than cabin overheat / venting don't use that much. You can observe that use from noting the range/percentage from when you park to when ou get back in. energy use especially uphill increases exponentially.

I have not rebalance my battery in a while and noticed a max range drop to 286 with the latest update. I then drove the car 244 miles at an average of 66 mph, 30 mins of rain, 55 degrees out, no aero caps on, and still had 39 miles left. 3 miles off at higher speeds I would say my max range was a little low.

Sentry if it's active can easily use more than 1 mile/hr.

Also, check your mileage range when you park, and check it when you go home. If it's Sentry draining your battery, you should be able to confirm it.

I’ll try turning off sentry mode tomorrow. Thanks for the ideas everyone.

I was just nervous that I had a defective battery or something.

Sentry is the explanation. Plus driving above the rated consumption.

For the SR+ while you are driving, you need to get 209Wh/mi to get mile-for-rated-mile rolloff of the rated miles.

To the extent that you don’t get that efficiency (or do better), and your trip meter indicates x Wh/mi, you calculate your rated mile use with the formula:

Rated miles used = Miles Traveled * x Wh/mi / 209 Wh/rmi

This is for the SR/SR+.

So for example if you get 280Wh/mi, you will use 4 rated miles for every 3 miles traveled.

For AWD use 230Wh/rmi, and for LR RWD use 223Wh/rmi, instead of 209Wh/rmi.

This formula will nearly always work perfectly, but does not take into account any losses while in park, which can be considerable, as you have found.

Last edited:
Sentry is the explanation. Plus driving above the rated consumption.

For the SR+ while you are driving, you need to get 209Wh/mi to get mile-for-rated-mile rolloff of the rated miles.

To the extent that you don’t get that efficiency (or do better), and your trip meter indicates x Wh/mi, you calculate your rated mile use with the formula:

Rated miles used = Miles Traveled * x Wh/mi / 209 Wh/rmi

This is for the SR/SR+.

So for example if you get 280Wh/mi, you will use 4 rated miles for every 3 miles traveled.

For AWD use 230Wh/rmi, and for LR RWD use 223Wh/rmi, instead of 209Wh/rmi.

This formula will nearly always work perfectly, but does not take into account any losses while in park, which can be considerable, as you have found.

Thanks. It's good to know what Tesla uses as baseline Wh/mi.