Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I disable the noisemaker in my Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you disable the noisemaker, and you hit a pedestrian who doesn't hear you coming, you will lose in court if you are sued.

If you hit pedestrian who didn't hear you coming, you're getting sued anyway, with or without a PWD and will likely lose anyway, because that's the law.

And even with a PWD, a pedestrian might not "hear" you coming if they are focused on their phone or have headphones on.

I'm a big fan of the PWD to manually alert people who can't hear my car to GET OUT OF MY F***ING WAY!

It's usefulness (i.e. in the 'always on under 19mph' mode) to prevent pedestrian accidents is dubious, at best.

Reactions: nvx1977
legislature is for the car makers to install it on current and future builds (just like what happened with backup cameras), doesn't pertain to owners that remove it, otherwise it would be required to retrofit all existing models that didn't have it.

try putting duct tape over it?

I heard the sound for the first time in the wild yesterday in the parking structure at work. The forward sound isn't so bad (kind of like loud road noise), but the reverse sound is incredibly annoying. Hopefully none of my neighbors gets a new Model 3 anytime soon. :confused: Assuming the sound can be changed by software like everything else in the Tesla, I hope that Tesla offers alternative sounds that still meet the legal requirements in a future firmware update.

Assuming the sound can be changed by software like everything else in the Tesla, I hope that Tesla offers alternative sounds that still meet the legal requirements in a future firmware update.

The current US law specifically forbids changing the sound once it has been delivered. Though they are currently taking comments on adjusting the law to allow the driver to select from multiple sounds.

This conversation makes me realize a topic I’ve heard very little about: hacking. I seem to recall that a while back Tesla invited people to hack the car, and it was difficult. Which is good, of course. As an owner, I don’t want anyone but Tesla in that OS. But that doesn’t usually stop the intrepid hacker from trying. And one “solution” to the slow-speed noises would be to hack in and replace the sound files. Of course, you’d probably have to repeat the hack with each software update.

No, I’m not going to try.