Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does FSD handle these 4 types of toll booths?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. with a person you have to pay tolls to
2. drive through toll booths with no person just license plate sensors
3. decommission toll booths which are still in the middle of the highway
4. A group of toll booths with some entrances blocked by traffic cones

I'm quite certain with 1 you have to deactivate FSD. I'm more curious with 2-4.

Um. I'm driving FSD-b, y'know, the Beta version that has City Streets.

In NJ these days, on the toll roads, it's EZ-Pass (the transponder that gets velcro'd next to the camera housing on the front windshield) everywhere: GSP, NJTP, Lincoln Tunnel, George Washington Bridge. There are some full-service toll booths about, but I don't use 'em.

FSD-b does a sort-of-OK job on the booths. Not sure how it knows, but somewhere I think I told it that I have a transponder. So far, it's been aiming at those booths and not, say, any full-service booths with a human around.

Generally, it runs up towards the booths somewhat faster than I would, but not crazily. When it actually enters the area between the concrete barriers it slows to a crawl, around 4-5 mph, goes on through, then takes 'way too long to put the pedal down and get out of there. Once it gets going it does the merge follies with everybody else around reasonably well.

Having said all that: This is the Beta, with the attached Release Notes saying, "The car will do the wrong thing at the worst time. Stay alert!" Toll booths are definitely one of Those Kind of Places, but so far, so good.

There are a few places where the road divides and there's overhead detectors for the EZ-Pass. People pass through at speed, no slow-down. The car picks those faster lanes without asking.

Went back and forth to NYC a few days ago. The Lincoln Tunnel has this wonderful (not!) Helix where, when going to NYC, cars do a 270-degree turn, go through the booths, then go into one or the other of the tunnel entrances. It's traffic cone central, what with the (always present) construction and lane moving around that happens during rush/non-rush hours. The car didn't freak out, too badly, but did jerk a bit. In the other direction there's what seems to be at least four roads that all turn into the approaches for the tunnels; with this, it got totally confused and swerved across two lanes on a multiple-lanes-all-go-right-then-merge, guided by traffic cones. So, FSD-b doesn't have that down right. I intervened and got into the tunnel, reporting to Tesla as I went. (If one is on FSD-b and takes over because of idiocy, the car helpfully prompts one and asks, "What went wrong?" If the adrenaline factor isn't too bad, one attempts to summarize the disaster in the 20-second window that they give you.) On this last incident, it wasn't quite as dangerous as it sounds: When it went across the two lanes, the traffic in front was stopped and there wasn't anything coming up from the rear, either. But it shouldn't have oughta done that, just should have gotten behind the left-lane-of-two car and stopped.

No surprise here: FSD-b isn't ready for Prime Tiime, but that's why there's software developers.

that has always been one of my worries, and what is keeping me from subscribing to FSD, along with potholes and small road objects like shredded truck tires, rocks, dead animals and cars driven by drunk drivers swerving unpredictably along the highway.

1. with a person you have to pay tolls to
2. drive through toll booths with no person just license plate sensors
3. decommission toll booths which are still in the middle of the highway
4. A group of toll booths with some entrances blocked by traffic cones

I'm quite certain with 1 you have to deactivate FSD. I'm more curious with 2-4.
I am a long way from wondering how it handles these kinds of things. I am more worried about how it handles busy 4-way stops and traffic circles!

That said, most of the toll booths I encounter these days are not actually booths, but the automatic license plate/transponder sensor types anyway. I suspect that long before FSD is truly full self driving that most of the old "booth" infrastructure will be removed in favor of these new systems. Until then, I would surely disable FSD prior to approaching anything that looked even mildly challenging to the car.

@gflar I can tell for sure that #4 is NOT ready yet. I've tried it so far 5 times (as this scenario is part of my daily commute) and I had to avoid a crash 4 times. It only got it right once.

I sent a voice report to Tesla in each instance. I just activated FSD 2 days ago but I have the latest update (M3LR 2020), so that's why I tried it only 5 times. I'll try again in the next update.