Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you know what Supercharging speed you will get w/o plugging in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used the new SC in Florida City today and a cop was giving tickets to not one but two cars that had illegally parked there.

I was the only Tesla there, and my sweep got no higher than 180 MPH, when in the exact same situation last week, the charge rate reached 350, so I dont understand the variance.

• Informative
Reactions: LoL Rick
I used the new SC in Florida City today and a cop was giving tickets to not one but two cars that had illegally parked there.

I was the only Tesla there, and my sweep got no higher than 180 MPH, when in the exact same situation last week, the charge rate reached 350, so I dont understand the variance.
What was your state of charge -- what percentage of rated miles did you have left both times at the time you started charging? I'm assuming your car was warm -- had been driven for a half hour or whatever before pulling into the supercharger (is that assumption correct?).

Good for the police!!

I'm hoping (and expecting) that one of these days I'll wake up to find that little yellow alarm clock on the top bar, and the next time I go to a Supercharger it'll recommend a stall, and show me which one it is on a pop-up map of the site.

This is what I want. It is super frustrating to go to a Supercharger for the first time and have to figure out which stalls are paired and what the orientation is for each stall. It's especially hard when cars are there, so you can't see the stall numbers on the bottom. Or situations where the paired stalls are separated by enclosures (like at Gilroy). It would be so helpful to have pop-up maps of the sites, even if they don't have stall recommendations.

You can learn a lot on how your BMS in your car works and what it tells the super charger to give you by watching this video on you tube. Each battery pack is different. 90'sare different than 85's which are different from 100's for instance. I learned a lot and made a chart so I can now plot each supercharger on my chart. Each chart varies slightly but now I know what to expect.
Thanks to Bjorn.
Restricted supercharger speed on 90 kWh pack explained
Bjørn Nyland 6,691 views

• Disagree
Reactions: Naonak
You don't. Yet.

Tesla knows the status of all of the stalls in (near) real time - which ones are damaged, which ones have a paired car that's drawing a lot, which cars are almost done and drawing next to nothing.

I'm hoping (and expecting) that one of these days I'll wake up to find that little yellow alarm clock on the top bar, and the next time I go to a Supercharger it'll recommend a stall, and show me which one it is on a pop-up map of the site.

When several are empty and not degraded, Tesla can use some sort of load leveling algorithm to balance the wear. When everything is shared, it'll point to the one with the highest power available.

Tesla is going to have to be digitizing the sites and setting up a method of picking for the FSDC demonstration at the end of the year anyway - why not include it in a general firmware update as a way to streamline and improve efficiency and decrease the hassle of switching from stall to stall?

This can be tied into an automatic sequencing/reservation system for overloaded sites, too - based on order of arrival, it gives you a "place in line" on the center screen - maybe even an estimated wait time if enough of the cars are running on Nav routings.

Another bonus for Tesla is they can use the same data they use for this to automatically detect and report stalls that have issues.

One challenge will be how this sort of system handles ICE'd stalls. Maybe they give you a button that says "not accessible" or something like that in the pop up, and it gives you another stall recommendation?

If a bunch of folks hit the blocked button on the same stall over a period of time, Tesla can talk to someone about towing...

Now that we know they can grab a picture out of the AP2 hardware... pull up behind the "blocked" stall and click unavailable. It can also upload a photo. At least they could identify the Tesla by GPS and confirm by photo...

Tesla should know which stalls are being used - and which ones will have degraded charging.

Tesla should have the GPS locations of each of the stalls.

When approaching a supercharger, a pop-up window could be displayed recommending the stall to use.

And if navigation is enabled, the supercharger GPS location could be updated to that stall.

Tesla should also build into the console the ability to report problems with the superchargers - such as damaged handle, blocked parking spot (such as with construction or vehicles blocking access) or someone parked in a spot without being connected.

And, this should be done before Tesla starts seeing an influx of Model 3 owners - who just want this to work easily...

Reactions: smilepak