Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you live with the wind/tire noise? Comparing to Model S.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it still is hit and miss, on a per-build basis, it seems.

until they have a few straight quarters of problem-free builds, I will continue to think of this as an inconsistent build process.

the wind noise I have is not a showstopper and the panels fit well enough on my older 3, but in the last year and a half, the build quality has not gotton better, lets just say that. overall, if you look at how many are not 100%. and its not asking a lot to be at either 5 nines or a full 100% for NVH issues.

they need to attack this at two sides: the design, the parts and the build levels. (oops, that's 3 things. I'll fix that with an edit next time around, lol)

I have driven around 6 pre 2021 Model 3’s, my 2020 was one of the quieter ones so I don’t think it is just due to inconsistent build quality, the difference is really noticable. I doubt the acoustic glass does much for tire noise but something is clearly different, everyone who has been in the car has noted it is much quieter. Some of which test drove a Model 3 at Tesla previously and passed it over because of the noise, one of them now ordered a Model Y because of how much better my new 3 was.

With @Ofarlig being from Sweden, I wonder if he has a made in China M3. Those apparently have way better and more consistent build quality (ironically).

Nope, US made LR. I might notice the difference in tire noise more though due to our rough asphalt in part due to many people using studded tires in the winter. You guys in the US may have pot holes from hell but the surface is much smother than ours (at least in the places I have been).

It is impressive for its price, just like the Model S. But, it’s not a $30k car, it’s easily a $50k car at the low end (and $40k+ even if you’re willing to skimp on range).

You are talking about what they sell it for... but as @UncertainTimes points out, the battery itself tesla charges like 16k for, as a replacement, and thats with a core charge.

The battery is like 20k, so subtract 20k from the price of the car, and you have a roughly 30k car, which is what its pretty much built like.

It is impressive for its price, just like the Model S. But, it’s not a $30k car, it’s easily a $50k car at the low end (and $40k+ even if you’re willing to skimp on range).

if the model 3 had a gas engine it would be $12-$15k cheaper. Build quality and materials are similar to a Kia from 5 years ago. Tesla made it minimalistic to save costs and make it look nicer than it actually is. People think it’s a luxury car due to price but it’s not the case. Batteries are expensive.

model 3 is an economy car with great tech and batteries. If you think otherwise you are fooling yourself.

I’ve rented a Model 3 and a Model S for some weekend trips and the noise difference between the two was immense! The MS was almost whisper quiet and enjoyable for a 8+ hour drive. The M3 was loud from the get go and an ever present intolerance.

Music obviously helps, but for those that own both, how do you deal with such a large noise difference?

My signature shows my solution, buy the Model S 😂 But, for a second car down the line, I was considering a M3 or MY for my partner, but can’t justify it with the noise.
We have two 2018 performance model 3s, and the highway wind and Road noise was the first real objection I had to anything about the car. We did the RPM rubber tubing, amplified that with some additional tubing, dynamatted the doors and the rear section of the car, and put closed cell foam in a bunch of places including the wheel wells. Then we put second layer of door jamb rubber around the doors, Collectively all these things made a big difference and the doors now shut with a solid thunk instead of the tinny noise that they used to show. But it was a lot of work.

Last edited:
Reactions: play150
We have two 2018 performance model 3s, and the highway wind and Road noise was the first real objection I had to anything about the car. We did the RPM rubber tubing, amplified that with some additional tubing, dynamatted the doors and the rear section of the car, and put closed cell foam in a bunch of places including the wheel wells. Then we put second layer of door jamb rubber around the doors, Collectively all these things made a big difference and the doors now shut with a solid thunk instead of the tinny noise that they used to show. But it was a lot of work.
You should do a youtube video on it haha

if the model 3 had a gas engine it would be $12-$15k cheaper. Build quality and materials are similar to a Kia from 5 years ago. Tesla made it minimalistic to save costs and make it look nicer than it actually is. People think it’s a luxury car due to price but it’s not the case. Batteries are expensive.

model 3 is an economy car with great tech and batteries. If you think otherwise you are fooling yourself.
Yeah that's why it's able to beat Porsche 911s around the racetrack. it's just an economy car with some nice tech if you think otherwise you're just fooling yourself.

My 2021 is as noisy as all the other older M3s I've driven. The double-pane front windows didn't quiet it for crap. Or at least it's so little that is not noticeable. And it's the lack of door frame. Plus the way Tesla did the sealing of the windows; it's the worst vehicle with frameless doors I've owned as far as wind noise. My ex 2019 Mustang Bullitt was whisper quiet by comparison. Tesla really screwed the pooch with that IMO. And yes, it's coming from the top of the window, not the window itself (that's why double-pane didn't make a difference). And yes, road noise is quite annoying too. We bought the car expecting to be comfortable for traveling, which we used for 3 long trips already, but no more. I just bought an ICE car for that. For many trips where we live, there are no superchargers, so a 150-mile detour was needed. And the extra time spend charging was annoying as well, although manageable when superchargers were available. Like my wife said, it's really a city car, so that's what it is now. You can travel if needed, especially on interstates, but it's not pleasant.

As far as the model S, the last I drove was a 2020 P, and it was also noisier than I expected, so didn't consider one. I can tolerate that on a $50K car, but not on a $80K one. The door seals are the same as the model 3, for what I could tell. The only slight difference is electronic noise cancellation, but it only works so much. I'm curious to try it on a 2021 one of these days, but there's only so much they can do. At least the road noise is less on the S, but it should be quieter IMO. Tesla shouldn't have cheaped-out on door frames at least on the S IMO. Oh well.

Got a 2019 loaner the other day, so got another data point when comparing my Q2 2021. Road and tire noise was a lot higher than my new one (slightly worse than my 2020 model), wind noise was about as non existent as the new one so I think the slightly higher wind noise in my 2020 one was due to a bad mount of the glass roof.

All in all, tried many Model 3s now and the Q2 2021 is a lot quieter than all of them.

Reactions: hcdavis3