Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far will Tesla go to fix alignment issues (doors, chrome trim, etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious about other owners' experiences with Tesla so far with fixing door alignment issues as well as trim alignment and front windows alignment. I'm still waiting for the service center to set an appointment for my car, they are "waiting for a part to come in" and have "no indication" on delivery times for that part. So until then, I'm hoping some of you guys in the forum can help set some expectations for me as far as those pesky alignment issues go. Any thoughts? Anyone had any luck getting a well aligned Model X?

My big problem areas are:
  • Driver side window appears to be too far forward, not touching the entire seal and causing wind noise and "whistling" on the freeway.
  • Driver's side upper door frame too high, not aligned with the driver's side FWD.
  • Driver's side door sticking out in the area above the door button.
  • Driver's side rear quarter window chrome doesn't seem to fit in it's space? A little too high and a little too forward, it is sticking past the frame. The SC techs said they would have to "cut out" the rear quarter window and replace it to fix it since there is no way to re-align it. They made it sound like it would be really difficult, almost like they wanted me to just accept it the way it is.
  • Driver's side FWD wheel well sticking out from the rest of the wheel well.
For what it's worth, the passenger side appears to be much better aligned, not perfect, but not enough out of alignment for me to complain. Different employee on the production line?

Judging by the experience of other Tesla owners, Tesla will work hard to fix your issues. It probably will take a while to get parts and time to do the work, but they will keep at it until you are satisfied.

GSP

Lease or purchase? In either case, I would insist on getting highway noise solved.

Other cosmetic items matter to me if bought, less so if Tesla’s.....

I purchased mine. So yeah, I would like the alignment and chrome issues to be fixed.

The tech at the SC just kept saying things like "it's very complicated" in regards to the FWD alignment, and even mentioned "setting expectations" of what is possible to fix. :( So that's why I'm asking in this thread.

I purchased mine. So yeah, I would like the alignment and chrome issues to be fixed.

The tech at the SC just kept saying things like "it's very complicated" in regards to the FWD alignment, and even mentioned "setting expectations" of what is possible to fix. :( So that's why I'm asking in this thread.

Understand...it probably would assist in feedback if folks could see the pictures (FWIW: tech may suggest it’s complicated but c’mon that’s their job to fix).

Keith, curious when did you take delivery?

We got ours on 3/31 too. We have an alignment issue with one of the FWD also.

It closes fine, but you can tell it sits high and the chrome trim doesn't align well and the door itself isn't flush/level with the rest of the roof. We noticed this when we picked up the car and they created a due bill there. Took the car in to have it inspected a couple of weeks later, and I have an appt on 5/25 to get it taken care of. We'll see what kind of job they do and how well it aligns afterwards, but they said it's likely to be a full day job.

We got ours on 3/31 too. We have an alignment issue with one of the FWD also.

It closes fine, but you can tell it sits high and the chrome trim doesn't align well and the door itself isn't flush/level with the rest of the roof. We noticed this when we picked up the car and they created a due bill there. Took the car in to have it inspected a couple of weeks later, and I have an appt on 5/25 to get it taken care of. We'll see what kind of job they do and how well it aligns afterwards, but they said it's likely to be a full day job.

5/25? I wonder if all the service centers are getting overloaded between doing the detailing on new MXs and dealing with current MX issues.

I have exactly same problem on both driver and passenger windows with seals having gap with the window. Causing large wind noise. I usually roll window all the way down and all the way up again. Repeat this process sometimes the noise disappears. I still don't know any perment fix on those unless all seals around windows are replaced.

The biggest problem I have, if you even want to call it that, is that the rear of the passenger FWD is perhaps 3 mm to low. I suspect if they even tried to fix it they would tweak it somewhere else so I think I will just let it pass as a 'character flaw'. Plus it might be better for the seals to settle in for a number of months before I judge exactly how the doors fit long term.

Photos would help, or compare with another Model X. In regard to the small rear window on the sides, the chrome on the top edge does have more space between the chrome and hatch. It doesn't look right, but it is normal. That is why comparing with other Model X vehicles will help.

