Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far will Tesla go to fix alignment issues (doors, chrome trim, etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The seals are definitely in need of evolution. I live on a very dusty California dirt road, and that makes for very revealing imagery when it comes to where seals are underperforming. I certainly assume that Tesla is working on seal redesign/refactoring. I'll leave it at that for now.

Its very concerning, temperatures in my city fall as low as -30°C with wind chills -40°C on some days , my ICE car is my winter back up,

@CaliX, how is your X? Did Tesla fix everything to your satisfaction?

Ok @ModelXBoy I picked up my X today and they fixed all the major and minor stuff (alignment issues that the other SC said couldn't be fixed etc...) now my X looks like it just came off the production line instead of looking like it was an early build. I am very happy.

Thank you to Tesla Van Nuys, Fernando who is amazing, Raymond and Bridgette. I highly recommend going to see Fernando at Van Nuys if you live in the Los Angeles area.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delayed update. TM took my X back to the mother-ship to fix my alignment issues. It now looks like it is supposed to. Very happy with the service and have total faith in TM making any issue right. IMG_20160629_071852.jpg
IMG_20160629_071852.jpg
IMG_20160629_071841.jpg

• Love
Reactions: aesculus and ModelX
The design features of the car make the alignment issues glaring. My SC went above and beyond to fix mine. Big shout out to Tim at the Scottsdale shop.

Still some wind noise that I will ask them to address. See some of the seals are a bit scrunched. Anyone out there have no wind noise?

Anyone out there have no wind noise?
None that I have noticed up to 85 mph. Once the door did not close all the way because it was very windy. Once I got up to speed I really noticed the wind coming in from the back of the drivers door window. I slowed down, cracked the door open and had it reset itself. It was quiet all the way home even though I was going 70 mph and the wind was a drivers side cross wind at 30 mph.

Reactions: JimVandegriff
Update: Took 4 separate service center visits (none of which were only for this issue), but I finally got the brightwork / chrome trim adjusted to my satisfaction. The final adjustment which made the most difference was to inject some window sealant to basically lift up the right side a millimeter or two and also correct some sagging/looseness of that piece. Before and after pics:

Before
image.jpeg

After
image.jpeg

My car came off the assembly line the first week they started making cars in early January. In the six months since the car was delivered to the SC it has spend over 16 weeks in for service for various repairs. I won't go over all the issues as I have posted about them in the past.

One problem which caused multiple trips in for service was a very loud wind noice coming from both the driver and passenger windows. During the last trip in for service it looks like they fixed this problem. This was after replacing the glass and gaskets. The only major thing left to do is to replace the rear tail gate assembly. It is cocked to one side which causes a misalignment problem. They said they will need my car for about 4 -6 weeks to do the work.

Even though I have had a lot of problems Tesla has been good at addressing every issue I have had. We love our Tesla and have really gotten spoiled with the Model X.

My recommendation is don't get one of the first Model 3's off the line. Wait at least until the first 10,000 - 20,000 have been produced.

Reactions: srini
One problem which caused multiple trips in for service was a very loud wind noice coming from both the driver and passenger windows. During the last trip in for service it looks like they fixed this problem. This was after replacing the glass and gaskets.
Which glass and gaskets? The large window glass or that little triangle up front?

My car has a bit of wind noise coming from the rear of the large door window. Most noticeable during cross winds. I think a thicker gasket could fix it, or perhaps a slight tilting of the glass. The door cannot move into the car more as it is flush with the FWDs.

At the various times they did different things. First they tried just adjusting the gasket. Next thing they did was to replace the triangular piece of glass at the front of each window and then just the gaskets around the triangular glass. I believe in the end they had to replace the entire Windows and surrounding gaskets. At one point they were insisting the wind noise was no more than other Model X's. The service manager drove to my house which is 65 miles from the service center to take a test drive with me in the car. As soon as he got in the car and we started down the road along the beach and the crosswind started blowing not only could you hear the noise you could feel the wind. This is the first time they finally admitted there was a problem.

With the latest software upgrade I now have a different problem with the windows. In the past the window would automatically go down an inch and then when the door would close and the window would go up to make the seal. Now it doesn't go down before closing and therefore the window is hitting the frame and it causes an inch gap between the window and gasket. I was hoping they would send out another update so I wouldn't have to call the SC to pick up the car for service again. I have tried going through the adjustment process with no luck.

I got an early signiture model and had many issues with hatch and trim alignment. After a couple of SC adjestments, they still were not to my liking event though they were within the cars specs. They finally outsources the alignment to a 3rd party (i guess this infrequent requirement does not warrant full SC capability) and now the alignment is perfect....Love the X

I got an early signiture model and had many issues with hatch and trim alignment. After a couple of SC adjestments, they still were not to my liking event though they were within the cars specs. They finally outsources the alignment to a 3rd party (i guess this infrequent requirement does not warrant full SC capability) and now the alignment is perfect....Love the X
How many days did you have to keep taking it in before it was perfect?

The SC had my car for a total of about 4 weeks in 3 sessions for the alignment and a number of other issues (fwd/service notifications/suspension/etc)..(luckily I was away on trips and did not need the car for much of this time. After these, I gave them the car for another 3 week (again while I was on a scheduled trip), and they sent it to the 3rd party and performed some other minor fixes. It is so nice now to have a fully functional car with perfect trim/hatch alignment.

Reactions: ModelX
As soon as he got in the car and we started down the road along the beach and the crosswind started blowing not only could you hear the noise you could feel the wind.
This is how mine is but to a smaller extent it sounds like. None the less there should be no air coming in when there are cross winds.

I will put up with this for the remainder of the year and see what they discover on their own. We do need others like you and me reporting cross wind problems or it will never get attention.

This is how mine is but to a smaller extent it sounds like. None the less there should be no air coming in when there are cross winds.

I will put up with this for the remainder of the year and see what they discover on their own. We do need others like you and me reporting cross wind problems or it will never get attention.
Add me to that list. My cross-wind issue is very noticeable. It's on my list for the appointment this month.

I also have a crosswind noise.