Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I keep the doors unlocked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to keep the doors unlocked w/o having it auto-lock? I have tried various options and combinations on the control panel but it seems to auto-lock when the fob is not within its perimeter of detection. It's really annoying to have to bring the fob with you each time you want to get into the car even if it's your own home.

Is it possible to keep the doors unlocked w/o having it auto-lock? I have tried various options and combinations on the control panel but it seems to auto-lock when the fob is not within its perimeter of detection. It's really annoying to have to bring the fob with you each time you want to get into the car even if it's your own home.

What about leaving the fob in the car?

You can turn off auto lock. Is that what you wanted? If you leave the fob in the car, fob battery will run fast.

Yes. You park, get out, press twice on the top (roof) of the fob. And then you can put your fob in the house away from the garage area.

Car stays unlocked all day. Handles will retract, but anytime thereafter you go to the garage and just touch handle and it pops out and you're in. Don't need the fob.

If you decide to charge (plug in) in this mode, the charge ring will stay lit green, instead of going dark. And the instrument cluster will remain lit showing charge status.. instead of going dark. So you can glance in through the window to see how it's doing rather than having to use the App.

Last edited:
also is it possible to have doors unlocked while driving at slow speeds? mine deals with carpool concerns when someone opens my door to let my kids out. pain to come to a complete stop before the helper can open the door...

Thanks for the double-click on the top of the fob suggestion, everyone. I'll try it and see what happens. It'll be a pain to have to remember every time but I should be able to get into the habit.

I wouldn't leave the fob in the car for various reasons although I have left it in there on accident a couple of times.

Bump...

Thought this is what i did to keep my S unlocked in the garage but it is now not working. As soon as the handles retract, the car is locked. This is after i double click the key fob to unlock the car.

Any idea if im doing something wrong? Or did a random update cancel this feature?

1: unlock car with key fob. Handles extend.
2: handles retract after a few moments.
3. Car will not open without key fob...

It's not you, now we just wonder if Tesla is crazy for changing this behaviour !?!

Why would they remove the "keeping the car unlocked" feature??

This is a bug that must be fixed. It is unsafe to assume the car "wants to be locked" after user has explicitly "unlocked the car" using the remote fob. It shall remain unlocked, with or without the fob being nearby. It's that simple.

Is the only way to prevent the car from auto-re-locking after remote unlock command to turn off the "lock after walking away" feature? Anybody tried and can comment on that... before I go an try myself tonight in the garage .. ?

Last edited: