Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you set up your Tesla for long trips? Sunglasses, coolers and app selections oh my!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

buttershrimp

Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode
Supporting Member
Jun 17, 2017
ATX
For all the serious road trippers and hypermilers out there, I'm wondering how you set up their car for a long road trip?

I've been inspired by some folks on the thread who've installed espresso machines in their car, and other seemingly random but ingeniouos setups.

How do you all set your Tesla up for some serious tripping?

Anything and everything should be considered.... sunglass choices, footwear, coolers, caffeine, weapons and pee bags, road flares, and music choices, phone holders and Waze setups, websites for weather and tips and tricks.... How do you roll? Please describe in Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing Format.... the bats swooping and hollering...

Cooler in front, sleeping bag or air mattress, pillow. Rest is normal. Most super charger sites are near restaurants. I have been 6k miles traveling USA, it's hard to think you will have to stop in 200 miles to charge, once your brain gets it. You just enjoy no noise, gas, just pleasure.

Reactions: buttershrimp
Don't forget paper towels and window cleaner, because you will not be pulling up to the pumps!
I would second that. And I also carry a spray bottle of Bug and Tar remover.
I also have a J772 extension cord in case of "ice-ing" but have never used it. And a Chademo adapter.
And I have multiple labelled USB flash drives with lots of interesting podcasts because I generally like them better than music. (There are several good weekly Tesla podcasts, in fact) I find paying attention to an interview or lecture keeps me awake better than music.

Cooler in front, sleeping bag or air mattress, pillow. Rest is normal. Most super charger sites are near restaurants. I have been 6k miles traveling USA, it's hard to think you will have to stop in 200 miles to charge, once your brain gets it. You just enjoy no noise, gas, just pleasure.
Yes. Pillow is a great idea. I have one of those big crescent shaped nursing pillows, works great when trying to nap in the front seat while someone else is driving. And I have used soft earplugs then as well.

We bought our Model S in large part for road trips: we travel a lot, absolutely HATE United Airlines -- pretty much our only option in rural Colorado -- and thus have put 20,000 miles on our Model S in 8 months.

Absolutely agree on glass cleaner! It was the first thing I bought on my first road trip, since I didn't think of it before I hit the road. I leave it in the frunk. First road trip report: 23 Days: 4400 miles

I'm really liking the Invisible Glass brand wipes, since ONE of them effectively cleans the entire windshild, and at <$4 they're so cheap that Amazon will only sell a one-pack (cannister of 28 wipes) as an "add-on item" (you have to buy something else first). I also got a can of the spray cleaner in case the windshield is really gunked up with bugs: make it easy to add just a bit more of the cleaner to make sure you can power through the gunk with one wipe. Just dissolves the sticky crud.

Before I hit the road, I plot my route using EVTripPlanner, then let the car's nav get me from charger to charger, so I can watch the predicted charge reserve at each destination. I always add extra reserve when there's wind, cold, or precipitation, all of which use more energy than the base prediction. If it looks too tight, just slow down.

When superchargers are close together, it's nice to be able to skip one; an extra 10 minutes of charge where you are might save you 30 minutes by skipping the next one.

I usually take a gallon of good drinking water to refill my insulated water bottle with water I know is good. When overnighting at a hotel, I'll fill the bottle with ice at the hotel (almost always filtered), which lasts for a couple of days in the insulated bottle, even when adding more water.

Usually, in addition to a suitcase, I'll also carry a small duffel with just overnight stuff in it, so I don't always have to haul in the suitcase. Shaving supplies, quick change of clothes, etc. is enough until I get to my destination. I take that, and my backpack (which has my laptop in it), not only so I can do a little work in the evening, but for better security for that critical bit of work equipment.

Speaking of security, I got a pistol safe for the trunk (I keep it in what we call the "basement" -- the footwell for the rear-facing seats we don't have in the trunk; you can cable it to the "arm" there so bad guys can't just grab it and run). I don't necessarily have a pistol in there, but I wanted some extra secure storage. This one was $82 when I got it, but the company lowered the price retail price, and Amazon lowered their "discount" price too -- to just over $60. Figures!

Last (that I can think of at the moment), I have this specific mobile phone mount, which can be angled to point at the driver very nicely. It sticks perfectly to the small area of dash wood to the left of the glovebox, and doesn't cover the center screen (at least, from the driver's perspective), so I can see Waze, my podcast app, or whatever I need to.

(Yeah, living rural I pretty much get everything from Amazon, but obviously city folk can find such goodies at local stores, too.)

When I travel to places for the first time, I always plot out the route with EVTripplanner and then print out the results to compare with the trip tab in the car. I also log actual versus expected data.

I carry a cooler that plugs into the 12V socket. Bottled water for driving and the occasional beer to pop open when I stop to Supercharge if I am in a remote location. :eek: Perhaps a sandwich made at home before I leave.

I place the J1772 adapter in the tray between the seats in case I need it.

Paper maps too. I just do not like the limitations of the touchscreen or the tiny screen of my smartphone.

Trying to find some things other people haven't mentioned in their great tips above...these aren't necessarily Tesla-specific:

o Bottle of Purell and/or packet of wet wipes.

o I found a pilot's kneeboard is helpful to keep various random things organized, like extra memory cards for my dash cam, USB cables, notepad and pens, charging cards, printouts of trip-planning stuff, paper maps, etc. Plus it was an excuse for me (a non-pilot) to buy something from Sportys. :D I use this:

Flight Gear HP Bi-Fold Kneeboard

o If I'm going far enough where there's any possibility of needing a charge, then I bring along every piece of charging gear I have, including CHAdeMO adapter, J1772 adapter, UMC and all plug adapters. These things don't do any good sitting in my garage if I'm on a road trip.

o Usually a few old bath towels in the trunk, never know when you might need them.

o I wear prescription glasses with transition lenses but on a long, sunny drive, they aren't dark enough. My wife, an optometrist, recommended I get a pair of Cocoons to fit over my prescription glasses...they work pretty well when I remember to use them:

Cocoons - Professional Grade Fitovers

Bruce.

1) Blanket - just big enough to cover knees/legs, for driving on cold nights
2) Wet wipes - for the occasional bird droppings
3) Gloves - no way I am touching Supercharger dirty handles
4) Water bottles - no disposables, save the environment
5) Neck pillow
6) Sunshade for windshield - on long charges, keeps interior cool and protects touchscreen from direct sunlight
7) Microfiber towel inside glove compartment - with AP driving so relaxing, I have nothing else to do but dust off windows and anything inside. I almost always arrive at the destination with a cleaner interior than when I left
8) Windshield washer - top up before leaving
9) Small garbage bag - collects coffee cups, candy wrappers, snack wrappers, etc
10) Paper cash - for the occasional homeless person or obviously poor family I'll see; don't just give coins!

Last edited:
When I travel to places for the first time, I always plot out the route with EVTripplanner and then print out the results to compare with the trip tab in the car. I also log actual versus expected data.

I carry a cooler that plugs into the 12V socket. Bottled water for driving and the occasional beer to pop open when I stop to Supercharge if I am in a remote location. :eek: Perhaps a sandwich made at home before I leave.

I place the J1772 adapter in the tray between the seats in case I need it.

Paper maps too. I just do not like the limitations of the touchscreen or the tiny screen of my smartphone.

Second highly the .csv file from EV Trip Planner, in particular for identification of unfamiliar legs with high net elevation. Charge to +20% to +30% for those. That means starting the trip with an estimated arrival percentage of 20% or more for those few but not infrequent legs, especially in the western US. Do not trust Nav blindly. Nobody wants to drive 45mph when the speed limit is 80mph.

And also agreed - a good national paper map along with regionals have proven surprisingly helpful.

Cuidado concerning use of the console 12V for a cooler - it will shut off after a half-hour of a person not being in the driver's seat.

I had cabling hardwired from the fusebox to just aft of the passenger seat with 2 x 12V ports. One powers an Engel 45-quart refrigerator or freezer (either but not both at the same time) - there are 2 variants, regular and marine - the latter has less metal and resembles a cooler. The 60-quart, if one has an X to handle the additional height, is both a refrigerator and a freezer at the same time (2 compartments).

Accept no substitutes - the Engel has exactly one moving part (swing compressor), comes in various sizes down to 17-quart, is a long-time favorite of long-haul truckers and expedition types worldwide, and uses less than 1kW/day of electricity while maintaining temperature under most circumstances within 1 degree 24/7.

An espresso maker is just a requirement of civilization, really. This will require a tray/basket to accommodate the associated accoutrements, including proper double-walled cups and your own coffee - none of those poseur pods.

Let's see... what else... (just finished a week in British Columbia/Alberta and a 72-hour run up to Idaho and back - about 6,500-7,000 miles altogether in less than 2 weeks). 2 months ago was another 7,000 miles or so from LA to South Dakota to Vermont and back, again in about 2 weeks. Average miles per day maybe 750, with the longest leg being 1,350 miles over 28-30 hours. I don't recommend the latter unless there are 2 of youse driving.

Shower shoes are helpful.
One of those blankets that stuffs into a small sack likewise,
along with eyeshades (the kind with the elastic string)
and a good massaging U-shaped travel neck pillow with lithium ion AA batteries and spares.
Oh - and a $9 windshield sunshade from Costco - fits well.
Coat hooks.
Gallons of windshield wiper fluid else a concentrate to add to distilled water, such as Rain-X concentrate.
Gallons of spring water since it's good to stay hydrated on the road.
Compact snacks for grazing throughout the day (e.g., Trader Ho's individual trail mix bags - else your own mix into baggies, depending upon how organized you are before trips).
Change for tolls west and south of Wisconsin, pretty much.
A go bag with a week's worth of clothes and such.
Laundry detergent (pods are compact).
A roll of quarters.
Canadian money - bonus points for it being so nice and colourful
Mexican money - not that we can take our chariots into Mexico yet without voiding our warranties, loan agreements, and insurance policies.
2 lawn chairs.
A good cap to block the glare through the pano at certain times
Sunscreen
Aloe for when you forget to put on the sunscreen

(some of the) Apps I use on the road:
Waze
Google Maps --> Reviews
Trip Advisor
Yelp
Tesla
Remote S
My Fitness Pal
Blackvue
HBO GO
Trucker Path
Decibel Meter (due to road noise and wind noise)
Wunderground
Plugshare
the hotel loyalty club app of your choice - I like Marriott and Wyndham
Kayak

The combination of good dashcams (pending whatever Tesla releases in this regard "soon"), a Bel(tronics) Pro 500 radar/laser detector, and Waze running whenever the car is have proven sufficient for both avoiding all tickets including the annoying revenue-generating kind, and for recording occasional intemperate behavior on the part of fellow citizens who tend to take their half of the road out of the middle and so forth.

Window tint is a must - Photosync being the best I've found so far - including on the windshield to reduce glare. Don't worry - it's essentially invisible at 75%.

Paint protection is likewise a must (unless you live in snow country - in which case the battle is already lost so no extra harm, no extra foul) - do yourself a favor and wrap the front end else accept that rock chips will come your way. I've used OptiCoat Pro Plus with good results but it's not a barrier wrap. To reduce the work necessary to remove chitinous carcasses endemic outside of SoCal, I'm going to try a coat of Nu Polish before the next road trip.

Anyway, it's a long list, but it all fits in the car with room for 2 people and their typical travel gear.

In the end, there's a sweet spot for the combination of efficiency (e.g., at minimum, 50mph gross time - so from the time you leave Los Angeles to the time you arrive in Portland, 1000 miles, 20 hours), comfort, nutrition, and financial sense.

1) Blanket - just big enough to cover knees/legs, for driving on cold nights
2) Wet wipes - for the occasional bird droppings
3) Gloves - no way I am touching Supercharger dirty handles
4) Water bottles - no disposables, save the environment
5) Neck pillow
6) Sunshade for windshield - on long charges, keeps interior cool and protects touchscreen from direct sunlight
7) Microfiber towel inside glove compartment - with AP driving so relaxing, I have nothing else to do but dust off windows and anything inside. I almost always arrive at the destination with a cleaner interior than when I left
8) Windshield washer - top up before leaving
9) Small garbage bag - collects coffee cups, candy wrappers, snack wrappers, etc
10) Paper cash - for the occasional homeless person I'll see; don't just give coins

Nice list - sure enough I forgot to note a small garbage bag, along with microfiber towels and a dedicated microfiber to clean sunglasses, the touchscreen and the IC.

A good detailer spray I've come up with uses a repurposed pint spray bottle with a mixture of 7:1 distilled water to ONR Blue (Optimum No Rinse without wax) - so 14oz and 2oz respectively. The ONR is indispensable for car washes, so buying that by the gallon anyway ensures there's extra for the detail spray. I tie a microfiber towel around the neck of the bottle and keep it in the frunk. Often, due to the poor operational quality of Tesla's windshield wipers combined with all manner of flying critters, I've got to use that at pretty much every supercharger stop just to be able to see. And then when on the coast it's been invaluable to remove airborne gifts from digestively-challenged seabirds.

The best add to our long range trips is a ARB 50qt freezer/frige. We fill the bottom freezer with water bottles and stock it with wine, cheese and other edibles. We use it in our 6 seat X between the middle row. Since the 12V plug shuts off when the car is off the frozen water keeps the frige cool for a day or two. We travel across the country every year at least once. The handiest thing is the RPM after market drawer for the cubby. I keep my sun glasses in there with micro fiber cloths for cleaning. In the frunk is the charging cable and all the available adapter plus a couple I made for obsolete electrical outlets plus the trailer hitch and paper towels, window cleaner and small trash bags. In the passenger compartment we have pillows and a blanket for the wife. I also carry a tire plugging kit, compressor and tire gauge and a few big towels to pack the stuff so it doesn't move around.

