Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how come RWD SR+ drift and fish tail a bit while driving in straight line on HWY speed on snow day?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Model 3 SR+ is my first RWD car. I have snow tire for my SR+. But yesterday while driving on HWY straight line on a snowy and icy road, it just drift and fish tail a bit almost out of my driving lane. I was driving around 56 mph. Good thing that there is no other cars around but it was a surprise experience. Anyone had similar experience? Is it because torque of RWD is all coming from the rear wheel so it may slip when road is icy? Wondering what is best way to avoid this experience in the future. Thank you.
It’s because the only driven wheels are the rear and they’re pushing toward the lazy front end so as soon as one rear wheel sees a bit more traction than the other you get slippage. Also tilt in the roadway will play a part. With all wheel drive, the rear wheels still push but the front wheels pull so keep things straight. That’s until you lose all traction, then direction is anyone’s guess. When you apply power if a rear wheels lose traction and spins it’s as if that wheel is now on ice with no traction at all. Winter tires help, they’re stickier in cold weather, and have tread patterns that release tread entrapped snow and ice. Summer tires get hard below 40F so don‘t grab the road as well and entrapped snow and ice isn’t released from the tread pattern nearly as well, so the tread pattern becomes functionally smooth, often just when you didn’t want it to. Oversteer is when the car turns more than you intended with your steering input. Understeer is when it plows ahead straighter than it should with the wheel turned. Snow with summer tires generally gives you wicked oversteer. Glare ice gives you bad news understeer.

If you are sliding and fishtailing, you’re driving too fast. It only takes one bad oversteer event followed by a patch of ice or a jumbo pothole and you and your car may explore one of the ditches on the side of the road. There are lots of car bending things in ditches. If you are having an especially bad day, someone else driving too fast may do the same thing at that same patch, and attempt to occupy your same ditch resting spot . If that happens, both cars merge together into one big wrinkly car.

It’s because the only driven wheels are the rear and they’re pushing toward the lazy front end so as soon as one rear wheel sees a bit more traction than the other you get slippage. Also tilt in the roadway will play a part. With all wheel drive, the rear wheels still push but the front wheels pull so keep things straight.
AWD Tesla Model 3's are RWD unless you are at really high powers or the system detects a spinning rear wheel. It's not the same as mechanical AWD. The front end doesn't "pull" until something bad has already happened.

AWD Tesla Model 3's are RWD unless you are at really high powers or the system detects a spinning rear wheel. It's not the same as mechanical AWD. The front end doesn't "pull" until something bad has already happened.
So the back end of your AWD 3 gets skittish in snow? My S seems pretty solid. I don’t drive it fast in snow, though. I don’t want to bend it.

baseless claim
It's not a baseless claim, it's 100% clear to anyone that datalogs their car driving around. All the power goes to the rear axle in normal cruise. My M3P doesn't even dip into the front axle until about 300HP of output.

There's whole threads about this, such as these:

Reactions: XPsionic
All AWD system on Earth have reactive system meaning car needs to detect the wheel slippage before react to counter that slip. Good AWD system can react to the event better than the poorly managed system. If Tesla's AWD system is bad, you would see a lot of Tesla cars in a ditch like Mustangs. LOL
Even RWD Tesla cars handle snow condition way better than other AWD cars on the market.

All AWD system on Earth have reactive system meaning car needs to detect the wheel slippage before react to counter that slip. Good AWD system can react to the event better than the poorly managed system. If Tesla's AWD system is bad, you would see a lot of Tesla cars in a ditch like Mustangs. LOL
Even RWD Tesla cars handle snow condition way better than other AWD cars on the market.
Subaru. Not saying it's not reactive because that's really general word but they are awd full time.

Reactions: XPsionic
I haven’t seen the claim for a while but we were told a few years ago there was a difference in the 2 motors and the car selected the most power efficient motor for the current conditions. This would imply sometimes the car is front wheel driven and sometimes rear wheel driven. It seems the driving characteristics should be different if the car changed from one to the other. Now I wonder if there was any truth to this claim.

I haven’t seen the claim for a while but we were told a few years ago there was a difference in the 2 motors and the car selected the most power efficient motor for the current conditions. This would imply sometimes the car is front wheel driven and sometimes rear wheel driven. It seems the driving characteristics should be different if the car changed from one to the other. Now I wonder if there was any truth to this claim.
The permanent magnet motors are slightly more efficient, which is why the Model 3/Y prefers the rear motor and Raven generation Model S/X preferred the front motor. Model 3/Y have a permanent magnet motor in the rear, and an induction motor in the front. It's reversed in the Raven generation Model S/X. Before the Raven Model S/X both their motors were induction motors with different gear ratios, and I'm not sure if there was a preferred motor. On the latest Plaid generation at least one or two of the motors are permanent magnet, but I'm not sure of the configuration.

Hello all,

Model 3 SR+ is my first RWD car. I have snow tire for my SR+. But yesterday while driving on HWY straight line on a snowy and icy road, it just drift and fish tail a bit almost out of my driving lane. I was driving around 56 mph. Good thing that there is no other cars around but it was a surprise experience. Anyone had similar experience? Is it because torque of RWD is all coming from the rear wheel so it may slip when road is icy? Wondering what is best way to avoid this experience in the future. Thank you.
Same issue with my 2014 MS85 which is RWD. I put snow tires on and drive super carefully from Dec to late Apr each year, leaving in MD. Luck for me my car is old enough that I can lower regen and put in chill mode for the winter months. Still I drive carefully, easy onto the accelerator and easy on and off the brakes. Even if the rear end steps out a bit traction control will kick in and help a lot. Still always makes me nervous, especially when I have my family in the car. Hahah and I use to race on the track in my old S2000. These cars have a lot of power being sent to only the rear wheels. Respect it and you will be fine. Have fun and stay safe out there.