Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is the linked key fob supposed to work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ended up removing the fob from my wife's profile because the seat would often end up so far forward that I couldn't get in the car. The problem I found was that if she was sitting in the passenger seat, and had her fob with her, and I got out of the car (like walking away for a restroom break on a road trip) the driver's seat would reposition to her profile before I got back to the driver's seat again.
I think she was messing with you ;).

In all seriousness, that's very odd, it's only supposed to reposition when you open the door to re-enter the car.

• Funny
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
I ended up removing the fob from my wife's profile because the seat would often end up so far forward that I couldn't get in the car. The problem I found was that if she was sitting in the passenger seat, and had her fob with her, and I got out of the car (like walking away for a restroom break on a road trip) the driver's seat would reposition to her profile before I got back to the driver's seat again.

I had a similar issue with both fobs in the car. I think turning off automatic locks might solve the problem... But, i don't really want to do that.

My fob happens to be Fob 2.... not sure if both fobs are present that it will prefer fob 1... That might be a solution. Or just only set linking for the primary driver to avoid the issue.

Tesla is missing a lot of features some other luxury/standard cars have, but they're working on it. So maybe some day we'll get exit profiles.
Tesla does not need too! We call our setting "exit" . It is another personal profile that you build, adjust, according to you're body type. A tall person fore-instance might want a different personal "exit", "park" profile than me.

Tesla does not need too! We call our setting "exit" . It is another personal profile that you build, adjust, according to you're body type. A tall person fore-instance might want a different personal "exit", "park" profile than me.
Tesla "needs to" go all out and has a seat sensor that detects that you're in the car so that you don't have to press an "on" button, which no other car manufacturer does (that I'm aware of).

But Tesla "does not need to" have an automatic exit profile, so that you don't have to click on the exit profile each and every time you get out of the car.

The logic is sound!

The whole fob 1/ fob 2 was confusing to me, I experience situations where my wife opens the rear passenger door to put our daughter in her seat and when I go to open the front driver door to get in, the seat is adjusting to her setting. Some flexibility perhaps on which handles trigger the change or what/how you trigger the change (touch handle vs. press key fob) might be good.

They need to set the profile based on which fob is closest to the outside of the drivers door when the door is opened, like other manufacturers do it. Right now, I have to make sure I approach the car first and trigger the automatic unlock before my wife's key, otherwise it will set her profile even though I open the drivers door. I am wondering if they lack the ability to localize the fobs more than just inside or outside.

Reactions: Max*
We've been finding it's not even terribly reliable for the basic case. My wife and I have our own keys and each use the car. Frequently, when I drove last but she gets into drive, the car will recognize it was her key. The center console will change to her profile and has her name at the top. However, none of the settings get applied. She has to change to my profile and then back to her own to get it to work.

Very strange. I might just disassociate her key for awhile until it's fixed since that's worse than just selecting the profile manually.

We've been finding it's not even terribly reliable for the basic case. My wife and I have our own keys and each use the car. Frequently, when I drove last but she gets into drive, the car will recognize it was her key. The center console will change to her profile and has her name at the top. However, none of the settings get applied. She has to change to my profile and then back to her own to get it to work.

Very strange. I might just disassociate her key for awhile until it's fixed since that's worse than just selecting the profile manually.
I've seen the same thing here. However, I noticed the mirrors do get changed, it's just the seat that's at my wife's setting under my profile.

One explanation for the fob not triggering the right profile when you unlock: If you have "Always Connected" selected under Displays, the car may be asleep when you approach, and it doesn't seem to be able to trigger the appropriate profile before it fully powers back up. Seems like a bug to me - some things (like unlocking) work when the car's asleep, so they should be able to make the profile-switching work too.

My experience was different from what many are describing here. I just sat in my MS with ONE fob in my pocket, and chose DRIVER PROFILE SETTINGS from the profiles main menu. (It's at the bottom of the list, below Valet Mode). From there I selected my profile name from the drop down list. There was a blue option for Link with Fob 2, which I selected. It changed to Linked with Fob 2, letting me know the link was successful.
I then got out and walked away, letting my key fob lock the car.

I then got my wife's fob (leaving mine far away in the house) and returned to the car. went back to DRIVER PROFILE SETTINGS and this time selected my wife's profile. Again there was a blue option, this time saying Link with Fob 1. I selected that, and it immediately turned to a white Linked with Fob 1 message.

So far, operation has been flawless. It has nothing to do with whose fob is nearest the driver's door, or who is where, or how you unlocked. The car simply selects each time the profile linked to the fob which caused it to unlock. So if two fob carrying people approach the car together, or from different sides, it will unlock the car for the first fob it detects and selects the profile linked to that fob.
You can test this by standing at a distance and doubling clicking a fob to unlock- whichever fob you clicked on will summon its associated profile.

I find it interesting that the needed adjustments don't take place when the car unlocks- they begin when the door opens. Therefore, if my wife drove the car most recently, the seat and steering wheel start moving to my preferred positions only when I tug the door handle.

• Helpful
Reactions: Kiembbui