Post a photo of the problem area if another Model X cannot be seen locally. The "Upload a File" button during the editing of these posts is the easiest way to attach a photo. I resize my photos to a smaller image before uploading and/or use the thumbnail choice after uploading.

Thanks Mark, I'm actually desperate to compare with other Model Xs in my area. I wonder if we could form some sort of meet up so that we could compare problems and issues and try to figure out what is an issue and what is just design. Any owners in the Portland area interested in a meet-up?

A side note: I've tried googling "Meet Model Xs in your area" and it never goes well :p.

...Any owners in the Portland area interested in a meet-up?...

You have an owner's group in your area: PDX Tesla (Portland, Oregon) | Tesla Motors Club

Join the group and enjoy meeting up with the Portland enthusiasts.

The service centers that are delivery locations can be a source of viewing new Tesla vehicles from the outside. This was important in the early days when seeing paint colors and/or wheel types made ordering easier. While new vehicles are usually restricted from viewing, I would imagine if what you are experiencing is found on other Model X, that the management of the service center would allow you to view another Model X to help explain what can be normal and what isn't right.

If you have a detailer in your area that specializes in paint correction and/or wraps for Tesla vehicles, they can provide feedback. My detailer was able to determine what was wrong with my early teenage VIN Model X when there were no other vehicles to compare with. Detailers who work on new Tesla cars frequently monitor the quality differences, since they see what the factory is doing wrong. My concern of the leather creasing was laid to rest when the detailer said that all fine leathers did that. In regard to my clear coat defects, the detailer wet sanded the new Model X to allow for flawless wrapping of the hood.

I will repeat what others have mentioned. At delivery, it is most critical to check for defects that could be blamed on you later. Scratches and blemishes are what you really want to look for and call to their attention before driving home. Alignment of trim and parts while important, can and should be addressed even if it gets out of alignment later. Make up a "punch list" with photos. Try to compare with other Model X or show us the photos for our feedback. If it isn't right, Tesla Motors should make it right and always has (most of the time) in my situation.

The process can be frustrating but the results are worth the effort. Document what you need done and give the Service Center the list of items you know need to be corrected. New problems will occur later, so be ready to update the list as needed.

I have exactly same problem on both driver and passenger windows with seals having gap with the window. Causing large wind noise. I usually roll window all the way down and all the way up again. Repeat this process sometimes the noise disappears. I still don't know any perment fix on those unless all seals around windows are replaced.
Take a look at this picture of the seal on the front of the door windows where it meets the small fixed pane. Note the gasket is underneath the moveable window until the last inch or so. Does yours look like this too? When I got my car the seal was under the glass on the last inch and the middle part was on top of the glass. I carefully raised the window poking and guiding the glass and seal until they were as depicted in the picture. After a few days they 'learned' this position and now all is good. The drivers door was wrong but the passenger door was always correct. This is how I discovered the error.
20160501_082911_resized.jpg

Take a look at this picture of the seal on the front of the door windows where it meets the small fixed pane. Note the gasket is underneath the moveable window until the last inch or so. Does yours look like this too? When I got my car the seal was under the glass on the last inch and the middle part was on top of the glass. I carefully raised the window poking and guiding the glass and seal until they were as depicted in the picture. After a few days they 'learned' this position and now all is good. The drivers door was wrong but the passenger door was always correct. This is how I discovered the error.
View attachment 174799

I don't have the rubber piece covering the glass. Here is my pic. My wind noise seems to come from the top where the glass meets the insert along the entire curve of the glass. My window joints all look ok, but having intermittent wind noise here and there.

Attachments

• IMG_6715.JPG
    IMG_6715.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 308
I had some issues with my S in the beginning. Very small stuff. Door handles were a little deeper then others, chrome trim was a little off. They fixed it all instantly when I mentioned it.

That is good. The problem with the X is hard to pin points all the issues at the same time. You drive it, something needs to be fixed. You drive again, something needs to be fixed. You start to learn which issues are worth taken in to SC and which issues to just live with it.

Reactions: mercc3650