Reactions: Naomi
1. Full charge
2. Every charging adapter I can think of from NEMA 5-15 to CHaDeMO
3. Heavy duty extension cord 10 gauge
4. Car tent
5. Knife
6. Gun where allowed
7. Gun anyway
8. Blantons or Angels Envy
9. Dehydrated food
10. Water Filtration Straw and water
11. Numerous Apple Lighting charge cables and two high output chargers
12. Blink, etc fricking cards for all the different vendors (have NOT used them in over a year now due to SuperCharger Coverage)
13. Passport (for Canada)
14. Blankets
15. Window Cleaner
16. Paper Towels
17. tire guage
18 Fix a Flat kit and pump
19 GoreTex High Visibility hoodie
20. Hand Sanitizer
21. Backpack with camelbak
22. Compass
23. Beef Jerky
24. Hiking Boots
25. Tennis Shoes
26. Wool Socks
27. Full loaded Media on iphone and ipad (Techno, Country, Rock, Dubstep, Metal etc)
28. power inverter for laptop
29. Assistant Driver (son is best - doesn't complain about launches or sleeping at superchargers on LONG road trips.
30. Will finish this later gotta go watch Season 3 of NARCOS with my best buddy.

More stuff that's helpful to have onboard:

2 canvas 2.5gal bags with handles - 1 treated with waterproofer - 303 Aerospace if I remember right. The other is filled with car wash/detail fluids, a very small measuring cup and a funnel.
A bag of microfiber towels
2 gallon commercial foamer
12V air compressor
Tire plug/coring kit
Tire tread depth gauge
Gloves
A very loud compact air horn
A hardware safe
An umbrella
One of Norm's cubby drawers
Ale and/or wine glasses suitable for chilling
A closed cell foam pad should you choose to sleep in the back
Ozium
Multitool
Adhesive

Consider a Sentri or Nexus card if you cross borders enough. Cars no longer need to be inspected separately but the overall process to secure a card initially is still not as fast as one might want.

Consider one of these as last toiletries kit you'll need to buy: Aftermath Compact Toiletries Bag

The overall idea is to be completely self-contained for 2 weeks or a 7,500-mile trip in a compact manner without having to go to a store. Then just rinse and repeat, as it were.

Last edited:
IMG_6778.jpg

Being farsighted, prior t taking delivery of my Model S, I had real concerns about my ability to read the 17" screen. My brother, who is an avid cyclist recommended Tifosi Reader Sunglasses which allowed him to read his cycling computer display. Non-prescription bifocal sunglasses.

Ordered these from Amazon. Awesome!!!

Tifosi Veloce 1040800187 Dual Lens Reading Glasses,Matte Black,68 mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EKEQZEC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_N673JHRkK4NhU

Tifosi Veloce Light Night Fototec Readers Sunglasses, Matte Black, +2.0 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PA4CZ7W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Myn3IK4DGhRzD

I would second that. And I also carry a spray bottle of Bug and Tar remover.
I also have a J772 extension cord in case of "ice-ing" but have never used it. And a Chademo adapter.
And I have multiple labelled USB flash drives with lots of interesting podcasts because I generally like them better than music. (There are several good weekly Tesla podcasts, in fact) I find paying attention to an interview or lecture keeps me awake better than music.

Little off topic, but what are some good Tesla Podcasts? I listen to a couple good Apple/Mac shows but would like some Tessa ones to add to the mix while walking downtown.

More stuff that's helpful to have onboard:

2 canvas 2.5gal bags with handles - 1 treated with waterproofer - 303 Aerospace if I remember right. The other is filled with car wash/detail fluids, a very small measuring cup and a funnel.
A bag of microfiber towels
2 gallon commercial foamer
12V air compressor
Tire plug/coring kit
Tire tread depth gauge
Gloves
A very loud compact air horn
A hardware safe
An umbrella
One of Norm's cubby drawers
Ale and/or wine glasses suitable for chilling
A closed cell foam pad should you choose to sleep in the back
Ozium
Multitool
Adhesive

Consider a Sentri or Nexus card if you cross borders enough. Cars no longer need to be inspected separately but the overall process to secure a card initially is still not as fast as one might want.

Consider one of these as last toiletries kit you'll need to buy: Aftermath Compact Toiletries Bag

The overall idea is to be completely self-contained for 2 weeks or a 7,500-mile trip in a compact manner without having to go to a store. Then just rinse and repeat, as it were.

"A very loud compact air horn" - what is it used for?