Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are Europeans liking Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel for you. I'd say 150kph is kind of the average cruising speed on the autobahn when traffic permits so having a car that maxes out at that speed is definitely not fun. I had a Golf with a 4 cylinder turbo diesel as a rental in Germany once. It maxed out at 180KPH; the nice thing was that it was reasonably pleasant at that speed and was comfortable cruising while topped out. The fastest I've ever gone on the autobahn was 240KPH in my 330i, but I did do a fair number of miles in all 3 of my Euro delivery BMWs at around 210KPH. It was very nice to be able to get from point to point so much faster in Germany.
Yep, 220kph for me in my 2001 330xi eurodelivery.

They are still terrible for me even on 5.15. So much so that I treat auto as my off position so that it takes one less touch to move it to one of the manual speeds when I need actual wiping.

I found out the genesis of this entire issue yesterday while watching videos by Tesla’s head of AI and Autopilot,
Andrej Karpathy - apparently, Elon challenged his team to use AI and video stream inputs instead of traditional rain sensors for controlling the wipers. He poked fun at the entire thing, even showing a video of someone pouring ketchup and corn flakes on the windshield to simulate rain. In the end, he concluded that it finally works pretty well. I think most of us still disagree. An improvement- yes, but still behind expectations and performance of traditional cars.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
I found out the genesis of this entire issue yesterday while watching videos by Tesla’s head of AI and Autopilot,
Andrej Karpathy - apparently, Elon challenged his team to use AI and video stream inputs instead of traditional rain sensors for controlling the wipers. He poked fun at the entire thing, even showing a video of someone pouring ketchup and corn flakes on the windshield to simulate rain. In the end, he concluded that it finally works pretty well. I think most of us still disagree. An improvement- yes, but still behind expectations and performance of traditional cars.
Personally, I think the rain detection in Model 3 is vastly better than in my Mercedes E-class. I like how it leaves some drops and only starts to wipe when it starts to affect visibility, rather than trying to remove every drop and smudging the windscreen while doing so.
My Mercedes has about 10 settings for wiper sensitivity that are all exactly the same, and I often switch it off entirely because it's wiping too much. Model 3: just perfect. Not too much, not too little.

• Disagree
Reactions: Perry
Personally, I think the rain detection in Model 3 is vastly better than in my Mercedes E-class. I like how it leaves some drops and only starts to wipe when it starts to affect visibility, rather than trying to remove every drop and smudging the windscreen while doing so.
My Mercedes has about 10 settings for wiper sensitivity that are all exactly the same, and I often switch it off entirely because it's wiping too much. Model 3: just perfect. Not too much, not too little.

I'm glad to hear its working for you; for me and others with whom I've communicated with - not so much. I find myself manually intervening with each and every rain usually due to accumulation or late-start wiping.

Reactions: Perry
I haven’t lived in Snow Country for decades now but do people not buy snow brushes any more to clean off their windows and car body?? That and ice scrapers were standard winter accessories along with winter car mats.

One of the biggest benefits of owning an EV is being able to turn the heating on remotely 10 minutes before you set off, so by the time you get to the car it has melted away all the snow and ice.

Unfortunately on the Model 3 that results in your boot getting flooded.

I haven’t lived in Snow Country for decades now but do people not buy snow brushes any more to clean off their windows and car body?? That and ice scrapers were standard winter accessories along with winter car mats.
Just don't keep the brush in your trunk. :p
One of the biggest benefits of owning an EV is being able to turn the heating on remotely 10 minutes before you set off, so by the time you get to the car it has melted away all the snow and ice.

How so? Water doesn't enter the trunk when it's closed...

Reactions: voip-ninja

This makes no sense. Stuff melting on the car doesn't get into the trunk.

I do hope that Model Y pays a bit more attention to this kind of stuff and there are some improvements in this area.

This makes no sense. Stuff melting on the car doesn't get into the trunk.

I do hope that Model Y pays a bit more attention to this kind of stuff and there are some improvements in this area.

He may have meant something else; which is that during heavy rains, or improperly cleared off snow/ice, water and sheets of snow/ice can slide down and fall into an opened trunk. When it first happened to me, I couldn't help but laugh. :) All cars of this configuration have the same basic design problem - and I suspect that the Model Y will solve it.

Totally off topic, but this thread seems to gather a few like-minded Europeans, so I'll ask here:

Have any of you had any experience with VW's newer 1.0 TSI engine? Is it any good outside of town?
I'm looking to get a car (probably a Golf) to leave at the vacation home and the engine choice seems to be between a 1.0 TSI and a 1.5 TSI ACT, both with the same max torque, with the larger (i.e. less small) engine making vaguely more power. If you've had/driven either one of these engines, would you care to comment on it?

TIA!

Picked up my car on Wednesday, and I'm glad I was not part of the March delivery hell. After hearing all the complaints in the national facebook group, the delivery rate was raised probably 10 times the normal rate and I have no idea how they managed any preparation of the cars beyond a 5-10 minute checkup. Still, most people were very pleased with their cars.
The experience for me was very smooth and the car was flawless. I used quite a bit of time to go over the car but I could not find anything wrong.
All other cars feel ancient after sitting in the Model 3, this really is Car 2.0. I can not wait to drive it and I am finding excuses to go out and drive all the time.
The car is much more spacious than I thought it would be, both inside and the trunk. Many locals want the ability to tow stuff before they pull the trigger, but I use it so seldom that I'll rather use the saved cash for home delivery.
Everyone that sees the car wants one, even the Porsche owners :)