Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many are going to pass on the Enhanced Autopilot and Full Service Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dunno... seems much too premature to render a yea or nay proclamation at this time. It's probably at least a year away from when non-employees will be able to configure their vehicles and, by then, we'll hopefully know a lot more: such as the price of these features (which may or may not be the same as on the S/X), how far along Tesla will be with enabling these features on the S/X (which may be an indicator of their readiness on the 3) and how useful they really are in real-world situations (for cost/benefit analysis by individual owners).

So, I'm not going to jump to any conclusions until it's time for me to configure.

You don't have to believe it for it to be true. No AP for me. I used cruise control for the first time a couple years ago (and that was just to keep myself from speeding). I prefer shifting my own gears. If it were free, I might use it from time to time but I wouldn't pay extra for it. Even if it worked to prevent accidents it would be like riding as a passenger in a car with someone who's driving habits I didn't like. No thanks.
There won't be any gear shifting on a Tesla.

There is only 1 real gear and that's Ludicrous.

• Funny
Reactions: BluestarE3
I live in Los Angeles, here freeways and main avenues are parking lots during rush hours, APv2 would make my life better. Yet 8k is a lot, I will try my best to get at least Enhanced AP, but it all depends on how much the other options will cost.

If I do get it, I'll probably buy it later since it's software, and I'll rather get hardware options first (battery, seats, etc ).

I don't see any rationality in passing on the E-AP. There is a clear indication of what's to be expected from it along with time line for it. I also don't see much regulatory challenge with it. Passing up on it seems like a regrettable decision. If a buyer is concerned about it I would advise simply holding off on the purchase till Jan 2017.

As to full service driving I see absolutely ZERO rationality in it. Sure I get that you could potentially save thousands if you pay for it now, but you're way more likely to lose $3K or a good part of that. Tesla makes it quite clear regulations could bring the whole thing to a halt, and they give no time line as to when to expect anything as a result of that. Plus in 3-4 years you might want to get a different car because life changes. Not only that, but we don't even know how well the Camera Sensors will do in the rain.

Now that isn't to say I would pass up on the full self driving package. I might get it simply because I'm passionate about that technology, and I'm okay with it not being a rational decision. Where I know I spent that $3K not in the expectation of actually getting it in any reasonable time period, but that I support autonomous driving. I say that as being one of the most cynical people regarding L5 driving being possible without serious infranstructure changes.

If I did get that package, and I ended up getting L3 (with known take over points) or L4 I would be perfectly content.

you're going to spend 35k+8k+10K on a car because some people will give you disappointed looks?
Ah, but isn't the emotional element is a big part of one's car buying decision? Certain marques evoke certain emotions, images and expectations from car buyers (that is, until they get cheapened and homogenized by corporate buy-outs and bean counters). Tesla has taken the image of electric cars (for that matter, cars in general) to a whole new expectation level of performance and technological advancement. Now, whether or not getting all these unique features associated with the Tesla brand is worth the additional 50% bump on the base price of the car is something each owner will have to decide for him/herself. :)

Reactions: JeffK
you're going to spend 35k+8k+10K on a car because some people will give you disappointed looks?
Exactly! :cool: My electric car must be the envy of every ICE owner on the block. It's how I'm going to do my part to encourage interest in electrics.

While I'm not rich, my area is full of very high end ICE cars and lots of rich people. The car must best their car in every fashion (except "luxury", don't really care about that).

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: BluestarE3
If people are going to be impressed, I think 95% will be impressed by any Tesla.

But then there are people like me who when they see a Tesla they immediately look for the badge...

"oh, that's an S60... I guess he couldn't spring for the good one."

Don't get me wrong, I love all Teslas and would be happy to have any of them, but as they say "go big or go home" ;)

I've been working two jobs just to save more cash for this so I can finance less. It'd take forever to save up to a fully spec'd the Model S, but the Model 3 is more practical due to it's size and a fully spec'd one is much more affordable relatively speaking. Besides a house, it's still going to be one of the biggest purchases of my life. I, therefore, plan to have it for quite a while and might as well get all the features they offer.

Now a more important decision... is there a "best" color? :D

• Disagree
Reactions: alseTrick
But then there are people like me who when they see a Tesla they immediately look for the badge...

Don't get me wrong, I love all Teslas and would be happy to have any of them, but as they say "go big or go home" ;)

I've been working two jobs just to save more cash for this so I can finance less. It'd take forever to save up to a fully spec'd the Model S, but the Model 3 is more practical due to it's size and a fully spec'd one is much more affordable relatively speaking. Besides a house, it's still going to be one of the biggest purchases of my life. I, therefore, plan to have it for quite a while and might as well get all the features they offer.

Lol, i do the same thing everytime i see teslas, look for the badge. I think the general public that doesn't pay a lot of attention to electrics/teslas are impressed by any tesla though.

LOL. You don't own one, and won't for awhile, and you look "down" on someone that has a Model S60 now??

hehe. Funny. I originally planned to get the S60 as well, since that's the cheapest. Then the AP2 and the fully self drive came out. Since full self drive won't come out for awhile, it's going to be a long term investment. So, I might as well get the one that I actually "want" so it would last long enough to make use of the new hardware and software (eventually)... hopefully...