Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far are you willing to keep your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the roads are that bad and have that many pot holes in NJ, then every tire bought should have a hazzard warranty. U should have roadside assistance on your car policy, i do, its works.
Also your car policy should cover wheels, i hit a brick, broke wheel on my PU, insurance bought new wheel. Mag wheels are just like winshields.
Every car is offered roadside assistance up to 50,000 miles accessible only cover up to 50 miles to either your house or to any repair center to fix the rim or tires or Tesla dealer anything over fifty miles you have to come out of pocket Tesla does not offer road hazard coverage to the rims or tires reason why I'm in this situation but luckily I was able to find that ETD Discount Tires offers road hazard coverage two prior tires through the dealer but they will not cover your rims so any Rim damage is out of your pocket

Of course sidewall impacts aren't repairable. Sidewall impacts are driver error issues typically, although unexpected road hazards can also cause, but more often than not, from spin outs where the tire hits a curb.

Um no? ... I have not had a sidewall flat from a curb.T he sidewall flats have been from brutal potholes. I once got two flats at once from a pothole that were u repairable. When I pulled over that time, many other cars pulled off with me as we all kept getting flats...

Every car is offered roadside assistance up to 50,000 miles accessible only cover up to 50 miles to either your house or to any repair center to fix the rim or tires or Tesla dealer anything over fifty miles you have to come out of pocket Tesla does not offer road hazard coverage to the rims or tires reason why I'm in this situation but luckily I was able to find that ETD Discount Tires offers road hazard coverage two prior tires through the dealer but they will not cover your rims so any Rim damage is out of your pocket

Yeah I was actually upset couldn't not get rim and tire coverage. Usually I say no to all the add-ons, but on a car this heavy with 20" rims and rubber band tires, I was hoping I could. Darn Tesla not having a sneaky finance office :)

Please provide more information on your "blowouts" - do you have any visual documentation/pictures of the tires? I have never heard of anyone having more than one 'blowout' in six months or two in a year (defined as explosive/rapid decompression of tire from a large puncture), more often than not the sidewall, and typically from lateral impact with either curbs or other large objects.

There is a reason why spare tires are disappearing from cars, including the Model 3. It's incredibly hard to generate a true 'blowout" from a more commonplace tread puncture, such as a nail or other sharp metal object. Typically those generate a slow leak that can be plugged with sealant well enough to get to a service area.

Also, Michelin has some of the best QC in the industry. Where did you get your replacement tires? Was it just the OEMs that failed or did replacements fail? Something just doesn't make sense here. Unless you are driving on Summer performance tires like the 4S when the temp is below 35F. Then you are asking for trouble, and shouldn't be blaming Tesla or Michelin.
Yeah I was actually upset couldn't not get rim and tire coverage. Usually I say no to all the add-ons, but on a car this heavy with 20" rims and rubber band tires, I was hoping I could. Darn Tesla not having a sneaky finance office :)

I thinking all dealerships not just Tesla had done away with the spare tires I believe since 2015 or 14 due to the fact that they're making tons of money out of you

I thinking all dealerships not just Tesla had done away with the spare tires I believe since 2015 or 14 due to the fact that they're making tons of money out of you

The no spares was the manufacturers. It was a combo of a few things:
  • Tires are much more reliable.
  • Spares added weight, which is the enemy of efficiency.
  • Pump kit is lighter and cheaper.
  • Spares cost money.
  • Spares take up valuable space.
The only luxury with spares now are Audi and Cadillac if memory serves me right. That has always been a requirement for me, hint the full size in my trunk right now:)

If you meant the tire and rim protection plan, as far as I know, that's still a staple?

The only issues with the tires is that if once I go over any sort of type of pothole I'm more likely to get damage to the rims cuz they're so fragile and sensitive, so I want to be able to drive around without having to drive like an old lady with a high performance car just doesn't make sense to me

I would guess that you've never had a car with 35 series tires before? They require a bit more vigilance about potholes, and you just can't drive Michelin 4S tires 35 series over a big pothole in cold temps and not have serious issues. Perhaps you might do some reading on all this - Both Car and Driver and Tire Rack have primers on this stuff. They explicitly warn against what you may be doing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Halloween81
I replaced sensors because I have two sets. I think, and this is a guess, that you are fine using OEM.

Here is a pic with the wheels (pardon how dirty)View attachment 379461

I got the gunmetal silver. Nice cheap and lightweight wheel for winter abuse!! What tires and size are those? I went with 235/40/19 blizzak lm32’s. Their tread width is too narrow for 9” though and there’s a bit more stretch than I’d like. Yours doesn’t look bad at all though.

Reactions: dfwatt

I am not aware of any auto manufacturer that provides road hazard coverage for tires. The previous cars I have bought all provide a warranty packet from the tire manufacturer. I think the tire manufacturer covers manufacturing defects and tread-wear issues, not road hazard. Most if not all road hazard policies are sold by tire shops. Is anyone aware of an auto manufacturer that covers new tires at delivery with a replacement type of warranty?

I think the reason you are in this situation is not because of Tesla, but the option choices you made at car purchase. Not sure it is up to Tesla to question you about where you drive, and the condition of the roads.

Edit: I just rolled over 30k yesterday. So I think I am in this for the long run.

Reactions: Halloween81
Um no? ... I have not had a sidewall flat from a curb.T he sidewall flats have been from brutal potholes. I once got two flats at once from a pothole that were u repairable. When I pulled over that time, many other cars pulled off with me as we all kept getting flats...

So how is this a reflection on rim and/or tire if that many cars were knocked out of commission?

PSA Alert.

Here is LA, we are plagued with potholes(due to bureaucratic BS, IMO) and it doesnt matter if you drive a race car or a big semi truck, Pot holes are the devil and will eventually damage critical components from wheels, tires to even suspension pieces to even cracking your windshield (all of these have happened to me)

There is a fundamental driving style change that needs to happen regardless of what vehicle you have driven previously and needs to progress to defensive driving where you avoid potholes/road dips/debris/leprechauns versus drive over them.

Your car and your wallet/bank account will thank you( and me) for it later

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing and Magnets!
You sure post that a lot. One of these days she may visit this site.

That is my fear. A TMC friend almost leaked my username to her. Dodged that bullet!!

The main thing that almost got me found was the white seats. She knew it was a very expensive option on the Model X. We have cloth on that one. I told her premium options were “included in all Model 3s available for sale” so white was a very marginal increase overall.

Was I factually wrong?

Speaking of which, anyone want to buy a
Limited Edition Short Range Model X Dual Motor? Has exclusive and limited features like

-Basic white paint. No longer in production.
-Cloth Seats. No longer in production.
-Non premium upgrade package upgrade. No longer in production.
-Legally compliant as it has a front license plate installed.
-Limited Edition Yellow Border on MCU screen. I've been told this will be fixed forever this year.

Better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission, huh?

I think this has been true since the dawn of time and will be true up to the heat death of the universe.

Last edited:
omething just doesn't make sense here. Unless you are driving on Summer performance tires like the 4S when the temp is below 35F.

Bingo - that is exactly what he described. Not only has it been below 35F during this period but it's been down to 0F. The rubber turns glass-like and splits like a mozzarella ball. Probably the tire did not blowout, but the rubber split while the casing remained intact (see a pic of my pilot 4S tire that suffered this exact type of damage).

...and Tesla does deserve some blame for first of all delivering a car with the worst possible choice of tire in the winter (the 4S) in NY (and other colder places). The tires were already compromised just from being exposed to the those temperatures prior to delivery. On top of that they advised that there is no real concern with driving on these tires during NY winter. I know people are going to say the user shouldn't listen to the SC and should research and follow the manufacturer specs. There is some truth to that, but there's a lot of truth to the idea that a customer should at least be warned that their tires have been compromised prior to delivery and moreover are unsafe to drive in current weather conditions. At my delivery they opened the door and told me to go ahead and drive out. You need some twisted logic to claim that isn't negligent.

lrrJddzbQg+MS4FTjY6VOw.jpg

Last edited:
Bingo - that is exactly what he described. Not only has it been below 35F during this period but it's been down to 0F. Rubber turns to glass and splits like a mozzarella ball. Probably the tire did not blowout, but the rubber split while the casing remained intact (see a pic of my pilot 4S tire that suffered this exact type of damage).

View attachment 379727

Yes Halloween has refused to clarify that question directly but it's pretty obvious he's abusing the crap out of his tires. It's amazing how many people blame Tesla for their own lack of knowledge about cars tires Etc and then have to pay a hefty repair bills because they did something really stupid and then they keep doing stupid s***. Oh well.

• Love
Reactions: MXWing and outdoors
PSA Alert.

Here is LA, we are plagued with potholes(due to bureaucratic BS, IMO) and it doesnt matter if you drive a race car or a big semi truck, Pot holes are the devil and will eventually damage critical components from wheels, tires to even suspension pieces to even cracking your windshield (all of these have happened to me)

There is a fundamental driving style change that needs to happen regardless of what vehicle you have driven previously and needs to progress to defensive driving where you avoid potholes/road dips/debris/leprechauns versus drive over them.

Your car and your wallet/bank account will thank you( and me) for it later

Absolutely I totally agree my last car was a Toyota Corolla and I basically was driving my model 3 Performance like a Toyota Corolla were I wasn't aware that I need to maneuver and be more cautious and aware of my surroundings when driving this car now of course I found out the hard way but they're still occasions that I need to have at least 7 car links opening of a gap just so I can see and be aware of potholes being approached so I can outmaneuver myself around it

• Love
Reactions: 12yan
Bingo - that is exactly what he described. Not only has it been below 35F during this period but it's been down to 0F. The rubber turns glass-like and splits like a mozzarella ball. Probably the tire did not blowout, but the rubber split while the casing remained intact (see a pic of my pilot 4S tire that suffered this exact type of damage).

...and Tesla does deserve some blame for first of all delivering a car with the worst possible choice of tire in the winter (the 4S) in NY (and other colder places). The tires were already compromised just from being exposed to the those temperatures prior to delivery. On top of that they advised that there is no real concern with driving on these tires during NY winter. I know people are going to say the user shouldn't listen to the SC and should research and follow the manufacturer specs. There is some truth to that, but there's a lot of truth to the idea that a customer should at least be warned that their tires have been compromised prior to delivery and moreover are unsafe to drive in current weather conditions. At my delivery they opened the door and told me to go ahead and drive out. You need some twisted logic to claim that isn't negligent.

View attachment 379727
Ouch!!!